UKC

Hand Baggage on EasyJet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 02 Oct 2014
Will be flying down to Alicante in a couple of weeks for a longish weekend.

Was wondering if an Arcteryx Alpha FL30 would pass muster as my hand baggage? For argument's sake I'll assume its stuffed but closeable.
Thanks
 GridNorth 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Indy:

Have you not read the terms and conditions of your flight. I despair. The size of what is acceptable as hand luggage is well published. The critical measurements for hand luggage in the context of most rucksacks is the 55cm length(I can't recall the depth and width)although that can be reduced to 50cms on busy flights. The permissible contents are a whole new subject. Despite what some people say climbing hardware is unlikely to be allowed although it does appear to be a bit of a hit and miss affair.
In reply to Indy:

I've squeezed a 35l on plenty of times. Once got stopped on ryanair and it was just sticking out the top of the bag checker - I repacked and it still stuck over a tiny bit. The guy was giving me the "You're holding up the flight, you have to pay €50 line. Second re-pack and it was just small enough. The guy was fuming!!
 Rick Graham 02 Oct 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

No GN.

You should ask which airline and what baggage arrangements.
Search on the actual size of the rucksack model and the airlines T+C.

Alternatively, say your favourite sac, a Beta FW 37.6 is always OK.
J1234 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Indy:

Yes it will be fine, if anyone argues, mention my name.
OP Indy 02 Oct 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

I've been lead to believe that it's not so black and white. Do Easyjet allow you to squeeze it in to the size frame or is it strictly on actual dimensions?

Bit of Easyjet local knowledge would be good. If it comes to it I can wear 5 layers of clothes I suppose. Won't be doing any climbing related stuff as its a Stag do in Benidorm. Classy huh!
OP Indy 02 Oct 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

Rofl
 Yanis Nayu 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Indy:

I wish people would just pay for a bloody bag in the hold and make the flight a bit more pleasant for people.
OP Indy 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Malcolm Tucker's Sweary Aunt:

How exactly does waiting 30 odd minutes the other end enhance the pleasurableness of the experience exactly?
myth 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Indy:

Look on the easy jet website. They have clear measurements there. Then take a tape measure (available in good hardware stores) and measure your ruck sack.

If your rucksack's dimensions are above the stated acceptable dimensions you can either repack until it's below or take a risk and don't make a fuss when the flight attendant asks you to pay an extra £25.

If the bag is so much as a Cm over their stated dimensions they can charge you extra.

It really is that simple.
 imkevinmc 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Indy:

By the time you've disembarked and gone through passport control, your luggage will be at the carousel.

Air travel is only as stressful as you want it to be. Chill out.😊
abseil 03 Oct 2014
In reply to imkevinmc:

> Air travel is only as stressful as you want it to be...

Nice point, even though not entirely true - a lot is within our control, a lot outside it. But I like your advice, "Chill out", a lot.
Post edited at 07:47
 Yanis Nayu 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Indy:

For everybody else, I meant. When everybody takes the maximum size of hand luggage on the flight with them, it results in luggage being stuffed under the seats affecting leg room, people having to put luggage at the other end of the plane which means they are up and down the narrow aisles the whole flight, all of which increases stress.

You don't have to wait 30 minutes at the carousel either.
 Hooo 03 Oct 2014
In reply to imkevinmc:

> By the time you've disembarked and gone through passport control, your luggage will be at the carousel.

Not if you're flying into Gatwick it won't
 imkevinmc 03 Oct 2014

I'm blown away by Ryanair's turnaround and logical approach to cabin baggage.

if there's too much cabin baggage, but it's within size limit, they don't waste time trying to find space, it goes in the hold. But you're not charged for it.

imkevinmc 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Hooo:

OP is flying to Alicante
 Neil Williams 03 Oct 2014
In reply to imkevinmc:
That's why easyJet have done the two-sizes thing. The smaller size will fit under the seat so there is definitely space for one such bag per person. If there are too many larger size ones to fit the overheads, they can go in the hold. It isn't what some people say it is, namely a sly scheme to charge people, as if it's the right size but has to go in the hold due to lack of space it's free.

Neil
Post edited at 09:15
Rummmer 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Indy:
I traveled Europe for 2 weeks on 7 flights all different companies using a very well packed berghaus Arete 45L always verging on 10kg. I had no problems even though some of the flights had an 8kg limit. My only advise is to take your time packing before the airport so it has nothing dangling out of it or poking out of the top, and wear as much bulky stuff as you can then re-pack when in departure lounge. Hope it helps
Post edited at 09:16
In reply to alexrumsey:

That's interesting as I have an Arete Pro 45, and I've always considered it way too big for cabin baggage (size wise, almost[1] no airline cares about weight any more).

[1] BA now says 23kg, but I'm sure mine was heavier than that last time I flew, it was certainly heavier than my hold bag as it was full of OU books and a couple of laptops. Ryanair I think is still 10, but easyJet doesn't enforce a weight limit.

Neil
 Trangia 03 Oct 2014

> I wish people would just pay for a bloody bag in the hold and make the flight a bit more pleasant for people.

Couldn't agree more. I get really pissed off when I find the overhead lockers are crammed with oversized bags and in some cases where people have cheated and got away with taking an extra bag, so that I can't find room for my one size conforming bag.

It's all set out clearly in the regulations when you book, so if you can't conform stop being so bloody mean and just book it in as hold baggage.
Rummmer 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

The bulk of mine was clothing and a couple of pairs of shoes. To be honest once I had 2 t-shirts jumper, down jacket and coat with all pockets filled there was little chance of being over weight..... although I did look it! the Pack always looked jammed though. Looking back I was probably a bit over the top with wearing a lot of clothing and sweating through security checks and having to empty the contents of all pockets was not ideal. However, no additional charges incurred therefore well worth it!
In reply to alexrumsey:

These days I'd go "can't be arsed" and cough up for a hold bag. But that said, I suppose it's good that it's an option.

Neil
 andy 03 Oct 2014
In reply to alexrumsey: If you repack in the lounge then aren't you likely to have a potential problem at the gate? Most airlines have a baggage gauge by the gate, not just at check in.

Jet2 have started allowing you to check in hand luggage for free - if you're on your own then I wouldn't bother, but last weekend as we were a mixed group with some check-in and some not, plus we had bikes, I checked mine in - much less hassle at security and no dashing for the plane to try and make sure you get your bag near you in the lockers.

Rummmer 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Trangia:

If I was to book all my bag onto all my flights into the hold for my 2 week trip around europe it would have cost: 7 flights x £25 (estimation of hold luggage) = £175. For the sake of some people maybe feeling angry towards me I would say money well saved.
Rummmer 03 Oct 2014
In reply to andy:

I had no problems with the 7 airlines I used. I didn't once have my bag checked for dimensions and only twice checked on weight. Maybe just luck?
Rummmer 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

I was traveling with a student therefore everything was on a budget. I did mean we had more money to spend elsewhere which was great.
Rummmer 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Indy:

This was my original thread when deciding on pack sizes:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=583181

Worth a read for other opinions.
 imkevinmc 03 Oct 2014
In reply to alexrumsey:

Not luck - yours is just the actual experience of someone who travels regularly.

The horror stories are often 3rd hand anecdotes of those who don't fly.

In fact, checking luggage is now a doddle, since so few people do it, waiting times at carousels have reduced.
Rummmer 03 Oct 2014
In reply to imkevinmc:

Completely agree. So long as you don't look to be taking the p**s I'd say crack on.
Removed User 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Indy:

I don't think I've ever had my pack checked for size with EasyJet. The last 6 flights (6 either way, so 12) they don't have anyone check packs from what I saw. I was carrying at 45l but my bro was there with a smaller pack that we could have rearranged stuff into if necessary.
 whenry 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed User: Totally agree, I've taken larger packs on and never had any problems on EasyJet.
 Bob 03 Oct 2014
In reply to imkevinmc:

Agreed. I think people are finally getting the message that for a week of lying on the beach/by the pool you don't need two 90L suitcases. On the flights last weekend (same as Andy mentions) there were remarkably few bags for a full plane.

We (wife and I) had one checked bag and one carry-on between us. The checked baggage weighed 14Kg and the carry-on was a 12L rucksack that was about half full - basically an iPad, a couple of books and glasses.
 Ciro 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Indy:

I think you'll be fine. I usually fly with a 32L rucksack (black diamond sphynx). It's a bit too tall for the regulations, but I've never once been asked to show that it fits in the cage thing - and that's dozens of flights including plenty where they were rammed full and going round asking for volunteers to put bags in the hold.

As you approach the gate the staff are all looking down at the floor for oversized wheely things, they're not asking people to turn round and show what's on their backs.

andy 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Ciro:

> As you approach the gate the staff are all looking down at the floor for oversized wheely things, they're not asking people to turn round and show what's on their backs.

Until you fly on a busy low-cost flight (often Ryanair to Dublin from both Leeds and Liverpool) when i have seen them several time walk down the queue and make people put their hand luggage into the gauge at the gate. I've only ever had it weighed once, mind.
In reply to andy:

easyJet won't weigh it, as they don't have a weight limit.

Neil
 Bob Hughes 03 Oct 2014
In reply to imkevinmc:

this is very much airport dependent. It still takes ages to get your bags at Madrid Terminal 4.
 Ciro 03 Oct 2014
In reply to andy:

> Until you fly on a busy low-cost flight (often Ryanair to Dublin from both Leeds and Liverpool) when i have seen them several time walk down the queue and make people put their hand luggage into the gauge at the gate. I've only ever had it weighed once, mind.

To be fair, I tend to go EJ if over Ryanair if I can... although when I get through to departures, I tend to make myself as comfortable as possible on a seat or a corner of the floor and wait till the queue's all boarded anyway.
 imkevinmc 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Wouldn't have to if you were still able to fly here

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/12/ciudad-real-international_n_166752...
 Bob Hughes 03 Oct 2014
In reply to imkevinmc:

Ha!

Duncan Bourne 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Indy:

I take my 60 litre Lowe Alpine as hand luggage all the time, Easyjet, Ryanair no probs. I simply pack all my climbing kit into my main suitcase/rucksac and only carry essential items with me onto the plane. The Lowe Alpine will easily crush down into a space well below the required size. The at the other end I have my, now uncrushed, climbing sac so I don't have to lug a suitcase/large travel bag up to the crags. If I feel I might need a day sack then I pack a light one into my main case.
 Carolyn 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Indy:

When I flew Easyjet last winter they were being fairly strict on one of the flights - certainly getting people to show it would fit in the cage easily. I got away without being asked, but ai was herding two small children by myself (and carrying a random assortment of my hand luggage, their hand luggage and all the coats), and I guess they took pity on me.....we were easily within limits overall, and my bag (the biggest) was broadly acceptable.

It seemed to mainly be the small wheely cases that were getting checked.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...