UKC

Yorkshire grit vol 2 - what's in it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 05 Oct 2014
The forthcoming vol 2 for Yorkshire grit, does it now contain crags like Pule Hill?

After all, with 2 volumes there's more room and these crags are over the border in Yorks so should no longer be in the Lancs guide.
 Graeme Hammond 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Michael Hood:

Pule hill is in the over the moors guide.
OP Michael Hood 05 Oct 2014
In reply to Graeme Hammond:
Thanks - I either wasn't aware of that or the relevant grey cells were on the "already gone" list

I presume others in that area such as Shooter's Nab will therefore also be in OtM?
Post edited at 19:43
 PontiusPirate 05 Oct 2014

Yes, Shooters is in OtM.
The relatively nearby Honley will be in YG Vol 2 though.

In addition, just to confuse the whole county boundary thing, I'm pretty sure that there are several near venues near Todmorden that are actually in Lancs!

PP.
 pebbles 05 Oct 2014
In reply to PontiusPirate:

"war of the roses reignited by climbing guide dispute". U.N. intervention expected.
OP Michael Hood 05 Oct 2014
In reply to PontiusPirate: I've now used the remaining grey cells and looked on the UKC crag map which leads to a list of crags in OtM and presumably there will be a similar list for YG v2 when it arrives - so thanks for the replies.
 robin mueller 05 Oct 2014
There are also a good number of crags around Todmorden which are in the forthcoming Lancashire Bouldering guide. Some of these are in Lancashire and some are technically in Yorkshire. As far as I know none of them are in the new Yorkshire guide so there won't be any overlap in coverage. Most of them also aren't on the ukc map yet as they have only recently been developed/documented. Check out the East Lancs Moors list here: http://www.lancashirebouldering.com/about-the-book/
Post edited at 20:53
 Simon Caldwell 06 Oct 2014

More room? Can't remember how big vol 1 was, but vol 2 is almost 750 pages!
 Offwidth 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Agreed, less room was the problem not more.

Anyway for info try here (contents page with crag list included a few pages in):

http://issuu.com/yorkygrit/docs/ymc_yorkygrit_vol2_sample_pages_2.0
 JayK 06 Oct 2014

Just looked at the sample pages. That is a great looking guide. Love the overhead pictures showing the layout of the crags.

Is the bouldering covered definitively?
 Offwidth 06 Oct 2014
In reply to JimmyKay:
It's probably impossible to ever be definitive with bouldering. All the key areas and problems are in, worst case some pretty minor venues get brief outline coverage with no problems listed.
Post edited at 13:24
 JayK 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Fair. Looks like a great guide for finding your way about though. Nice one.
 chalkyjim 06 Oct 2014

This guide and the previous volume is the new standard for guidebooks. The next volume may only be a downloadable type I fear!!
 PontiusPirate 06 Oct 2014
In reply to JimmyKay:

> Is the bouldering covered definitively?

Not any more: Vol 1 is now out of date on that front (though admittedly, a lot of these were probably climbed before and never recorded, some real gems though, and often close to or even in sight of a road!) The Leeds Wall website hosts the pdf updates, there's a couple up already and expect some more in due course...

PP.

DerwentDiluted 06 Oct 2014

Just had a look at the sample pages,
Kirkless crags? Are Huddersfield crags devoid of Starship captains and Scottish churches? Hope its not too late to correct that typo.
Bingers 06 Oct 2014

When is it due out? Can put it on my Christmas list?
 chalkyjim 06 Oct 2014

November. Only if you've been a good girl this year.
 chalkyjim 07 Oct 2014
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Well spotted. Thats just a sample page not the finished product so should be fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...