UKC

Christmas climb in spain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 samparsons 07 Oct 2014
Hi myself and my girlfriend want to go climbing over the Christmas holiday and escape all the family. We are looking at Spain Mallorca or around the Alicante area. PLease if anyone has done it or has any info that would be great thanks
 Mark Harding 07 Oct 2014
In reply to samparsons:

> Hi myself and my girlfriend want to go climbing over the Christmas holiday and escape all the family. We are looking at Spain Mallorca or around the Alicante area. PLease if anyone has done it or has any info that would be great thanks

I think you’ll find that many, many people on here have done it!
The best bet is the Costa Blanca , as the weather is a lot more stable at that time of year. Mallorca can be cold and rainy.
Get yourself a hire car, a copy of the appropriate RockFax and stay in Clape, I would be very surprised if you were disappointed.

CALPE!
Post edited at 18:53
OP samparsons 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Mark Harding:

Thanks thats great help, it looks great as well. What accommodation have you used? and would you recommend it?
 Sam Mayfield 12 Oct 2014
In reply to samparsons:

Hi Sam

if you guys want a romantic break just the 2 of you, then check out ownersdirect for some great deals on villas, I would suggest Altea area, much nicer than Calpe.

If however you want to mix with other climbers we do have a few double rooms left with us at The Orange House. Always couples over that week all trying to escape the family. I do trim up the house but only under pressure, bah humbug!

Sam Orange House
 Dave Williams 12 Oct 2014
In reply to samparsons:

In common with many others, I too have done this. The only slightly unusual thing we did was to drive out rather than fly. It took 2 days each way (2 drivers) with an overnight stop in southern France and we arrived on Christmas Eve. It was the most memorable climbing trip to Spain that I've ever done, simply because of the journey. We left a cold, sleety mid-winter Wales, endured more snow in central France and then basically drove to an entirely 'different' season - sunny, warm and balmy weather in the main on the Costa Blanca.

If self-catering, be sure to stock up on food etc before everywhere closes for Christmas.

It's a great way to miss the usual Christmas stuff. On Christmas Day itself, three of us (in tee shirts!) had the whole of the Penon to ourselves. Bliss!

Have fun!

Dave
 Mark Eddy 12 Oct 2014
In reply to samparsons:

Hi Sam,
We head to Calpe during the winter and can highly recommend it. The climbing in Costa Blanca is excellent and suits a wide variety of abilities.

If you're wanting a more 'away from it all' break, try the Jalon valley which is still near most of the crags. Here's a link to some accommodation options in the area: http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/jalon-valley.htm

Hope you have a great time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...