UKC

Donald Trump on BBC Radio 4 Today programme Sept 26

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Trump expressed his disbelief that Scotland is ruining its scenery with wind turbines. Trump seems passionate about Scotland and golf, he believes Salmond's energy policy of wind-farm expansion stopped many people voting for the SNP. He thinks the wind farm developments are mad, especially near his golf courses like Turnberry which he claims will become a huge asset for Scotland. I have to agree with him.
Wind farms are ruining the essence of Scotland.
DC.
 MG 26 Sep 2014
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Trump is an odious, bullying f*ck. Be careful who you agree with.
 dek 26 Sep 2014
In reply to MG:

> Trump is an odious, bullying f*ck. Be careful who you agree with.

Didn't you argue the same about salmond?...
 mxg 26 Sep 2014
In reply to MG:

Errr.... I agree with you.
 MG 26 Sep 2014
In reply to dek:

I think are several in the world...!
 Scomuir 26 Sep 2014

Trump is not passionate about Scotland. Trump is passionate about the money in his pocket and his perceived importance. The only reason he is being vocal about wind turbines is that there is potential for them to be visible from his course at Menie near Aberdeen, and now Turnberry, or "Trump Turnberry" as I believe it is now officially known. The irony is that he destroyed the area around Menie, including a SSSI, for his golf vanity project.

I would question (as with everything that comes out of his mouth), what his source is regarding peoples voting habits regarding the SNP and wind turbines. I think most well balanced folk know he just makes sh1t up to suit his agenda.

Whether you agree in principle or not regarding the spread of wind turbines in Scotland, I refer you to the post by MG above.
 Simon4 26 Sep 2014
In reply to MG:

Martin, that is an obvious ad-hominem. I am surprised at you, if something is correct, it doesn't matter who makes the observation, it is still correct.
In reply to Scomuir:

> Trump is not passionate about Scotland. Trump is passionate about the money in his pocket and his perceived importance. .... I refer you to the post by MG above.

I am aware of his activities near Aberdeen etc and can appreciate you are correct in part. There are worse ills than Trump in Scotland perhaps? Time will tell who was right but the landscape to me, after everything else is stripped away is all that Scotland is defined by surely?

Wind turbines are destroying that so I agree with Trump's comments this morning on that specific issue.
 MG 26 Sep 2014
In reply to Simon4:

Well, firstly he is indeed an odious bullying f*ck, regardless of being correct on this particular point. And secondly, as Salmond discovered, he is a dangerous man to agree (or shall we say side) with Anti-windfarm campaigners should be wary of my enemy's enemy is my friend type alliances.
 Scomuir 26 Sep 2014

Which part am I wrong about, if I am only correct in part? Just curious.

I am not disagreeing with the concept that windfarms spoil the landscape, but I am disagreeing that Trump actually cares about the landscape. Everything about him is self serving, and driven by his own greed and arrogance. If he could not see them from his golf courses, he would not be craving air time to mouth off about them.
 skog 26 Sep 2014

I do think we need to be more careful about where we're putting wind farms.

I presume you mean 'stopped many people voting for independence', rather than stopped them voting for the SNP?

From speaking to lots of people, I've heard many say they were voting, or had voted, No, due to personal financial worries, fear of economic uncertainty (not helped by the lack of a credible currency plan), not trusting Salmond, or because they genuinely felt pro-union.

I have not heard a single person cite wind farm expansion as a reason for voting No. Why would they? It's happening now, under devolution!

On the other hand, I have heard a small number say they would have voted Yes if there were more commitments to green policies.

Also, what MG said about Trump. Salmond's association with him probably did more damage to the cause than all the turbines in Aberdeenshire.
 nw 26 Sep 2014
In reply to skog:

Yeah he was claiming this on the TV the day after the ref. Nonsense.
In reply to Scomuir:

He is a possible US Presidential candidate, he is a successful entrepreneur, he creates wealth and may well enjoy it, those items alone will be criticised by some, so that might be the part I referred to.

Rich successful people always come in for opprobrium in the UK despite the wealth and jobs they create.

He will only get away with things in Scotland within the rules - unless Council/quango corruption is involved. I don't know the man personally but in my experience people like him are usually much more altruistic and do care more about things like Scotland than some might believe.
Clauso 26 Sep 2014

I nearly crashed my car, in rage, listening to the pompous git.
 jkarran 26 Sep 2014
In reply to Simon4:

> Martin, that is an obvious ad-hominem. I am surprised at you, if something is correct, it doesn't matter who makes the observation, it is still correct.

True but in this case Trump appears to be spouting shite.

jk
 malky_c 26 Sep 2014

> He will only get away with things in Scotland within the rules

Hmm yes...providing he gets to influence the rulemakers.
 The New NickB 26 Sep 2014
In reply to Simon4:

> if something is correct, it doesn't matter who makes the observation, it is still correct.

I agree 100%. Martin's observation is correct, Trump is an odious, bullying f*ck. One who isn't afraid to make ad-hominem attacks himself. On the subject of the aesthetics of wind farms, well that is wholly subjective, so his observation is just opinion, not a little influenced by his financial interests. As others have said, he has no issue with destroying the Scottish landscape when it is in the interests of his personal wealth and massive ego.
 Scomuir 26 Sep 2014

I admire your ability to try and see the positive in people. I live by that view and try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, no matter their apparent reputation. Sadly, given everything that has gone on up here, my opinion, and one that would be shared by many, many others, is that you are sadly misguided. I stand by what I said above.

If you are looking for an example, he has family in Lewis, and it's where his mother was born. Despite owning a private jet, he had never bothered to visit them at all previously, yet when he did, he made sure the media was in tow. Basically, he was using these relatives and his dead mother to garner publicity for the Menie course, and in turn, for his own financial gain. I couldn't care less whether he has £1000 or £1 billion in the bank, he's a repulsive individual.
 tony 26 Sep 2014

> He is a possible US Presidential candidate, he is a successful entrepreneur, he creates wealth and may well enjoy it, those items alone will be criticised by some, so that might be the part I referred to.

> Rich successful people always come in for opprobrium in the UK despite the wealth and jobs they create.

Among the reasons he came in for such opprobrium were the way he trashed an SSSI for the sake of his golf course, tried to restrict access to land that had been enjoyed by everyone for decades, and the way he bullied the people living on the site of the golf course.
In reply to Scomuir:

> he's a repulsive individual.

Well I defer to your greater knowledge. I may be misguided but are you saying that everything he has done in Scotland is bad and nothing good?
I know Menie/Balmedie having worked and climbed and flown across the area for 40 years.
Bashing "Robber Barons" is par for the course in the UK. Does he have no supporters, has he done no good other than serving his self-interest? What is the ultimate gain for him if as you say everyone hates him? They all hated Andrew Carnegie but he left a rather good legacy to the World.
Would Scotland be better without Trump or worse?

The New NickB 26 Sep 2014

Are you really comparing Trump to Canegie?
 Scomuir 26 Sep 2014

I didn't say "everyone", I said "many". Of course he has his supporters, I didn't say he didn't. As for his ultimate gain, I think you can work that out from my previous posts without me repeating it.

Sure, you could argue that raising the profile of wind farm locations could be viewed as good, but as I said, he wouldn't bother if he didn't think it would hurt his pocket.

You tell me, what good do you think he has done for Scotland? Sure he's provided some jobs (but massively less than he stated would be the case), and some (but not all) golfers are happy. Offset that against the sterilisation of the dunes, the misery he has caused (and continues to cause) local residents, and the turmoil he stirred up a few years ago in the media. On balance, my view is that Scotland would certainly be better off without him.
In reply to Scomuir:

I was asking what good he has done (since I don't know). I think your answer is clear thanks.
 squarepeg 26 Sep 2014
In reply to MG:

What he said.
 squarepeg 26 Sep 2014
In reply to tony:

Yes I still remember that documentry on bbc, anybody see it? Twas incredible.
 aln 27 Sep 2014

> He is a possible US Presidential candidate,

Pity our world if he became US president.

> Rich successful people always come in for opprobrium in the UK

They don't.

> He will only get away with things in Scotland within the rules

He's already had 'the rules' bent to suit his interests.

I don't know the man personally

Me neither but -

but in my experience people like him are usually much more altruistic

much more altruistic than who?

and do care

About what?

things like Scotland

What other 'things' are like Scotland?

birdie num num 27 Sep 2014

What I don't understand is; why there isn't a cafe on top of Ben Nevis?
In reply to birdie num num:

Perhaps we should get the altruistic Mr Trump to build us a nice hotel atop that hideous mound. Adding a nice climbing centre beside it with lots of top rope routes would keep the locals happy.
 TobyA 27 Sep 2014

> He is a possible US Presidential candidate,

As much as any US born citizen can say they're a candidate. Believe me, Donald Trump is NOT a serious presidential candidate - the crazy-ish pizza guy was much more serious. He's not even particularly successful as a business man, he is a successful celebrity though.
 Fat Bumbly2 28 Sep 2014
One of the few times wind farms came up in the campaign, No stated that the GBNI government subsidies would stop. An independent Scotland may have had to cut down on their construction.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...