UKC

Victoria Beckham saves the world

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29369509

That was just under 2 minutes long and I can't be sure that she said anything even veguely meaningful, apart from pointing out that she's a woman and has had a nice holiday in South Africa recently. Jesus.
Post edited at 10:15
In reply to Frank the Husky:

She's a woman so she understands these issues, and she's met other women.

ByEek 26 Sep 2014

She is easy to deride, but at the end of the day who is the world going to listen to? You or her? Profile is everything.
 cander 26 Sep 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Why would I listen to VB, she's hardly likely to particulary enlighten me. UKC at least is populated by a spread of people from lots of different backgrounds, places, jobs who have experience life from the ground up rather than VB's view from a rather insulated world where the most irksome part of life is press intrusion into her private life (when her husband decides to have a bit on the side ... allegedly).
 ByEek 26 Sep 2014
In reply to cander:

I couldn't agree more. But what you say on UKC isn't reported by the world press. I don't have much time for Greenpeace hijacking trains, but it does raise awareness of the issues they wish to put forward.
 mypyrex 26 Sep 2014
In reply to cander:

> Why would I listen to VB, she's hardly likely to particulary enlighten me. UKC at least is populated by a spread of people from lots of different backgrounds, places, jobs who have experience life from the ground up rather than VB's view from a rather insulated world where the most irksome part of life is press intrusion into her private life (when her husband decides to have a bit on the side ... allegedly).

+1
 Rob Exile Ward 26 Sep 2014
In reply to cander:

Er ... I haven't listened to her views, and am not likely too either, but it seems to me she has built quite a successful business career for herself in fashion, which I don't suppose was easy.

Sometimes I think that critics of 'celebrity culture' (and also wannabee celebs) overlook the fact that many celebs are rich and famous because in fact, they are talented, hard working and focused.
In reply to ByEek: Fair enough, but she needs to actually say something!

ByEek 26 Sep 2014
> Fair enough, but she needs to actually say something!

Good point! Well she did have a holiday in South Africa... which is nice.
Post edited at 11:27
 cander 26 Sep 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Whilst you're correct, I'd also hazard a guess that the reach of places like UKC / facebook / twitter (FFS - I just don't get twitter - sorry) etc. is making significant inroads to the ability of the broadcast and written media to set the agenda - you'd never get to hear Bruce H for example on the mainstream media, but he does offer a counterpoint to the percieved status quo and the beauty of it is that he can be and is challenged by other people who live the events he has alternative views about - there is always the risk of the barking mad been given a forum but they're pretty easy to spot and avoid (or take the piss if your minded that way)
 goldmember 26 Sep 2014
In reply to cander:

> Why would I listen to VB, she's hardly likely to particulary enlighten me. UKC at least is populated by a spread of people from lots of different backgrounds, places, jobs who have experience life from the ground up rather than VB's view from a rather insulated world where the most irksome part of life is press intrusion into her private life (when her husband decides to have a bit on the side ... allegedly).

I didn't know David played away.
 cander 26 Sep 2014
In reply to goldmember:

I see you sit close to goldenballs
 ByEek 26 Sep 2014
In reply to cander:

I am not really sure if you have said anything new there. The media has always set the agenda and people have always had the ability to debate those issues in a different arena. The only difference regarding UKC is that this arena is slightly wider in terms of people around the world than your local pub or debating society.

PS I don't get twitter either.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...