UKC

Buying a suit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 henwardian 27 Sep 2014
I once bought a suit but after about 15 years of abuse it's rather in needing of replacement.

I have no idea what is considered appropriate or fashionable in suit terms so I'd like to ask UKC for some help

Can anyone advise on what is the most approapriate kind of thing to buy in order to look dapper for job interviews, wedddings and so on?
Two piece or three piece?
blue/grey/black?
Single or double breasted?
Lapels/button number/all the other different things to do with the cut?
How do I now what kind of fabric I want?

Also, is it worth getting one tailored to the right size? If so, can anyone recommend a tailor who isn't too expensive in Livingston or Edinburgh or that general area who will do a good job?
In reply to henwardian:

1. How old are you? If over 40, a respectable dark grey single-breasted. For funerals and because anything else makes you look like Crockett out of Miami Vice.

2. Do you actually care what you look like in it? If not, off the peg for observing social decency and convention at aforesaid events. If you sell used cars for a living, it seems de rigeur to spend a fortune on a badly fitted 'bespoke' job with red shiny lining.

Personally, I go to an actual gents' outfitters, who don't do fashion so it won't date, get an off-the-peg version and have them make any minor alterations (generally trousers) at very reasonable prices.

Martin (too many funerals in the last few years)
 Stevie989 27 Sep 2014
In reply to henwardian:

Take the trip to Glasgow and pop into slaters.
 Bob Hughes 27 Sep 2014
In reply to henwardian:

fit is the most important thing in a suit. any suit which fits well will make you look smart. any suit which fits badly will make you look like you're spending the day in court.

other than that - if you want it to last 15 years- don't go too far down the line of fashion.

as above, off the peg with adjustments is the way to go. buy a jacket that fits your shoulders and pretty much anything else can be adjusted.
 Indy 27 Sep 2014
In reply to henwardian:
Personally I'd go for something classic like a dark grey 2 button single breasted suit from a quality suit maker. Ermenegildo Zegna? They'll ensure a top notch fit coupled with quality fabric and knowledgeable staff. Don't forget to get some decent shirts as well.

Yes your going to pay a bit more but in my view it'll be a worth while investment.
Post edited at 16:28
OP henwardian 27 Sep 2014
Thanks for all the advice from everyone so far.

Seems like the consensus is an off-the-peg with some minor alterations.

I didn't mention that I am also very tall, I expect that this will not be problematic for the top half, but I'm expecting that getting the trousers long enough might be challenging without having them made.

I'll check out Slaters.

In reply to maisie:

I'm 34. I suppose it's important to at least think I look good in it because in addition to fitting into social norms, it is also there to give me confidence that I loook the part and can be taken seriously in a job interview or when working (teaching secondary children is what I'll probably be doing).
In reply to Indy:

> ... Ermenegildo Zegna? ... Yes your going to pay a bit more but in my view it'll be a worth while investment.

Hmmmm. I just checked out their website and £1000-2000 is a bit steep for me I think. I'm sure that would be ok if you were a banker or accountant or lawyer or something like but I don't think I could justify paying that much for what I want to use it for.
 Swirly 27 Sep 2014
In reply to henwardian:

If you are going to wear it everyday, e.g. in teaching, it's going to get abused. As a teacher I have a decent suit for formal occassions: weddings, interviews and the like and a cheaper day to day suit which is a machine washable one from M&S. That one cost about £150, saves a fortune in dry cleaning and I can bin it every two years.
 Ciro 27 Sep 2014
In reply to Stevie989:

> Take the trip to Glasgow and pop into slaters.

+1
In reply to henwardian:

A teacher, you say?

In which case, something classic in a stained brown polyester, ideally stolen off a dead body and made for somebody with a gigantic stomach and weirdly stubby little legs, which will automatically add to your professional air of clown-like dejection and life-choice disappointment. With an unintentionally yellowish shirt.

Then you'll fit right in.

Martin (wife's a teacher, sister's a teacher, mother was a teacher, have worked in education myself....)
 HB1 27 Sep 2014
In reply to henwardian:

I don't wear suits, but I've often noticed a varied selection at TK Maxx. You never know - they might have the very thing at a knockdown price!
 Co1in H 27 Sep 2014
In reply to henwardian:

Worth buying 2 pairs of trousers at the time of purchase.
In reply to maisie:

> In which case, something classic in a stained brown polyester, ideally stolen off a dead body and made for somebody with a gigantic stomach and weirdly stubby little legs, which will automatically add to your professional air of clown-like dejection and life-choice disappointment. With an unintentionally yellowish shirt.

> Then you'll fit right in.

I laughed long and hard at this Martin, thanks!
 Indy 27 Sep 2014
In reply to henwardian:
Fair enough. Was trying to pick out the pertinent information in your post and it lead me wrongly to conclude you were in one of the professions you mentioned.

Out of interest do teachers wear suits these days? Most teachers I've seen these days tend to be smart casual I.e chino's button down shirt and a sports jacket. Go on tell me you're looking to work in a Public School
Post edited at 17:44
 Timmd 27 Sep 2014
In reply to henwardian:
I found a wool two button single breasted dark grey suit in TK MAXX for £150 a couple of years ago, I wasn't looking for a suit, so bought it because it fitted well.

The trousers can be sized at one extreme it seems with the suits there, though, ie wide at the waist and short in the leg.
Post edited at 18:01
 The New NickB 27 Sep 2014
In reply to Indy:

They probably wear a suit for interview.
 gethin_allen 27 Sep 2014
In reply to Ciro:

Another +1 for slaters, they normally have a good range with reasonable prices and the one near me (so probably the same at your nearest) has a deal on free alterations on anything over £80.

I think I'd go grey as black looks a bit too dressed up IMO, good for weddings and funerals but not so good for meetings and interviews.
 TobyA 27 Sep 2014
In reply to henwardian:

I needed a suit at short notice recently and bought one from Matalan, I think it cost 75 quid. It looks quite smart, they had a good range of jacket and trouser sizes so I could get a decent fit and the fabric isn't at all shiny/nasty in the way cheap suits used to be. I'm sure paying 300 or 900 quid gets you a better suit, but for my needs there is no way they would be 4 times or 12 times better!
 Rob Exile Ward 27 Sep 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:
Slaters is a chain, we have one here in Cardiff and bought youngest son a suit for his big brother's wedding/the next funeral/misc interviews etc.

Grey, single breasted and one that FITS - I've often bought too large - the shop staff can advise, and Slaters will adjust FOC.
Post edited at 18:39
In reply to Indy:

It's mainly for a wedding and job interview. I did wear the kind of clothes you are talking about to teach but one of the other teachers at the school had a rather smart suit (although he was French so he had a suave advantage already and no risk of ruining it with a bunsen burner of sulphur mistake). I thought "hmm, I could try out wearing a suit to school", it would be interesting to see if the pupils react any differently to me depending on what I wear.
 Rob Exile Ward 27 Sep 2014
In reply to henwardian:

Get a green suit - that will work.
 gethin_allen 27 Sep 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Slaters is a chain, we have one here in Cardiff.

I know, I've bought quite a lot from there in the past. That's why I said that the OPs nearest shop would probably have the same free alterations deal as the one I saw advertised in window of the Swansea shop recently.

nathan79 27 Sep 2014
In reply to Stevie989:

+1 for Slaters but he needn't trek to Glasgow as there's one in Edinburgh.
I got one from their Dundee branch a couple of years back great service, advice and alterations.

2 most important thing for a suit IMHO are fit and fashion. Now I'm no fashinista but it annoys me to see badly worn suits.
 aln 27 Sep 2014
In reply to Bob Hughes:

any suit which fits badly will make you look like you're spending the day in court.

One of those £15 Tesco jobs worked for me. Also for two funerals and three successful job interviews.
 ThunderCat 27 Sep 2014
In reply to maisie:

> A teacher, you say?

> In which case, something classic in a stained brown polyester, ideally stolen off a dead body and made for somebody with a gigantic stomach and weirdly stubby little legs, which will automatically add to your professional air of clown-like dejection and life-choice disappointment. With an unintentionally yellowish shirt.

Ha, made me chuckle too

PeterBlackler 27 Sep 2014
In reply to henwardian:

Surprised no one's mentioned Rohan yet...

http://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-envoy-travel-suit-collection

Not the cheapest perhaps but are really nice to wear (and you can sort of pretend to be wearing "outdoor" kit in a work/business environment

Some items in the offers section but limited sizes

Pete

simonsnorkel 28 Sep 2014
In reply to nathan79:

I'll add my vote to slaters too. As a fashion unconscious man I'd also recommend having a beer first and then letting the knowledgeable and friendly staff guide you towards a better purchase than you would make on your own...
 birdie num num 28 Sep 2014
In reply to henwardian:

If you're really tall, don't go for pinstripe it will make you look like a right long awkward gangly beanpole.
 Indy 28 Sep 2014
In reply to aln:

> any suit which fits badly will make you look like you're spending the day in court.

> One of those £15 Tesco jobs worked for me.

Oh, congratulations! they found you not guilty of what exactly

Indy 28 Sep 2014
In reply to henwardian:

In that case I'd go for something from Marks & Spencer which means if you move about you'll always be close to a replacement jacket/trousers. Also they tend to keep stuff current longer so your not faced with buying a new suit if you can't get a replacement pair of trousers because its last years style.

In reply to Indy:

Good few years ago, when new in a (vet) practice, one of the farmers came in, wearing a suit.

Me: you're looking smart today

Him: I had to be, I've been in court all day

Me: oh, sh*t, what were you charged with? B*st*rd judges, pompous arseholes, etc etc.

Off he swept, face like thunder. At which one of the receptionists leaned over and said, 'He's one of the magistrates'

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...