UKC

capercaille, forestry and mountain biking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
annie le 05 Oct 2014
So I'm lucky enough to live in strathspey where we have oodles of awesome single track for biking and also a fair few capper. And then heaps of forestry. So at the moment there is a bit of a debate going on as to whether bikers should be restricted from areas of forest where the capers are known to roam. These areas are also forestry and some are currently undergoing complete clear fell. Leading to both confused birds and bikers wandering about sadly. So knowledgeable world of UKC, are there any thoughts on ways to manage all these conflicting land uses? Or ways to prove that mtbers reduce capper numbers or not ( a friend working for rspb admits they have no evidence) or just ways to tell forestry to go shove thier graders up somewhere small and dark?
 Cuthbert 05 Oct 2014
In reply to annie le:

Where are you referring to specifically?

You can find lots of info here but I think it is fair to say that any disturbance will be detrimental to a species under such a threat. We don't want them to go extinct, again.

http://www.snh.gov.uk/about-scotlands-nature/species/recent-species-project...
 DaveHK 05 Oct 2014
In reply to annie le:

I'm not sure why they'd want to restrict MTBers alone unless they can show that it is only bikers that cause the issue.

The only time I've ever seen a Capercaille whilst biking I had to get out of its way!
 aln 05 Oct 2014
In reply to annie le:

> So I'm lucky enough to live in strathspey

I'm lucky enough to live in Strathspey.
FTFY

Chris the Tall 05 Oct 2014
In reply to annie le:

Not sure whether this is relevant, but you might be interested in the story of the ring ouzels on Stanage. The BMC resisted a total ban on climbing during the nesting season, arguing instead that the birds seems to be fine with climbers in the vicinity, but not to close. After all they were nesting on the most popular sections of the most popular crag in the country - though not the most popular route. A plausible theory is that climbers scare away predators.
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Worth noting as well that one of the most succesful Black Grouse breeding areas in North Wales is right in the middle of a popular mountain biking area (Coed Llandegla Forest).
Removed User 05 Oct 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

> The only time I've ever seen a Capercaille whilst biking I had to get out of its way!

Definitely the best option. Hard birds, always up for a scrap. This is amusing: Weegie vs Caper.

youtube.com/watch?v=8o_yeP-nFz0&
llechwedd 06 Oct 2014
In reply to annie le:

You sound rather confrontational.
If forest operations are being carried out, and you have an interest in the area, perhaps you might ask the forest manager why.
Have you asked why there's an area of clearfell ( I'm not sure what you mean by 'complete' clearfell)? You may be surprised at the answers, that is, if you allow your head to move from 'somewhere small and dark' and begin to see the bigger picture.
Who knows- it might be felled for species diversity, creation of glades, leks etc.
Forest management in the UK, in an area of high recreational and biodiversity importance is always about managing conflicting demands.

Whilst I don't know you personally, I will make this observation on the basis of the wording of your post:
In the UK, it seems the majority of people do not understand forest management. By contrast, in Northern France, I have seen how the local communities use the forests rather intensively for firewood, hunting, riding, mushroom hunts, walks, cycles etc. It is a way of life. There, when an area is set aside for natural regeneration of e.g. Oak, it does not require fencing or signs to have people steer clear of it.
Contrast this to the UK-the not uncommon 'Yay!' bikers filled with a sense of self entitlement to the whole playground. It aint rocket science to to see that an element of zoned activities are beneficial to the wellbeing of the forest as a whole. The impact of the odd bike going through an area during the less critical times of a bird's life cycle are likely minimal... ( hopefully you can see where I'm going on this one).

Contact the office managing the woodland and ask for a copy of the management plan- You'll see how clearfell is carefully planned, scaled, timed, and zoned. The end result may look a bit messy for a while to someone of urban sensibilities. In this cycle decades long, there'll be a gradual recolonising of the area afterwards.
 Doug 06 Oct 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Similarly, the OP states that cyclists are being restricted from some areas - is it just cyclists ? or also walkers, runners etc.

I remember that when I lived in Strathspey that some areas of Glenmore managed by the FC were put aside as quiet areas to help caper (& other wildlife) have an area with little noise or disturbance. They were not 'policed' but it was policy to not way mark the few paths that were there & not to create any new paths/tracks. Is this the same ?

llechwedd 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:
That's my understanding of it from my time with the FC.
There are issues with public liability if a path has, e.g. a tree purposely felled across it to obstruct and deter use.
There's a great understanding of human psychology in the techniques used by the upland path maintenance teams to deter short cuts or path braiding without it being obvious to the traveller. I guess a few similar techniques get used in woodlands.

Ron Rees Davies flags up the apparent paradox that is Coed Llandegla. Haven't been there for years. UPM Tillhill, the private forestry company, have worked to enhance the Blackgame numbers by restructuring the forest edges to a sort of transition zone facing onto the adjoining moorland. The majority of the colour coded bike trails are on the other side of the plantation. It's still quite impressive to have 20-30 miles of track in a relatively small forest without apparent detriment to the bird numbers.
Post edited at 12:54
 alasdair19 06 Oct 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

interest in replies thanks.

trained as a lawyer I like rules. are capers not mega endangered? does this not mean that all recreational and forest activities need to take a back seat? as the op states you've a he'll of a lot if single track to play on. ..

ps I heard summer mountain bike development was stopped at cairngorm mountain due to capers? can anyone confirm or deny?
 Doug 06 Oct 2014
In reply to alasdair19:
Not sure of the latest figures but there are >1000 individuals in the UK, so threatened by not "mega endangered' (and they are much more common in Scandinavia).

No idea what the most endangered British bird is, but spotted crake (also found in Strathspey) have less than 100 calling males while there are around 200 pairs of osprey although both are more common elsewhere.
 StuDoig 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Possibly one of the best youtube clips I've seen!

Stu
 Bulls Crack 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed User:

amusing but why didn't he just clear off?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...