UKC

Things to do in Bournemouth!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 03 Oct 2014
My other half is going to a medical conference in Bournemouth next month and I will be tagging along, but not going to the conference. I'm hoping the hotel has a pool and I will be taking my running kit, but has anyone got any suggestions for things I could do in the day time. Interesting places to visit, places to run, etc. I won't have a car with me.
 Stroppy 03 Oct 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I have two suggestions:

1) Get yourself to Sandbanks (maybe run along the beach), then go windsurfing/kitesurfing/paddleboarding/kayaking depending on the wind. The Watersports Academy at Sandbanks Hotel is good.

2) Find a lift to Swanage and go climbing at some of the best crags in the world (within 100 or so miles).
 Fredt 03 Oct 2014

Although not challenging, mountain biking in the New Forest is very pleasant and interesting. Mountain bike hire in Burley.

I have often attempted running in The New Forest, but you'd need a 1:25000 map or a good gps. Maps don't show the damp bits.
OP The New NickB 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Fredt:

How close / accessible is the New Forest from Bournemouth?
 toad 03 Oct 2014

Go down to the sea front. Take a blanket, a flask of tea and a copy of the daily mail. Wrap yourself in the blanket, pour a cup of tea, allow to go cold. Open Daily Mail. Close eyes. Wait..............
 Fredt 03 Oct 2014

> How close / accessible is the New Forest from Bournemouth?

About 30 mins by car to Burley, which is in the middle of the nearest bit of New Forest, though there is a lot more further away.
 Jonathan Emett 03 Oct 2014

slightly eccentric museum? http://www.russell-cotes.bournemouth.gov.uk/HomePage.aspx

on a rainy day - train/bus to poole, go to the project http://www.theprojectclimbingcentre.co.uk/
 Phil1919 03 Oct 2014

I'd factor in a long slow run each day from the hotel taking in the network of footpaths just out of town.
 Phil1919 03 Oct 2014

....and take the chance to explore Bournemouth on foot rather than travelling away from it.
 TomBaker 03 Oct 2014

Train from the station to Brockenhurst is 15 minutes and puts you in the middle of the forest.

If you run to boscombe along the beach (about a mile) there are some sandstone "boulders" that are fun. Don't bother trying to surf, kitsurfing lessons in poole harbour however would be good.

Fantastic area for kayaking, good mountain biking either in the forest or Purbeck, some nice road biking if you head out the back of Bournemouth to wimbourne area.

Also loads of places to eat or get drunk if that's your thing.
 Neil Williams 03 Oct 2014

Running along the sea front is nice.

Neil
 thermal_t 03 Oct 2014

Crackhead spotting in Bosvegas?

If you want to eat out one night Koh Thai is amazing if you like Thai food.
 LastBoyScout 03 Oct 2014
In reply to TomBaker:

> If you run to Boscombe along the beach (about a mile) there are some sandstone "boulders" that are fun. Don't bother trying to surf, kitsurfing lessons in poole harbour however would be good.

I was also going to suggest the run to Boscombe.

However, I disagree with your comments about the surf - I've had some great mornings at Bournemouth, although it does get very busy.

Further suggestions would be to get to Poole and have a trip to Brownsea Island and go red squirrel spotting.
OP The New NickB 04 Oct 2014

Thanks all. That has given me a few ideas.
 AJM 04 Oct 2014

You could probably get the bus to poole and then to Swanage and go running along the cliffs. If you want to go climbing indoors then I'd second the recommendation for the Project.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...