UKC

This week's Dr Who (spoiler)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 04 Oct 2014
Nooooo! I can't bear relationship breakdown! Noooo! Bring him back and make it all ok again pleeease!

Ahem. Stiff upper lip. But I am *not* happy about The Doctor and Clara.
 The Lemming 04 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I beg to differ. I think the new combo is dynamite. The doctor has the potential to rival Malcolm Tucker and make the Doctor something to be feared the universe over rather than a stringy pretty boy running round. And Clara, well she's sex on a stick, and is almost the equal of the Time Lord.
 Dr.S at work 05 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

some good episodes - some patchy - should make the Arc more prominent
 The Pylon King 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> should make the Arc more prominent

eh?

Offwidth 05 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

For old Genesis fans (just watched the bbc documentary) this episode was all a bit Duke.
 Chris the Tall 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> For old Genesis fans (just watched the bbc documentary) this episode was all a bit Duke.

Watched that, but slowly lost interest in the second half to the point that I forgot the TV was still going.....
 Dax H 05 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Things have been going down hill fast for the last few series and it's a damn shame because the new doctor is fantastic. He has exactly the right level of menace mixed with whimsy.
 The Pylon King 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Dax H:

Yes they really need to step up the quality of the writing to match the new Doctor.
 deepsoup 05 Oct 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

While Russell T Davies was head writer, Steven Moffat consistently wrote all the best episodes. Witty, poignant (without Davies's tendency to become mawkish), and invariably with clever plots that actually made sense.

How frustrating that the quality of the writing (including Moffat's own) has so gone down the pan since he became the head writer, and all the more so lately just as they have such an excellent actor in the role.

Obviously no one expects Dr Who to be scientifically rigorous or anything, but last night's episode was just offensively stupid.
 Lord_ash2000 05 Oct 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

> Obviously no one expects Dr Who to be scientifically rigorous or anything, but last night's episode was just offensively stupid.

I agree, how does an egg suddenly again mass? and how does the creature that hatched lay a new egg of the same mass moments after it's own birth? It was just stupid.
OP BusyLizzie 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

Not to mention that a space shuttle could not get to the moon and that if it did it would be travelling (my domestic physicist tells me) at about 7 miles per second and would just crash and disintegrate; nor that the creature when it hatched would boil away into the vacuum - just as we would in space.
 Martin W 05 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> the creature when it hatched would boil away into the vacuum - just as we would in space.

If your domestic physicist told you that, they're wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_exposure
 kevin stephens 05 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I've only dipped in and out this series but so far: Doctor has great potential but ruined by shite writting
 splat2million 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

The mass thing was a plot device to stop them from having to simulate the low gravity walking that people do on the moon, therefore making the episode cheaper to produce.
In reply to BusyLizzie:
> Not to mention that a space shuttle could not get to the moon...

Am I missing something here? How do you think Neil Armstrong et al got there?

> ... and that if it did it would be travelling (my domestic physicist tells me) at about 7 miles per second and would just crash and disintegrate; nor that the creature when it hatched would boil away into the vacuum - just as we would in space.

Not sure about all that; I was more concerned that the creature could apparently fly away by flapping its wings. In space.

Oh yeah, and that the moon suddenly "put on weight". Where did the extra mass come from?
Post edited at 22:10
 Hooo 05 Oct 2014
In reply to crossdressingrodney:

> Am I missing something here? How do you think Neil Armstrong et al got there?

It wasn't in a space shuttle! The space shuttle couldn't get anywhere near the moon. I thought theat was stupid at first, but quickly forgot about that in the wave of total bolox that followed.
In reply to Hooo:

Oh right, I hadn't realised a space shuttle was so limited. I assumed they could fly around in space! Also I hadn't appreciated the difference between a shuttle and a rocket.
Gone for good 06 Oct 2014
In reply to splat2million:
Thats what i thought as well, the BBC couldn't afford zero gravity special effects. i was very disappointed with Saturdays episode. Peter Capaldi deserves a better script. As an aside, I watched 'Gravity' last night for the first time - simply stunning!!!!!
Wiley Coyote2 07 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Let me get this straight: You accept a centuries-old Time Lord travelling through time and space in a futuristic machine whose camouflage circuits are so piss poor that it always looks like a police box but you're quibbling about the capabilities of a space shuttle?!?!?!?
 deepsoup 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
Are the camouflage circuits piss-poor, or is it just that the tardis *likes* looking like a police box? She is pretty wilful after all.

Hardly surprising the writer didn't get the space shuttle quite right, he's got some fairly major misconceptions about conservation of mass, gravity, even an egg.
Post edited at 03:33
OP BusyLizzie 07 Oct 2014

Guilty. I'd like to think there was some rational explanation for why my ability to suspend disbelief is so variable, but I fear there isn't one.
 toad 07 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I think I've missed a huge chunk of meeja coverage somewhere. Are we getting a new companion?
 Clarence 07 Oct 2014
In reply to toad:

I hope so, Quirky Smirky Pixie is nice to look at but chuffing annoying.
 UKC Forums 07 Oct 2014
This thread was started in the OFF BELAY forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Culture Bunker
A forum dedicated to reviews and discussion of media and the arts. Just read a book? Why not share it by writing a review. Love music? Want to critique the latest releases? The Culture Bunker is the place. Seen a play or a film? Let's hear about it. This is the place to come if you are looking for a book, album or film recommendation.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
Wiley Coyote2 07 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC Forums:

> This thread was started in the OFF BELAY forum and has now been moved.

You mean it's regenerated?
ceri 07 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Really annoyed by the science as well!
Bacteria that look like tarantulas, single celled organisms weighing several kilos??
"that's not water, that's amniotic fluid, the stuff all life comes from": No, that's really not where "all life comes from" and what do they think amniotic fluid is (mostly) made of.
And how on earth would an egg in space gain weight?
New science advisers needed I think.
OP BusyLizzie 07 Oct 2014
> > You mean it's regenerated?

Teleported.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...