UKC

Pod Black Ice for backpacking?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Yonder 04 Oct 2014
I'm keen on getting a Pod Black Ice but am primarily interested in a 'sack that can serve a multitude of tasks, not being purely for climbing. I'd like to use it extensively for multi-day hillwalking and wild camping, with long days carrying around 15kg or more. How would you rate the Black Ice for this, mainly in terms of comfort? Of course there are many rucksack out there aimed more at the backpacking market, but many seem to lack the durability of the Black Ice. Here I'm thinking Osprey etc.
Also, does anyone know how the new versions of the Black ice compare to the older ones - wondering if the new ownership of Podsacs was affecting quality at all.
Any advice on this or any other suitable rucksacks?
 andy_e 04 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Yonder:

Have you looked at the Montane Torque? It it a great all round bag, from carrying shopping, to cragging, hiking and alpine exploits!
Removed User 04 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Yonder: I found the black ice superbly comfortable whe doing the Cape Wrath tail carrying 15k and it kept out the weather very well, everything was dry when I stopped.

Si Withington 04 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Yonder:

Great, bombproof pack. I use mine mainly for lugging heavy loads of rope and gear for work, but have used it recently wild camping with a shed load of gear, water and medical kit in. One of the heaviest loads I've been on the hill with but the pack carried it well and was pretty comfy. Ive had mine for about 3 or 4 years and it's had some abuse. Apart from the dirt, its still as good as new.
Removed User 04 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Yonder:

I've never carried as much as 15kg but I have done a lot of backpacks with mine. Perfect pack for it. No idea about how the new ones compare to the old ones, mine is one of the last of the Sheffield made packs (c.9 years old).
 StuDoig 04 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Yonder:

I've the black ice and use it alot for carrying heavier than normal loads - it's certainly comfortable and durable. Side compression straps are good and long as well. Comparatively uncluttered compared to many too which appealed to me.

Cheers,

Stuart
 Timmd 04 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Yonder:

I found it somehow didn't suit my back, whether it's comfy might probably depend largely on your back shape.
In reply to Blue Yonder:

I recently used my old one for two weeks backpacking / trekking in Ladakh with no problem (14-16kg weight). Should be good as long as you don't mind the fairly minimalist padding on the waistbelt and general lack of external pockets.

I think the weight of some of the backpacking rucksacks that companies like osprey make is crazy.
In reply to Blue Yonder: It is great for backpacking with around 15kg. In fact for total pack weights in that range I would say it is almost ideal.

They are also perfectly useable for higher weights. 19kg is normal for me for 4 day trips when I'm working and that is fine although not ideal.

However at weights of 23kg+ its limitations such as the lack of padding on the relatively narrow waist belt become very apparent and it is much more uncomfortable than specific backpacking or expedition packs.

However, I replaced my Black Ice with an Alpine 50 (same load carrying comments apply) and I think the later is marginally better for backpacking use.

Blizzard 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Yonder:

Have to disagree with some posters on here. The Black Ice does not have a very padded back system, or comfy harness system for heavy weight distribution. I trekked with one last year, carried approx 16- 17kg. After 5 hours walking was glad to get it off my back.

Get something with a more substantial harness system. Not sure that a black Ice is as versatile as you are hoping for it to be. I suggest you go for a macpac. One of the best packs I've ever owned.
 alasdair19 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Yonder:

I have the thin ice I think just a minor variation. will he fine in right size. but 15 kgs is never fun. try a few sacks on you may be surprised at difference of comfort depending on your own size/ shape
 alasdair19 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

if the poster wants to use his sack for alpine climbing he's got a compromise on his hands. probably best to get a very light cheap bag for alpinism. But then what to use for winter climbing when 30l won't hack it?
m0unt41n 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Yonder:

I have used a Black Ice for a couple of years in Mountain Rescue. Typical basic carry weight is about 12 - 14Kg and very comfortable. Also done a few hours with rope bag on top so 20+ Kg or a DoE rucksack on top 24Kg+ and still OK for a few hours. Strongly recommend as simple and bomb proof. No pointless pockets or straps.

For all day over 20Kg I have an XPod which has a bit more padding.

OP Blue Yonder 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Yonder:

Blue Yonder here again - What do you think of the capacity of the Black Ice, is it an accurate 50L+? And does anyone know where I can find a retailer (live in Scotland, visit London often enough) where I can actually see a Black Ice and try it on?
I was thinking too about Aiguille Alpine 'sacks, as a possible alternative to the Black Ice. Any views? I was thinking the Dru 50+10 or the Ecrin. Look very well made but a bit lighter than the Black Ice and with a more padded hip belt for heavy load bearing.
Any users out there for feedback?
 Andy Hardy 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Yonder:

I just bought a size 3 black ice, it's roughly 62 x 33 x 20 cm, plus the lid.
HTH
m0unt41n 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Yonder:

Hard to say but the Black Ice size 3 is significantly bigger than the Crux size 3 AK47

Podsac aka Planet X now seem to have loads in stock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...