UKC

Trad gear in plane hand luggage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello,

As tittle suggests, anybody travelled by plane with some trad gear (specifically nuts and cams) and did they have any trouble going through departures?

Sam
 JuneBob 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Samuel Wainwright:

I have, from norway to geneva and back. They wanted a look, but no trouble.
 Jay83 28 Sep 2014

They didn't let me take gear in hand luggage at Palermo.
 Simon Caldwell 28 Sep 2014

Do a forum search, this is asked regularly. Summary - you might get away with it, but is it worth risking a ruined holiday if you don't?
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
JuneBob, was that flying with easy jet?
Simon, the rules and regs seem to change regularly as well which is why I posted.
Cheers
Sam
Post edited at 07:21
 RoK 29 Sep 2014

It's airport security that usually are the problem. The security are employed by the airport not the carrier and is their decision that will affect you. So even though a carrier may not have issue with you bringing gear on board you may not get as far as the gate with it.
A friend of mine had some karabiners taken from him on the opinion that they could be used as knuckle dusters....
 drolex 29 Sep 2014
In reply to RoK:

Yep, karabiners seen as potential weapons by airport security is a classic in my experience, and they seem very keen to explain you how you should use them. I didn't try to go through with a cam, which is a shame as I would love to know how to use a no 1 friend in a pub brawl.
 scoth 29 Sep 2014
In reply to RoK:

I second what the poster said about airport security and I've found much to my cost it can be inconsistent at various places. I flew out of Stanstead with sport rack in my hand luggage with no problems. A week later I was stopped by Malaga security and it cost me 110 euros to check in another bag, the flight only cost me 70!
 Neil Williams 29 Sep 2014
It doesn't make any difference who you fly with - it's the airport.

Personally I would not risk it - karabiners, nuts and hexes clearly could be used as weapons, and ropes to tie people up. Check it in. For a tenner each way or thereabouts it's worth it.

Neil
Post edited at 09:37
HurrahP 29 Sep 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

+1 for it being the airport not the airline...

...although i've managed to inadvertently get some 'risky' items through security at heathrow and gatwick on several occasions, 3inch penknives, multi-tools, 500ml bottles of stuff... crabs and all sorts too...
In reply to HurrahP:

I know an airport, which I won't name in case it is of use to anyone with nefarious intentions, where penknives can be purchased in the departure lounge and carried on with impunity.

Neil
 JuneBob 29 Sep 2014
As others said, the airline hasn't really got a say.
If I was going to cause chaos on a plane I'd buy some bottles of cheap booze in Duty Free, smash the ends off and glass anyone I wanted. Seems far easier and more effective than using a no. 1 cam.
But then, airport security has absolutely nothing to do with actual security.
Post edited at 10:38
 LastBoyScout 29 Sep 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:
There's plenty of stuff for sale in departure lounges that could be used for all sorts of nefarious purposes, which makes the whole thing a joke.

They won't let you take ropes and slings, as they could be used as restraints, but will happily sell you a variety of belts and key lanyards once you're airside.

In the book of On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Bond uses his Rolex as a knuckle duster to floor a henchman. Can't see them banning sales of heavy watches, though.

Etc, etc...

Edit - have been checking airport regs for baby food and you can bypass the 100ml liquid rule for their food, within reason. I'm expecting an argument with security when we fly to Australia in November, as we'll probably be carrying more than we need in case of delays and not counting on being able to refrigerate 1/2 used food...
Post edited at 10:49
 GrahamD 29 Sep 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> There's plenty of stuff for sale in departure lounges that could be used for all sorts of nefarious purposes, which makes the whole thing a joke.

Its not a joke. Its an inconvenient compromise. Personally I wouldn't want to stand in a queue waiting for someone qualified to make a risk assesment on everything and anything any punter wanted to take through security. Far faster to say if its not on the normal list of hand baggage, its not going on. Move along !
 Cardi 29 Sep 2014

My uncle brought a 7ft bamboo dartgun/blowpipe complete with bayonet on the end back on BA as handluggage from Borneo in the late 1960's!

Not worth the risk. Airport security all different. The last glorious French incident I had was a screwgate krab being confiscated, but they let me keep the (in my opinion) sharper and more dangerous snap gate...
 BarrySW19 29 Sep 2014

A friend of mine went diving in Egypt and unpacking his hand luggage after he got back realised he'd just flown home with his Rambo style dive knife in there.

And this was winter 2003 when apparently they were meant to be checking this stuff.
 zebidee 29 Sep 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> There's plenty of stuff for sale in departure lounges that could be used for all sorts of nefarious purposes, which makes the whole thing a joke.

All sorts of terrifying things which you can make from stuff on sale.

http://www.terminalcornucopia.com/
 Ciro 29 Sep 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> Its not a joke. Its an inconvenient compromise. Personally I wouldn't want to stand in a queue waiting for someone qualified to make a risk assesment on everything and anything any punter wanted to take through security. Far faster to say if its not on the normal list of hand baggage, its not going on. Move along !

Is there a need for such a compromise?

Since the most dangerous items that could be carried on board (timers, plastic explosives, etc.) can be easily disguised as common hand baggage items, I'd say risk assessments of unusual items that might be used as hand weapons (but no more dangerous than the aforementioned duty free bottle) would also be a complete waste of time. Concentrate on trying to find bombs and ignore everything else.
 Mike Stretford 29 Sep 2014
In reply to Ciro:

> Since the most dangerous items that could be carried on board (timers, plastic explosives, etc.) can be easily disguised as common hand baggage items, I'd say risk assessments of unusual items that might be used as hand weapons (but no more dangerous than the aforementioned duty free bottle) would also be a complete waste of time. Concentrate on trying to find bombs and ignore everything else.

They need to prevent weapons too. Even though it's harder to enter the cockpit, they'd try to get the pilots out by killing flight crew and passengers. Then they've got the plane and we've seen what can happen.
 GrahamD 29 Sep 2014
In reply to Ciro:

Security is always a compromise. The way you help yourself to concentrate on your 'real' threats is to minimise the amount of time you spend making discretionary decisions on eg knives, mercury thermometers, aerosol sprays etc.
 zebidee 29 Sep 2014
In reply to Mike Stretford:
From: https://www.schneier.com/news/archives/2008/11/the_things_he_carrie.html

Schneier and I walked to the security checkpoint. "Counterterrorism in the airport is a show designed to make people feel better," he said. "Only two things have made flying safer: the reinforcement of cockpit doors, and the fact that passengers know now to resist hijackers."

From: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2011/12/tsa-insanity-201112

The hijackers were forced to crash Flight 93 into a field. "No big plane will ever be taken that way again, because the passengers will fight back," Schneier said.
Post edited at 11:52
 BarrySW19 29 Sep 2014

You know there's a UKC article on this: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=165
 zebidee 29 Sep 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Mercury thermometers is nothing to do with security ... it's to do with poisoning the aluminium in the air-frame:

http://io9.com/5892694/how-a-dash-of-mercury-can-rip-a-jet-plane-apart
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_amalgam

Accidental mercury spills in aircraft do sometimes result in insurance write-offs, and is why there are severe restrictions on the transport of mercury-containing thermometers or barometers on commercial aircraft.
 Ciro 29 Sep 2014
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> They need to prevent weapons too. Even though it's harder to enter the cockpit, they'd try to get the pilots out by killing flight crew and passengers. Then they've got the plane and we've seen what can happen.

Until they ban boarding with belts, shoelaces, duty free bottles, watches, walking sticks and golf umbrellas, and stop giving out metal cutlery in first class, what's the point of going any further than banning guns and knives from hand luggage?
 Ciro 29 Sep 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Looking at how much time is now taken up on deciding if liquid containers are within the specified limits, whether baby milk is in fact baby milk, etc., I'd be surprised if the time had been reduced much at all, never mind minimised...
 GrahamD 29 Sep 2014
In reply to zebidee:

> Mercury thermometers is nothing to do with security ... it's to do with poisoning the aluminium in the air-frame:

Surely that is exactly what a security issue is ?
 zebidee 29 Sep 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

No - because it's not something which would cause the aircraft to catastrophically fail - like explosives would - but would mean that the air-frame would be compromised over time.
 zebidee 29 Sep 2014
In reply to Ciro:

> Until they ban boarding with belts, shoelaces, duty free bottles, watches, walking sticks and golf umbrellas, and stop giving out metal cutlery in first class, what's the point of going any further than banning guns and knives from hand luggage?

At Edinburgh airport you could pass through security, go to the Wetherspoons at the gate, order some food, be given metal cutlery, leave the gate area through arrivals and then have the same cutlery confiscated if you attempted to go back through security.
 GrahamD 29 Sep 2014
In reply to zebidee:

Security isn't about protecting against only one sort of threat, surely ? something that can be taken on board which degrades the structural integrity of the aircraft is exactly the sort of thing I want them to stop !
 zebidee 29 Sep 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> Security isn't about protecting against only one sort of threat, surely ? something that can be taken on board which degrades the structural integrity of the aircraft is exactly the sort of thing I want them to stop !

I suppose it is in the general sense however the other items which you listed have a far more anti-personnel aspect as opposed to mercury which technically only impacts the airline.
In reply to zebidee:

Amusing given that said cutlery has blunted ends (which means never have steak in an airport restaurant).

Neil
 kipper12 29 Sep 2014

Not worth the risk. A few years ago we were taking a new rope through as hand luggage, and were stopped and it had to be checked in. In the days easyjet were ok and only charged us a tenner
In reply to kipper12:

Nearly 20 years ago, going through Singapore airport, I was pulled over at gunpoint and ordered to open my daysack in front of a number of properly worried faces.

When I pulled out the new rope I'd just bought, all was smiles: they thought I'd been attempting to smuggle a bag of snakes.

Martin
 gsa 02 Oct 2014
"> Security isn't about protecting against only one sort of threat, surely ? something that can be taken on board which degrades the structural integrity of the aircraft is exactly the sort of thing I want them to stop !

I suppose it is in the general sense however the other items which you listed have a far more anti-personnel aspect as opposed to mercury which technically only impacts the airline."

Mercury has always been classed as "Dangerous Goods" and on the prohibited lists not only because of corrosion but because it's a liquid conductive metal and will short any electrics it gets near.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...