UKC

Marathon record gets broken.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 28 Sep 2014
Dennis Kimetto has broken the marathon world record in Berlin clocking a time of 2:2:57.

When's it going to be sub 2?
 r0b 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Indy:

Works out as 105 consecutive 70 second laps of a 400m track!
OP Indy 28 Sep 2014
In reply to r0b:

That sort of sustained pace is completely mind boggling to your average recreational runner like me.
 r0b 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Indy:

10k splits:

How is that for pacing then!
 steveriley 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Indy:

Wow. So impressive.
 john arran 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Indy:

> When's it going to be sub 2?

The BBC site has a list of record times per decade and I put that into Excel quickly to look for a trend. Roughly speaking the record fell fast until the late 60s, since which progress seems to have been much slower but impressively linear. If this linear trend continues the 2 hour mark will be broken in about 2030.
 Uluru 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Indy:

It is crazy. 2 min54 sec/km or 4.41/mile. I couldn't even run 1km at that pace.
 Banned User 77 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Uluru:

Very few will be able to run 400m in 70 seconds, 1 lap of a running track.. it's just lightning.. still a long way from sub 2 yet though.
In reply to IainRUK:

Are you sure, Iain? I seem to remember plenty of people doing it at school. In fact I ran 800 metres in less than twice that in order to finish something like 10th in the school. I'd have thought virtually any reasonably active 18-year old boy could cover 400 metres in 70 seconds.

jcm
 Banned User 77 29 Sep 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

sadly yeah.. a few healthy kids could, but if you go into a school nowadays you see very few fit kids. I coach a Uni XC team and we just can't get runners in decent aerobic shape.. even in our team I bet not many could run sub 80.. and that's a campus of a few thousand students.
 Trangia 29 Sep 2014
In reply to Indy:

At the end he looked as though he had just finished a stroll in the park!

As for sub 2, that's nearly 3 mins to be knocked off.

Is it possible?
 steveriley 29 Sep 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

70s for a 400m? Very, very low single figure percentage. Pretty low from regular runners.
 The New NickB 29 Sep 2014
In reply to r0b:

Just to put these times in to perspective, the fastest time run for a 10k on the road for a British athlete this year is 28:56.
 mbh 29 Sep 2014
In reply to Indy:

I am really going all out if I do a mile / 1600 m in less than 7:00 (it happens rarely!) which is 105 s per 400 m. I don't know if I could do 400m in 90s, never mind 70s, never mind do that 105 times in a row.

Just supposing that those who actually can do this are humans like me, this impresses me most about the impact of sustained training and hard work, and of the power of a culture that encourages them.
 steveriley 29 Sep 2014
In reply to mbh:

There's a great story in 'Running with the Kenyans' when the writer calls the wrong number in the phone book: 'Are you X the 2:06 marathoner?' (I forget the exact detail). And the reply comes: 'No sorry I'm Y, 2:13, I drive a taxi.'

Amazing on so many levels, that you can call the wrong person with the same name and they not only have a superb marathon time, but answer in a matter of fact, 'yeah, I'm and also ran' type way!
 Jim Hamilton 29 Sep 2014
In reply to mbh:

for me it's range of human ability that is that impresses on me most - how far a natural athlete is from the keen punter !
 malk 29 Sep 2014
In reply to Indy:

what's he done on cinder?
 ClimberEd 29 Sep 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Unfortunately I can't remember the details but it is discussed in the sports gene.

3 factors are required, a VO2max of x, a running economy of y and (I think it was threshold) of z.

Anyway, the point I am making is that different combinations of 2 out of 3 have been found in various top runners, but no runner has ever had all 3. When they do the 2 hour record will be broken.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...