UKC

First trip with the boy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm thinking of taking my 3 year old climbing as he is climbing all over the furniture at home and I think that I need to channel this into something productive.
Does anyone have experience of taking tiddlywinks to the wall? What should I be looking out for? Are we better bouldering or roping him up? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone can recommend a wall suitable to little people in devon/Cornwall that would be great!

Jim
 sbc23 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Big Jim The Climber:

All kids are different, but don't expect too much. My young kids get bored after 20mins. Bouldering and traversing is best. They often get scared climbing even a few feet up. That's not a bad thing to be honest. Biggest problem is lack of holds between 1ft up and 3ft up for actually climbing upwards. Kids can use tiny holds, but there's a gap in this range on lots of routes. Ignore the grades and colours, 3's etc are designed for older kids in trainers not short kids only capable of a small step up.

Don't expect to get anything useful done yourself, unless you have someone else with you. Some walls are good for this and don't charge for a supervising adult.

Steve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...