UKC

Exped Downmat UL 7

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sean1 28 Sep 2014
Has anyone had any issues with the durability of the Exped Downmat UL 7?
Is it any more comfortable than the Thermarest Neo?
Thanks for any replies much appreciated.
In reply to sean1:
Probably not that helpful but I finally decided last month to go for the XTherm over the UL7 for Scottish Winter (and by default all year round) use. After reading everything I could find online, I eventually decided to go for the lightest option.

Have only used it 3 times so cannot comment on durability but so far have been entirely happy. It is a faff to inflate but otherwise I have found it utterly superb.
 JIMBO 28 Sep 2014
In reply to sean1:

I bought a wide synthetic version for a trip to Ladakh. I had about 20 nights on it and often on quite stony ground. Was a little worried about durability but it did the job well. I use a Neo for camping on Dartmoor every winter. The exiled mat is warmer but the Neo is smaller and lighter and has been warm enough. Not really tried them on proper snow though.
Dorq 28 Sep 2014
In reply to sean1:

I have an Exped DM UL 7 that has been used about three weeks without problems - it does seem to attract grease though. The pump bag (snozzle?) is handy, though it did burst at the seams once, quickly fixed with glue, no probs. The mat itself is very comfortable, quite high off the ground though and may not fit all of the one-person, narrow tents, as it's quite wide at the ends compared to the neo. I have also used the winter, silverized, neo air mat (xtherm?), and find that to be just as good.

Funny thing, the neo 'noise' does not bother me, I don't think it's an issue, but the one time I used the Exped mat in a campsite, I noticed it was very noisy moving around on the ground sheet of our Hilleberg tent.

The pump bag on the neo, doubles as the mat's stuff sack, is not as good; perhaps I haven't figured it out yet but I find it frustrating to use. Exped pump bag is very efficient.

There have been reports of Exped QC problems but every one I read about was replaced. I think the neo may have been manufactured in Ireland. Both seem expensive.

If I did it again, I would buy the Thermarest winter neo air one, and an exped synthetic mat or equivalent, ultralight, for summer. Silvering would help if the mat burst, I imagine.

H T H, Jon.
 Takein 28 Sep 2014
In reply to sean1:

I am on my second Exped Synmat UL 7 and have had some issues which have not overly impressed me. Thought I would share here for anyone who stumbles across this thread.

After ten months use one of the internal baffles on my first mat partially split meaning the mat still held air perfectly but had a bulge in one end. The store I purchased it from referred it to Exped who immediately replaced it without quibble.

There was some moisture inside the mat (damp/mildew). It was suggested by the store that by only inflating it with my own breath and using it in harsh (eg alpine) conditions, the internal baffles may have rotten. They recommended I purchase a snozzle bag to prevent future issues.

I bought and use a snozzle bag and these are great! Superlight, useful and they inflate the mats quickly. But one year on two of the baffles on my replacement mat have split leaving large bulges in the mat. I know several people with DownMats that have had no issues despite using them in pretty tough conditions. Maybe I was unlucky or maybe the issues only affect the Synmat UL

So I would definitely not recommend the Synmat UL however I may try a Downmat UL or perhaps just shell out for a Thermarest equivalent. Exped's customer service seems good.

MercuryKev 28 Sep 2014
In reply to sean1:

I own a downmat 7 UL and a Thermarest Neo xlite. I'd suggest that the material of both look to be about the same on the puncture durability front, although the downmat feels a bit thicker.

I'm on my second downmat UL, however, due to a baffle failure on my first. This mat had only been used for 2 nights out and had not been abused in any way - Exped replaced it but it's a known issue with the mats. In fact it's the third downmat that I've owned that has had this issue (the other were the downmat pumps) - all were replaced and the replacement have been fine. My issue with downmats is that they are too damn comfortable and warm.
 Bluebird 29 Sep 2014
In reply to sean1:

I own a few downmat UL7 size XS. +1 for grease pick up (kids) +1 for height off ground - clothes in stuff sack to make pillow to avoid cricked neck. +1 for noise mat makes on ground sheet

Other than that - it's singularly the most comfortable and warmest nights sleep ever and I wouldn't use anything else in winter - and I own most of the thermarest products.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...