UKC

The joys of being a writer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Am absolutely aghast, gobsmacked, astounded, etc. Have just heard 'through the grapevine', from a very reliable source, that Joe Brown (no less) has recently read my book 'Fiva' and really likes it, is raving about it etc. Will find out more tomorrow, I hope.
 Yanis Nayu 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I liked it too. Does being a good climber make one a more worthy reader?
In reply to Malcolm Tucker's Sweary Aunt:

> I liked it too. Does being a good climber make one a more worthy reader?

In this case, it is a legendary climber reacting to the subject matter rather than a literary critic reacting to the writing, I think - because he once told me 'I don't read books'. You know, if you'd written a book set in the world of tennis, and John McEnroe said he really liked it, I think you'd be pretty happy.
 mattrm 07 Oct 2014

I'm not surprised that he liked it. I've got a signed copy and it's a treasured possession, it's a really cracking read. I couldn't put it down till I'd finished it. Sat up till about 1am in a campsite reading it.
 Only a hill 07 Oct 2014

I agree — it's uniquely satisfying when an acknowledged master of your field enjoys your work. Although I think it would be difficult for any climber *not* to enjoy FIVA!

Now all I need to do is find a time machine and send a copy of my book to the desk of Professor Forbes in Edinburgh
 Doug 07 Oct 2014

Doesn't he appear in the book ? maybe it brought back memories?

In reply to Doug:

Yes, he appears in the Afterword. Joe and Geoff Birtles arrived at the campsite shortly after we got back from Fiva, asked us all about it, and then went and did it, solo, in 12 hours. So yes, it would have brought back many memories.
 Yanis Nayu 07 Oct 2014

I'm glad you're excited about it and I completely understand, but I still think it's completely illogical (which I guess is one of the problems with logic).
abseil 08 Oct 2014

> ...Joe Brown (no less) has recently read my book 'Fiva' and really likes it, is raving about it etc...

That's great - makes me want to read it. And I hope you get some feedback and/or post some more about it, thanks.
abseil 08 Oct 2014

> ...I still think it's completely illogical...

I see your point, but how can it be "completely"? When a real expert and legendary figure reads our stuff, anyone would like the news. I would.

Edit, caveat, my nearest and dearest (there aren't many of them) sometimes accuse me of being wildly illogical...
Post edited at 04:40
 Yanis Nayu 08 Oct 2014
In reply to abseil:

I'll dump the completely then)
abseil 08 Oct 2014

> I'll dump the completely then)

OK!

I'm really bad at logic anyway. What's all that about Schroder's cat being dead and alive at the same time or whatever honestly I can't be bothered. I find it hard enough focusing on the essential life skills of making my tea and toast in the morning and then washing up. Life's too much for me...

> I'm glad you're excited about it and I completely understand, but I still think it's completely illogical (which I guess is one of the problems with logic).

Emotions are illogical, Malcolm )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...