UKC

Under-rated or little-known but amazing outdoor kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alexgoodey 04 Oct 2014
What have you purchased on a whim and been thoroughly impressed by? Or gadgets / clothing you've been given and realised you can't live without?

I bought a Z-packs rucksack - cost an arm and a leg but I love it to bits because it weighs less than 300 grams

Also very impressed with a ridulously cheap down sleeping bag I bought from Millets for £40.

Oh and a Shaven Raspberry timing card.. genius design but I think I've lost it
 Ciro 04 Oct 2014
In reply to alexgoodey:

Wild Climb shoes - I've been using the Panteras for a couple of years now, and they're an excellent shoe at a pretty decent price. Starting to see them at the crag a lot more in Italy but not in the UK yet.
 PPP 04 Oct 2014
In reply to alexgoodey:

LOMO dry bag style rucksacks. For that price, they are more than amazing and the company is few miles away from my house.

Alpkit stuff tends to be cheap but well made as well.
 marsbar 04 Oct 2014
In reply to PPP:

Lomo are great.
 Rick Graham 04 Oct 2014
In reply to marsbar:

> Lomo are great.

+1
 Blue Straggler 05 Oct 2014
In reply to PPP:

> the company is few miles away from my house.

Does that make it
"under-rated or little-known but amazing" ?

Would they be crap if they were 100 miles away? And really really crap if 300 miles away?
 Gazlynn 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Kai:

Offt $275 for a minimalist 40l sack is pretty expensive.

Could you elaborate on what makes these sacks better / at least twice the price of most other sack manufactures?

A genuine question.

Cheers

Gaz

needvert 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Kai:

I got the 55L. Best pack I've owned (which until the HMG arrived was a 30L cilogear, a very cool pack feature wise). HMG packs are good value imo.
 Kevster 05 Oct 2014
In reply to alexgoodey:

Not little known, but the best purchase for the year for climbing, not running.

Merrel trail gloves.

They are very light weight bare foot trail running shoes. Bought a pair for 54 quid the other day, for when the current pair wears out.

Don't run in them, they are outstanding approach/get off the crag multipitch type shoes for when the descent is not an abseil, they weigh so little and are low volume that I don't mind carrying them even as a leader on tough climbs. eg El Zulu riglos this year. And as they are trail running shoes, the tread and rubber are excellent for such purposes.

K
 PPP 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yes. It makes it more amazing. If you ever had problems with contacting a company 1000 miles away, you will know what I mean.
In reply to alexgoodey: Most of my kit is all pretty mainstream however there are a few bits of gear I do have that are slightly less common...

Kong GiGi - still the most user friendly guide plate around.
Petal Freino carabiniers - stupidly expensive but superb when paired with a GriGri.
Grivel Plume screwgates - bought on a whim for scrambling but they are rapidly moving to my normal climbing rack. Crazy light but still perfectly usable.
Mammut 180cm slings - I find these a brilliant length but being completely non-standard generally they confuse the hell out of my climbing partners.

Plus, I just bought a Grivel Rotor krab yesterday. Time will tell whether it is a genius idea or just extra weight and a waste of money.
 Ciro 05 Oct 2014
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Speaking of Grivel innovations, anyone used the Omega twin gate biner? It does look like a pretty neat device...
 AlanLittle 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Kevster:

> Merrel trail gloves. ... outstanding approach/get off the crag multipitch type shoes for when the descent is not an abseil, they weigh so little and are low volume that I don't mind carrying them even as a leader on tough climbs.

I had a pair for that and found them ok, then replaced them with a pair of very light Inov-8s that I find better.

nwclimber 05 Oct 2014
In reply to AlanLittle & Kevster:

How long did your Merrels last?

My second pair of Inov-8 terroc 330s are on the point of total collapse after two years. Unfortunately they are no longer made (the latest ones with the same name are a totally different design) so I am looking for a replacement.
 Kai 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

> Offt $275 for a minimalist 40l sack is pretty expensive.

> Could you elaborate on what makes these sacks better / at least twice the price of most other sack manufactures?

> A genuine question.

> Cheers

> Gaz

Very lightweight. Carries larger loads comfortably. Climbs well with smaller loads. Durable, waterproof. Comes in different back lengths.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Mountaineering-Backpack-Reviews/Hyperlite-Mou...

http://larsonweb.com/blog/?p=296

http://www.nicktruax.com/?p=369

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zQpAjlrU-vkJ:hikinginf...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...