UKC

Mauritius

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 25 Sep 2014
Does anyone know anything about mountain walking and climbing in Mauritius? There doesn't seem to be much published material. Are the paths well defined and signed?

Thanks
 Ray Sharples 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Trangia:

I've been out there a few times with work but never really climbed anything. There is much impressive rock but a lot of it looks fairly loose since geologically its quite a young island. I've also been told that one of the problems is that much of the land in Mauritius is privately owned, and apart from a few of the more obvious routes like Le Pouce (in Lonely Planet), there isn't much in the way of guidebooks which can lead to problematic encounters. Pieter Both looks very impressive when you first see it from the right angle!

Hope you get something done. Reunion is even more of an outdoor paradise if you get the chance.
 MikeLell 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Trangia:

I climb with a guy from Mauritius sometimes and he's currently back there visiting family. Might be able to point him in the direction of this thread as he might know a bit about it.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Ray Sharples:

Hey. Thanks to Mike for showing me this. I am currently there, and am from there....

There are no guidebooks, and there are a few climbers, some of fond of bolting, others not. It's really a free for all

There is a lot of rock to be climbed, and lots of big walls.

Most of the peaks have been scaled though. And apart from the land of one mountain which is privately owned, there are no real problems...,plenty to choose from!

Avi
OP Trangia 29 Sep 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Very many thanks to all of you. it sounds like a matter of go out and explore!
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Bring your machete to clear the paths to the ridges or the rock faces

Email me if you want....

Avi
 girlymonkey 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Reunion has many well established walking routes and plenty of climbing, and a fairly cheap overnight boat ride away! We didn't even pay for a cabin, it was warm enough to just stretch out on the benches on deck and sleep there. (I was living in Reunion at the time, and we popped over to Mauritius just because we could!)
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 01 Oct 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Or that. Reunion is really good

And then leave Mauritius to its capitalism and nature destruction ( my rant)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...