UKC

The Long Traverse, Torquay. How safe at Low Tide?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andy_pemberton 29 Sep 2014
How safe is 'The Long Traverse' DWS, Torquay at low tide?? I want to go after work on Thursday with a friend who hasn't done much DWS but it'll coincide with low water. Help / advice please. Thanks.
 Wilbur 29 Sep 2014
In reply to andy_pemberton:

I've only done it at high tide when climbing was a bit harder but more water obviously.. Supposedly easier at low tide. Have to say it doesn't feel in anyway serious unlike say magical mystery tour does at points so would think it would be fine...

Sean Kelly 29 Sep 2014

Easy. Did this with a non climber years back. You can walk across the Santuary Wall bit.
 Chris Ebbutt 30 Sep 2014

Not a problem with low tide, actually easier to cross the zawn under sanctuary wall but still deep water under the steep but jug ridden wall that takes you from Redgate Beach eastwards, also makes exit into Long Quarry easier. Have fun and don't worry as the water in Torbay is still a fantastic temperature this year.
Cheers Chris
 andrewmc 30 Sep 2014

My memory is slightly different...

We did it an hour or so before a small high tide; I just managed to do the zawn bit without getting wet by a somewhat undignified near-crawl. My friend just put his foot into the 6 inches of water at that point :P

I remember there being a lot of walking along ledges and super-easy climbing over rocks; I thought there was a lot of shallow water. But it was easy enough this wasn't a problem.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...