UKC

Sling nightmares.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rodgit 27 Sep 2014
There has been considerable debate and valuable research,particularly from DMM, regarding the use and misuse of slings.
Nylon vs. dyneema, knots in slings, larks footing, daisy chains etc. all contributing to the confusing and often disturbing picture. The use of slings is fundamental to our safety systems and we need to be well informed. My point is this:- are we being unduly "scared" by the technical bumph. Do we really need to be losing sleep over these issues?
I have been happily, if naively, bumbling around the mountains and cliffs for many years and have never heard of any sling failing,other than in the early days when we had to make our own slings by knotting a length of rope or tape.
There must be many other bumblies like me .... but how many sling failures due to "misuse"?
In reply to rodgit: FWIW I managed to cut a good condition Wild Country 12mm dyneema sling more than half way through via 'misuse' in the Alps a few years ago.

I was clipped directly to the sling which was over a rock spike. I then staggered/slipped, shock loaded the sling which resulted in it being cut.

Unfortunately no photos as we knotted it and used it for abseil tat on our retreat from the route.

needvert 28 Sep 2014
In reply to rodgit:

I think you could have two ends to a continuum on which sensible people sit somewhere:

- Be knowledgeable about your gear, and ergo materials, loading, etc

- Be conservative
 Mountain Llama 28 Sep 2014
In reply to rodgit: Hav a look on the bmc website https://www.thebmc.co.uk/articles/tag/accident

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...