UKC

Time (or milestone birthday)-based Challenges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 01 Oct 2014
Hello all,

Wednesday morning musing - this isn't quite about the notion of 'fifty things to do before you're 30' or similar, but about how people set themselves big time-based challenges, either to celebrate certain milestones or in a fixed time period, e.g. running 50 marathons to celebrate turning 50, climbing 500 routes in a year, or, I dunno, cycling the US continental divide to celebrate turning 40.

I know many people think that doing these things shouldn't be linked to a particular age or time period, but if you *have* set yourself a particular challenge, what was it (or will it be, if you haven't done it yet), why did you choose it, and how's it going?

(The reason for the thread is that my twin bro was saying he plans to ride the divide when we turn 40 in a couple of years, and I was talking to someone else about someone who'd run 50 marathons at 50.)
 Axel Smeets 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I always had a slight ambition to have a shot at an 8000er before I turned 30. I failed, mainly as a result of the Chinese authorities complicating things back in 2012 with access to Cho Oyu. Trip was cancelled at the last minute.

I'm now 31 and I'm departing to Nepal on Friday for 32 days for a shot at a 7200m peak. I've given up an an 8000er. I'm now more bothered about lower but more interesting peaks (location, number of ascents, trek into BC scenery etc) To be perfectly honest, I've now realised I couldn't bear being away from my wife for the 40+ days required on 8000m peaks. 32 days is going to be quite tough as it is. Dreading saying goodbye on Friday morning!
Moley 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I think it's a nice idea for milestone birthdays, especially the older ones as it gives a little motivation.

When I turned 60 I did a 60 mile run - a solo unsupported Leventons Line (mountain route Llangollen to Barmouth). One can't turn back the years as age creeps up, we have to accept that 60 is not 30 etc. and continued motivation is difficult. This worked to motivate me for a while. Not sure I'm looking forward to 70, if ever I get there!
 LastBoyScout 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I had a plan to lead Comes the Dervish before my 30th birthday - ticked that with a couple of weeks to spare

Didn't make "married with kids" by 30 and had to settle for "wife expecting little one" at 40.

I will need to dream up something for next milestone.
 DaveHall246 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Not a huge challenge, but (having got to 50 this year) I set myself a target of doing a 50-star day on Stanage. Turned out to be a great day's climbing with a good friend, and we're now looking forward to 60 at 60!
 BusyLizzie 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

This is horribly geeky: when I was 40 I got together all my friends who could sing, plus some friends of friends, to sing Thomas Tallis' 40-part "Spem in Alium". There were 56 of us, as not everyone was comfortable holding a part alone. We spent the day practising and then sang through it, and also romped through Vivaldi's Gloria (I played the organ) by way of light relief. It was one of the very best days I have ever spent.

That was long before climbing happened for me. So was my 45th, when I got friends together to sing Handel's Messiah (likewise a lovely day). At 50 I was too busy to organise anything.

I think I would like a climbing, or at least outdoorsy, project to celebrate 55, or perhaps a belated 50 (I'm 52 now), or perhaps a longer-term project to do before I'm 60. Suitable for a not-very-fast middle-aged-late-starter. The musical milestone projects can wait now until I'm too old to climb!
 Timmd 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:
I've thought about a 35 mile cycle for my 35th, with the idea that I add a mile for each year afterwards, the cunning plan being it'll make me stay fitter as I get older, so I'm able to still achieve it in my 70's.

I read of a 90 year old celebrating his 90th by cycling 90 miles a while ago, which is what sparked the idea.
Post edited at 22:03
 Brass Nipples 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Timmd:

A 35 mile cycle isn't going to do much for fitness I suggest tripling it at least.

Timmd 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Orgsm:
I will have to stay fit to be able to cycle 70 miles when I'm 70. It is a motivator more than a method. ()
Post edited at 22:09
In reply to Tall Clare:

You'll find cyclist cycling over 700 miles in their 70's. Depends on your view of what is considered fit I suppose .
 Timmd 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Orgsm:
700 miles in one day?

You seem to have missed my point. No worries.
Post edited at 22:18
In reply to Timmd:
No 700 miles at the age if 70 in 3 days. Just pointing out that if you want a cycling challenge to keep fit then your figure is somewhat easy unless you are a couch potato.
Post edited at 22:22
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> This is horribly geeky: when I was 40 I got together all my friends who could sing, plus some friends of friends, to sing Thomas Tallis' 40-part "Spem in Alium". There were 56 of us, as not everyone was comfortable holding a part alone. We spent the day practising and then sang through it, and also romped through Vivaldi's Gloria (I played the organ) by way of light relief. It was one of the very best days I have ever spent.

What a lovely thing to do!! Love SIA.
In reply to Tall Clare:
Planning to retire at 60, by the time I'm 60.

4 years 3 months 6 days.
Post edited at 22:36
 BusyLizzie 02 Oct 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

If you do decide to retire to England, and if I ever organise another one, I will invite you.

L
 tlm 02 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I'm amazed that you have 56 mates who are willing to learn it in a day! You must have had a few who had sung it before? And what did you do to get the music?

I remember trying to fit my score into my cycle pannier, and it was difficult! It's amazing to be surrounded by a sound like that...
 tlm 02 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> If you do decide to retire to England, and if I ever organise another one, I will invite you.

>

> L

Oh and me! And me!
 BusyLizzie 02 Oct 2014
In reply to tlm:

Goodness me: a UKC musical meet! We have to do it! What do you want to sing?
 BusyLizzie 02 Oct 2014
In reply to tlm:

I don;t think more than the odd one or two had sing it before. I hadn't. In fact the individual parts are not that dfficult - it's putting them together that is almost impossibly difficult! We were conducted by a friend who is a very gifted conductor, and we worked hard for the day, but it wasn't quite all there fore the final sing-through.

I hired the parts from OUP, but I bought my own copy of the score because it is so pretty!
 BusyLizzie 02 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Sorry about the illiteracy of my message above ... I was doing something else at the time. I can spell and punctuate, on a good day.
 Welsh Kate 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I arranged a works outing to a 20-20 cricket match to celebrate my 40th. It was great fun and has become an annual event. Not sure I could persuade many of them to go to a 50 over one day game for my 50th next year though!

The New NickB 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Will probably run 40 miles on my 40th in January. Just as a bit of a challenge to myself, probably solo on the Mary Towneley Loop.

Toying with the idea of doing the Bob Graham at some point during my 42nd year (it is 42 summits because Bob was 42), but I'm not really a fell runner.

Neither are to prove anything to myself or anyone else, they just seem like fun things to do and targets to have.
Tim Chappell 02 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

And me. I should be able to sight-read by then

Spem in alium nunquam habui praeter in te
Deus Israel
qui irasceris
et propitius eris
et omnia peccata hominum in tribulatione dimittis
Domine Deus
Creator coeli et terrae
respice humilitatem nostram
Timarzi 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Axel Smeets:

That's so sweet!
Clauso 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I've already arranged to spend the weekend of my 50th, in a few years, drinking 50 pints of Robinson's ale with a pickled egg chaser for each pint. It's very similar to certain coming of age rituals that the Picts used to undertake.
 GrahamD 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I set myself the objective of completing the Harbourne Ten in an evening by the age of 21. Always ended up messy - I never managed it in the end.
 kathrync 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Last year I was at a sea kayaking festival and I saw a slideshow by a guide about a trip to Greenland that he runs every other year. You have to be reasonably proficient to go on it though.

I am aiming to be confident enough in my own ability to feel comfortable signing up for it by the time I am 40.

I also have my eye on Denali, but that is feeling less possible at the moment.
 Brass Nipples 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I always thought to do things outside my comfort zone.

So maybe be a life model
Take a role in a play
Ask strangers for a hug
In reply to BusyLizzie:

My thanks!
 hokkyokusei 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

In my very late 30s I set myself the goal of walking the Yorkshire Three Peaks before I was 40. That might not sound ambitious, but for myself, back then, when I was a sofa-bound sloth, it definitely was!

I managed to do it the week before my 40th and haven't really looked back. As well as walking I now run, cycle and climb. I've run a couple of half marathons, I've been to the Alps a couple of times, done some 4000m peaks, and 6000m peak in Nepal. I still go back and do the Three Peaks though and over the years I've reduced my time from 11:45 to 6:45.

Setting myself that goal was one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

A few years after that I set myself the goal of climbing Vinson in Antarctica by the age of 50. I'm not going to make that, but I'm not as interested in it as I was back then.
llechwedd 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

In my fifties I decided that, once during my life, I would like to go on a long walk which would immerse me in the bits of Britain I had the strongest affinity with.

My local test piece which gives a grand day out is walking the 14 peaks, I decided to extend the idea to the other 3000 footers of Britain. As the idea only came to me a year or so earlier, I was aware that the bits of me that were wearing out might not be up to the job by the time I retired.
The months of living in the moment that the journey engendered continue to inspire me when times are grim. It gave me both a sense of acceptance of things, but at the same time, the resonance of the lines of Efion Wyn- Oh lord, why did you make Cwm Pennant so beautiful and the life of a shepherd so short?

I've no plans to do something else by the time I'm 60. If something suggests itself then fine, but I'm not sure that a marker has to be a challenge. There's a fine line between desperation, and celebrating an active life when bursts of activity are seen through the lens of the 'challenge' mentality prevalent today.
 cragmole 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

It's my 40th next August and I've decided to walk the highest peak in each of the national parks in the UK before then. Not a big challenge but should be fun. I originally thought of do a climbing route in each of the national parks but couldn't find anything in the broads.
 Babika 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

As my climbing grade starts to falter and I want some long term challenge that will be a background focus for many years, I decided to try and climb the highest point in all 50 European countries.

Some are hard (Dufourspitze, Elbrus, Gerlachovsky Stit), some are impenetrable (Belarus/Albania) and some you can drive your car there if you want (Belgium, Cyprus, Holland)

The man thing is not so much the climbing as the entertainment of visiting places you might not otherwise go to, and the fun of planning weird trips.

The quacks say that challenges are part of the key to happiness as we get older, so I think your bro is tapping into something important
 Blue Straggler 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I could probably do a 40m CWT freedive and a 40m FIM freedive in a day to mark my 40th birthday. Might be nice.
A "goal" to set, however, would be to try for a 40m CNF which is much harder and currently some way beyond my personal best. I'd need to train hard toward it, and probably be in warm sea water to do it.

I did make up "39 lead climbs in a weekend" for a recent birthday but it got rained off
 SGD 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I hadn't really thought about a birthday milestone/challenge until that is I was watching a interview/presentation with Alex Honnold where they announced it was is 29th Birthday a few days earlier and he had Solo'd 290 pitches in a day in Squamish!

But this thread has given me a few ideas as it appears like many of us I'm approaching my 40th. I really like the idea of accumulating 40 stars in a day that was mentioned higher up.
 Tom Last 07 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

This is horribly geeky...

Wonderful, did you Youtube it?
 BusyLizzie 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Did Youtube exist when I was 40? (I'm 52 now) (i.e. so old that I actually have to *think* before saying how old I am).
 didntcomelast 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:
I turn 50 next year and I also finish work with my current employer next year so I decided to start to do all the things I had been brewing in my mind since my youth but had never the nerve or excuse to do.
So far I have rowed in a dragon boat race, ran the Lakeland 50, walked half the coast to coast ( second half when finished work) cycled the C2C. Been surfing in Cornwall.
My wife and I are going skiing for the first time next spring, we intend to go to the Tomantina festival next summer and we have booked to visit Nepal in spring 2016.
I had never really set out for any goals with any of my other birthdays, but for some reason as I approach 50 I feel I need to do and see as much as I can. Fortunately my wife is patient enough to support this 'mid life crisis' of mine and thankfully is willing to come on some of the less taxing adventures I have in mind.
The idea of setting goals in life, I suspect enhances life as long as those goals are realistic and achievable. I know already I feel proud in myself that I have done things I used to only dream of doing. As many have said before it's not the achieving a goal that's the problem it's having the courage to start the process.
The idea of anniversary goals perhaps doesnt appeal to everyone, I know that several friends at work tell me I'm wishing my life away when I tell them I can't wait to finish work, but I look upon it as when I finish work I will get my life back.
I must remember to put fresh batteries in the camera to capture the memories though, I have been known to forget that bit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...