UKC

Patio slabs for shed base-edge options?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 djwilse 04 Oct 2014
Hi
Question for builders and DIYers. I have just put down a base for a new shed using 5mm paving slabs on a dry mix (8:1 grit sand to cement). Reasonably pleased with it (level and not rocking!).
On two sides the slabs are next to concrete paths - these are not level or parallel, so there is a gap of up to 4mm in places.
On the other two sides it joins on to the garden soil (currently lower than the slabs).

I am hoping to put in a mortar on the sides joining the concrete and then a 45deg haunch on the soil sides.

The question is could I use the same mix for all these sides and if so what ratio and would grit sand be ok. As ever the internet show up a mass of different options. It does not need to look that pretty as most will be covered.

I hope this makes sense!!?

Thanks in advance for your tips.
 Jacob Ram 04 Oct 2014
In reply to djwilse:

Morter will be ok for the gaps , but I would make it 6;1 , and for the haunching , use ballast as it will be way stronger , again 6;1

Surly your slabs are 5CM not MM

OP djwilse 04 Oct 2014
In reply to Jacob Ram:

Thanks - yes 5cm - otherwise might be a bit thin!!

I have 2 left over bags of post mix, might it be possible to use them for the haunching?

Any thoughts over sharp/grit sand vs soft/rendering sand for the mortar?

Cheers
DJW
cp123 04 Oct 2014
In reply to djwilse:
Post mix would most likely be fine as long as it's not years old as it does go off, you could always mix it in with your other concrete mix but all it is is cement and sharp sand.

People use soft sand for motar as it's easier to work with and it doesn't need the interlocking crystals of the sharp sand to gain its strength. So if your motar is purely filling the ago rather than being used for load distribution then use that. Normally 3 in 1 is used for motar.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...