UKC

drive chain slack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Got a job rob 28 Sep 2014
Hello,
I have noticed that my rear hub seems to take some time to start turning when I turn the pedals. Its starting to become a problem as I ride more technical things and need the power there and then (like cranking the pedals over rocks and stuff). They are xt hubs, would a change to something like the hope evo pro2 make any difference, as I have read that they have more engagement points. Or its is just marketing?
 balmybaldwin 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Got a job rob:

If its noticably worse than it was, take off the casette and have a look at the hub carrier... has it got grooves where the cassette has worn the hub carrier? Remove the hub and clean and re grease the pawls, inspect the springs to check they are moving the pawls correctly. Also check and clean the rack that the pawls run on.

There will always be a bit of slack, but it shouldnt be noticeable. Xt hubs are decent, so I wouldnt expect a big difference from an upgrade, and remember more engagement points means smaller engagement points which are more likely to fail if gunked up with mud etc.
In reply to Got a job rob:

If it's noticeable, it's a sign that the free hub bodies on its way out, and they eventually go one of two ways either they completely lose drive or lock out solid, with shimano they have a bolt on free hub body, you can strip these down and service, but often it's a short term fix, and most folk replace the free hub body. However this may not be relevant as you may have developed such feel that 1 degree now feels like a quarter rotation and the only way forwards is the dark art of off road fix wheel underground bike chapter 27.3.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...