UKC

SOS garmin help please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SonyaD 27 Sep 2014
Last week I did 100 miles on bike and quite easily saved a course straight from Bikehike onto my Garmin (can't remember whether I used my Forerunner 305 or my Edge 500 but I'm sure it was the Edge). I simply mapped my route, adding in turn left/right course points. Clicked save, clicked GPX, then save to GPS. No problems.

Tried to do the same thing the last 2x I've been out and the damn thing isn't working! Supposed to be going out for a complicated 100 miles tomorrow and am going to end up hopelessly lost unless I can get this to work.

Is there another way of saving a route to the Edge (that's easy to understand!)
 Chris the Tall 27 Sep 2014
In reply to Sonya Mc:

This is from memory, but works for Edge 810 and 800. Sounds like you have a GPX file. Plug your edge into your PC and view it through explorer. You should find a folder called new files. Transfer the GPX file to that. Now disconnect, boot up the edge and you should find the route in courses.

There are other methods
OP SonyaD 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I've got a Mac and don't have a clue how to open the Edge through that
 balmybaldwin 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Sonya Mc:

A friend has had the exact same problem this weekend on an edge 800. recording rides and uploading to strava etc still works fine. Its weird
 balmybaldwin 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Sonya Mc:

P.s. he thinks his pc has picked up a virus called v90 which may or may not be related
 sleavesley 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Sonya Mc:

Don't know if it's related, but ensure the recycle bin is empty when the Garmin is plugged in as it thinks the memory is full otherwise.

And explorer is finder on a mac if that helps.
 wilkesley 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Sonya Mc:
If you plug it in via USB it should just appear as a removable drive. Try and use the cable that came with the Garmin, as not all mini usb cables are equal. You can then copy the file to the Garmin/GPX folder on the Garmin.
Post edited at 18:37
 Bob 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Sonya Mc:

Plug your Garmin in to your Mac with a USB cable.
Open Finder (blue/grey square with a smiley face in the Dock)
Find your GPX file and copy it.
In the left hand pane you will see the Garmin listed as a device.
Click on it then in the right hand pane double click the Garmin folder and then double click the "New Files" folder.
Paste the file in to this folder.
In the left hand pane click the up arrow icon next to "Garmin" to unmount the device.
Now reboot your Garmin
It should copy the GPX file in to the courses folder converting it to the internal FIT format.

BTW, GPX files don't store the turn hints/directions for that you need to convert the file to TCX format.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...