UKC

Drill bit for Hard Rock?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 05 Oct 2014
Struggling to drill into Micro-Diorite (the hardest rock in the UK) without overheating and trashing my cheap drill bits. Can anyone recommend any quality SDS drill bits that can do the job without having to spend a fortune?
 sbc23 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Hilti TC-X

Guaranteed too. If the tip wears before the wear indicator on the side, you get a new one for free.

Steve
 sbc23 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Sorry, actually called TE-CX
OP Sl@te Head 05 Oct 2014
In reply to sbc23:

Thanks, just ordered one.
 Toerag 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:
> Struggling to drill into Micro-Diorite (the hardest rock in the UK)

How do you know that? The grano-diorite here (Guernsey) is reputed to be the hardest - in the '60s the Army agreed to blast out a channel between a quarry and the sea to make a marina as an exercise. They had to have drill bits made specially because commercially available ones weren't up to the task. Will be interesting to know which is hardest .
Anyhow, diamond drilling companies do well over here these days, but that's normally coring for extractor fans as opposed to 10mm bolt holes.
Perhaps you've answered your own question - if your bits are overheating you need to cool them.
Post edited at 10:24
OP Sl@te Head 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Toerag:

> How do you know that?

I was told by the warden of the nearby nature reserve, a very knowledgeable man (though he may well be wrong) either way I've never come across a rock type that's so hard to drill into.

I had thought about cooling the drill bits, using water wasn't practical so my only other solution was to change drill bits every time they were over heating.
 Stopsy 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Does this mean more routes at Penmaenbach Quarry? Look forward to it! Enjoyed many of those there already.
In reply to Stopsy:

Yes, more routes at Penmaenbach.....though most of them are for beginners, I'm on a mission to bolt some 4's and below like this one from the other day...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=343349 a 30metre F2!!!

Have got two harder projects however with some excellent climbing on them
 Stopsy 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Good to hear, wanting to go back and try some of the harder stuff there. Uluru Magic etc. Hope you have more success with drill bits and people appreciate the effort!
 Toerag 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> I was told by the warden of the nearby nature reserve,

> I had thought about cooling the drill bits, using water wasn't practical so my only other solution was to change drill bits every time they were over heating.

OK cool. As they're SDS I'd have thought changing bits was an option, it's not like you have to faff around with a chuck. What are you using as a drill? I found a massive difference between my non-SDS cordless and the Bosch GBH ones we use at work. PS. to steal a tip from Jim Titt - don't put them in anything plastic as they'll melt through .
In reply to Stopsy:

Thanks, glad you've enjoyed the routes there, If you enjoy 'Uluru Magic' get yourself on 'Map of the Problematique' it's 6c+ in the new Limestone guide.

Burnt through 6 drill bits today trying to bolt a new arĂȘte!
In reply to Toerag:

Using a Bosch GBH so SDS drill bits, might have to consider spraying water to cool the drill bits, or maybe I should go and drill in the rain
OP Sl@te Head 07 Oct 2014
In reply to sbc23:

> Sorry, actually called TE-CX

Arrived in the post, much better, drilled loads of holes today
In reply to Sl@te Head:

...and that makes you ) ?!
 Dan Arkle 08 Oct 2014
In reply to John Stainforth:

Holier?
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Nice one.

...or inclined to shooting foxes!
 robw007 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Which route in Hard Rock do you intend to bolt?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...