UKC

Advantage of a candle lantern in a tent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 27 Sep 2014
Compared to using a candle alone. Obviously having much less chance of setting your tent on fire's a good thing, but what else? Do they increase the amount of light or distribute it more evenly, and are the gas lamp style best or are the wee tea light versions good enough for a two man tent?
 mypyrex 27 Sep 2014
In reply to aln:
How long are you planning on being in your tent. I usually find that ahead torch suffices. Unless you intend to spend along time lying awake surely you only need light when you are settling into the tent or if you are getting up in the dark hours.
Post edited at 22:49
OP aln 27 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> How long are you planning on being in your tent.

I have no set timescale for being in my tent. But as winter progresses tent time gets longer. LED's are great but candle light is nicer.
 gethin_allen 28 Sep 2014
In reply to aln:

A friend always liked his uco candle lantern. It also produces a fai amount of heat to take the edge off the cold. Obviously you have to be careful where you put it but you can hang them up on a longish wire.
OP aln 28 Sep 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

Thanks. They seem to be popular.
 simonsnorkel 28 Sep 2014
In reply to aln:

I find that paraffin and an old sock for a wick prove toasty if not entirely safe...
OP aln 28 Sep 2014
In reply to simonsnorkel:

I miss the old Primus handed down dad to dad. Went from a whisper to a roar.
 Morgan Woods 28 Sep 2014
In reply to aln:

I used to use the original candle lantern on things like ski tours but find the Black Diamond ones much better:

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/headlamps-and-lanterns/orbit-lantern-BD...
 nufkin 28 Sep 2014
In reply to aln:

> what else?

They're quite romantic
 browndog33 28 Sep 2014
In reply to aln:

I've got a brand new Uco for sale, email me if you are interested.
Mark.
Jim C 28 Sep 2014
In reply to nufkin:

> They're quite romantic

Not so important if it is a one man tent!
OP aln 28 Sep 2014
In reply to browndog33:

I might do that, not sure I'm going for one yet.
 Wicamoi 28 Sep 2014
In reply to aln:

They don't increase the amount of light, but they do stop the candle from flickering which makes the light a bit more useable (though possibly less pleasing for candlelight lovers?). Good for use in the outer tent while cooking.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...