UKC

The Quarryman - Repeats?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve Perry 05 Oct 2014
I was watching Johnny Dawes filmed ascent of this today and was wondering how many times it has been repeated, anyone know?
 Tony the Blade 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:
According to the logbooks, there have been no repeats, but plenty have it on their wishlist.

That said, I do seem to remember that it has actually had a repeat by Steve McClure, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Aha, there you go... http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=62420
Post edited at 16:23
 Puppythedog 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

I'm pretty sure Pete Whitaker has climbed it.
 wilkie14c 05 Oct 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

Yea, belayed by his mam!
 coreybennett 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

Its on my list, but to do all pitches, not just the legendary 4th pitch
OP Steve Perry 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade: Thanks for that.

In reply to puppythedog:

> I'm pretty sure Pete Whitaker has climbed it.

On the Wildcountry website he has this as one of his favorite repeats, and states he would like to go back and do the rest as he only did the groove pitch.
 Puppythedog 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

Cool, so maybe not a repeat. Just the groove.
 Pete Potter 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

Steve McClure did it in May 2011. There is an article on UKC strangely enough.
 Tony the Blade 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Pete Potter:

> Steve McClure did it in May 2011. There is an article on UKC strangely enough.

Tony the Blade posted that at 4:23pm today. My post is further up strangely enough.
 Tom Last 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

There's a pic of Pete Robins on it on the cover of the GU slate guide, so guess he's done it?
 remus Global Crag Moderator 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Yeah, pretty sure Pete Robins and James McHaffie have both done it.
 aln 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

Did the repeat ascents use tthe full stretch chimney moves that Dawes did?
 wbo 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Steve Perry: you know the video is in the video's section

In reply to wbo:

It's on YouTube also.
 Sl@te Head 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:
Was lucky enough to watch the Belgian climber Nicolas Favresse on the groove pitch a few years ago, he and his team were taking some interesting falls!

Not sure whether your question is how many have climbed the groove pitch or the whole route?
 JamButty 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

Who was doing it on the Welsh Connections DVD - prob only the groove pitch I think.
 james mann 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Pretty certain that John Dunne repeated this in the 90s during his post operation phase at some point. Not sure if this was just the groove pitch or if it was the whole thing but not all in one push
 Dave Todd 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

Pretty sure that Neil Dyer did the groove pitch quite a few years ago.
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> Not sure whether your question is how many have climbed the groove pitch or the whole route?

I was just curious to know of anyone who had given any of it a serious attempt really. I suppose the hardest climbers are mainly interested in the groove pitch but either or all really.

JR 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:
Think a good number of people have now done the groove pitch and/or all the pitches but not in the same day/effort, add wiz (definitely) and calum (probably) for the groove pitch.

Robins was the first to repeat it in a day (2008), then mcclure (2011).

Technically the hardest single move is supposedly on the last pitch, but the groove is the main event.
Post edited at 00:04
 GrahamD 06 Oct 2014
In reply to james mann:

> Pretty certain that John Dunne repeated this in the 90s during his post operation phase at some point. Not sure if this was just the groove pitch or if it was the whole thing but not all in one push

I don't think he did it all but did do the groove pitch. I suspect it was at the time when the Sheffield boys wouldn't give him credit for anything so it didn't make a huge magazine splash
 Michael Gordon 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Steve Perry & aln:

I think Neil Gresham tried to do it in a single push but didn't manage the last pitch free (on that occasion). He had it as one of his 'desert island climbs' in Climber magazine a few years ago. Said that he thought Dawes was just being flamboyant on the groove until he tried it and realised there is just no other way to climb it!
In reply to Michael Gordon:

I thought quite different in fact. I could very nearly hand jam the whole of the back of the groove (Johnny wasn't too impressed I don't think) and that crucifix move at the top is quite a bit easier felt you just do a press-rock-over thingy.

A shame in some ways as Johnny's video is such brilliant movement skills!

In reply to Tony the Blade:
> (In reply to Steve Perry) According to the logbooks, there have been no repeats, but plenty have it on their wishlist.
>
> That said, I do seem to remember that it has actually had a repeat by Steve McClure, but I could be wrong.
>
> Edit: Aha, there you go... http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=62420

But how could the log books be wrong?
They are so often quoted to prove the poularity/unpopularity of a crag/route or the amount of climbing that goes on in the UK, I would have to assume that 'they were The Gospel'.
 Tony the Blade 09 Oct 2014
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> But how could the log books be wrong?

> They are so often quoted to prove the poularity/unpopularity of a crag/route or the amount of climbing that goes on in the UK, I would have to assume that 'they were The Gospel'.

Can I assume that your comment is typed with tongue firmly in cheek?

Michael Gordon 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:

Interesting stuff, thanks
In reply to Tony the Blade:

You may

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...