UKC

Betting on the dogs, is the bookmakers obligated

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
0Unknown0 02 Oct 2014
I saw a bet at 100/3 on a dog race and so I put £1 e/w on it. And it came in second. On the form it says guaranteed odds. How much should I be entitled to be paid back? I think the oddss may have been an error, but I took advantage of that, are they still obliged to pay out at the odds agreed?
Timarzi 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Dominicandave:

See what they say? It doesn't sound like impossible odds.

Some friends of mine have got into greyhound rescue and posting about the atrocities committed in the name of the sport. It's put me right off what used to be a good afternoon out.
0Unknown0 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Timarzi:

How much would a £1 e/w bet pay out for coming in second?
 goldmember 02 Oct 2014
normally half the odds, should get back around £9
Post edited at 15:17
 Philip 02 Oct 2014

Did your £1 e/w cost you £1 total or £2 total (more likely)

If the latter, then you lose £1 and the other £1 was for a place. You'll get 1/4 or 1/5 of the odds. So about £8 to come back.
 Ciro 02 Oct 2014

As far as I'm aware, bookies aren't legally obligated to pay out on any bet as they're just a "gentleman's agreement".
 TMM 02 Oct 2014

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Each-way_(bet)

Did your £1 e/w bet cost you £2 or £1? If it was £1 you actually made a 50p bet. If it was £2 then you have a proper £1 e/w bet.

Not sure at the dogs but likely to be either quarter or thirds of the 100/3 odds so either 8.33 or 11.11. Subject to your stake the highest payout you might receive is likely to be £11.11 plus your stake money whilst the lowest would be £8.33.
 Gazlynn 02 Oct 2014
£1 stake each way (a £2 bet) on a 100/3 placed dog. You should get £12.11 back if you took the odds before the race (told them at the time of placing the bet that you would like the 100/3 odds)

If you didn't specify the odds when placing the bet you get the starting price (sp) which could fluctuate either way to your advantage or if lots of people placed a bet on your fancied dog to your disadvantage.

Hope this makes sense?

cheers

Gaz
Post edited at 16:22
0Unknown0 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

I played £1e/w=£2. The are trying to only pay me £6.07 in total. I don't understand this much to be honest.
 Gazlynn 02 Oct 2014
Hmmm

With which bookmaker was this and was it in a shop or online?

Can you tell me which race it was? just to check the odds.

cheers

Gaz
Post edited at 16:35
0Unknown0 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:
William Hill 2.47 Romford, Droopys derek 100/3, online.
Post edited at 16:51
 winhill 02 Oct 2014

It gives the starting price (sp) as 100/30, a bertie, but that doesn't work out either.
 Gazlynn 02 Oct 2014

As Winhill say's something no quite right as even 100 / 30 odds doesn't stack up.

I would ask william hill for an explanation.

Sorry I can't be of much help

cheers

Gaz

0Unknown0 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

They have told me I am looking to be getting that. s it wasn't a win and was an e/w bet then I don't get my original £2 stake back. I'd like to understand so I have something to say to them as if I know what I'm talking about, which I do not. I can bet, but don't completely understand how the odds on payouts are calculated when not a win.
Thanks
 Gazlynn 02 Oct 2014

Firstly you would only be entitled to £1 back from your £1 each way bet(£2)as one of those £1s was for the win.

Secondly I've never heard of the fraction 100/3 as odds on a horse or dog as normally it would be 33/1

Thirdly If the cashier has made a mistake and written 100 / 3 instead of 100 / 30 on the slip they will not pay out. They will just claim it was a genuine mistake.

How you / they have got to the figure you've been given god only knows..

cheers

Gaz
 Gazlynn 02 Oct 2014

By the way I only put on 1 football coupon every Saturday so I'm not sure if rules are different with betting on the dogs as I have never bet on a greyhound race in my life.

cheers

Gaz

Philip 02 Oct 2014

> I played £1e/w=£2. The are trying to only pay me £6.07 in total. I don't understand this much to be honest.

Are you sure. Because 6.07 is what you would get back from 50p bet on 100/3 with a place paying 1/3.
 jkarran 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Philip:

> Are you sure. Because 6.07 is what you would get back from 50p bet on 100/3 with a place paying 1/3.

Makes sense to me. I'm a little surprised they even take each way bets on a dog race.

jk
0Unknown0 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Gazlynn: The odds given was a mistake, it was supposed to be 10/3, and so they paid me more than I should have actually been paid. But the point I made was that I only placed the bet because of the silly odds, but never mind, came in second and I walked away with more than I paid out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...