UKC

I'm buying my first house - Help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mountain Lass 08 Oct 2014
I'm buying my first ever house. I've found it, can afford it without too much bother (I'm worried about inflation), am having it surveyed. Offer has been accepted subject to survey.

Am completely 'strange frictionless lichen on the sloper crux' terrified.

Please tell me what should I do/look for/consider etc.,

Thanks so much

ml

JamButty 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Mountain Lass:

Always good to have a nosey at different times of day. Is it on a trade route back from a nightclub for example, is it near a local tip so if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, it stinks.
Have there been any disputes with neighbours over boundaries etc - ask them about the neighbours and see what reaction you get.
Sometimes good to haggle when you get the survey if things need doing get some money off, or get them to leave some things behind eg fridge, cooker.
Oh on that note be clear what they are actually leaving behind, it may not be what you expect.
Good luck, enjoy it.....
 wintertree 08 Oct 2014
I would suggest not haggling over minor issues in the survey. Unless the results are very different to what you expected (e.g. Falling in to a mineshaft, rotten structural timbers, roof now ornamental only) you may find that goodwill is worth more than minor savings.

Make sure that you and your solicitor are in agreement about who does what, and when, including anticipated costs and an anticipated schedule of payments.

Make sure all instructions to your solicitor are in writing, and that you keep a record. Send them as formal letters by post and as a PDF copy attached to an email explaining that this is a copy of the posted letter. Date everything. This is both because written communications help make sure you're both singing to the same tune, and as a fallback in case of any highly unlikely screwup by them. Be responsive to phone calls but follow them up with written confirmation of what you told them.

Make sure that they don't leave you a loft full of rubbish!

Don't let anyone bully or push you into rash decisions.

If you are gathering funds or loans from other purchasers or relatives or investments, make sure you don't exceed the FSCS protection arrangements in the mean time. Make sure well in advance that you can remove £10 from each account involved to find and problems early. Find out daily transfer limits etc.

Bin, recycle or donate everything you can well before moving.

Good luck!
Post edited at 17:45
MaxWilliam 08 Oct 2014

What are your terrified of?

I'd recommend you "survey" it yourself too, as surveys are not that useful other than for fundamental issues. A modern home has a lot of expensive stuff in it these days. Spend an hour or two systematically working around the exterior or rooms looking for any issues. Look in the loft (particularly around chimneys and ridges). Look for damp, mould, poor gutters, ground above damp course, trees etc. Do room have sensible sized radiators and enough electrical sockets. Wallpaper and fresh paint can hide rubbish plasterwork. Search the internet for local plans and check flood zones.

As soon as you're in you'll probably find more things wrong and every DIY job takes 5x longer than you think, so be realistic.

At the end of the day most things are fixable except location, bad neighbours, flood zones, old mines, etc.!

Good luck!
Simos 08 Oct 2014

If you can afford it, you have nothing to worry about?

Why are you worried about inflation? It works to your favour big time when you own a house!!!
 Timmd 08 Oct 2014

Have you had the land surveyed if there's a large earth bank near the house, or anything like that? A lot of rain can (sometimes) do things.
 Timmd 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Simos:

> It works to your favour big time when you own a house!!!

That depends on the mortgage payments.
OP Mountain Lass 08 Oct 2014

Thanks so much all - really appreciate the replies.

ml
 elsewhere 08 Oct 2014
Wander round the area after dark on a Friday or Saturday night.

Edradour 09 Oct 2014
In reply to MaxWilliam:

> Spend an hour or two systematically working around the exterior or rooms looking for any issues.

You'd have to have particularly friendly sellers for this to happen. I certainly wouldn't want a prospective buyer in the house for 2 hours 'systematically' looking round the place - that's exactly what the survey is for (and a survey is different from a 'valuation' which is pretty worthless other than for mortgage approval purposes). Also, unless she has experience will the OP know what to look for?

> Search the internet for local plans and check flood zones.

Your solicitor should do this for you. You pay for local searches, they include flood plains.

climbwhenready 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Edradour:

> Search the internet for local plans and check flood zones.

> Your solicitor should do this for you. You pay for local searches, they include flood plains.

You can save an awful lot of money if you check the internet before paying a solicitor
 Jamie Wakeham 09 Oct 2014

Ask to see any major appliances which are included in the sale actually working. We didn't do this and found ourselves buying a new boiler in the first couple of weeks.
 maxsmith 09 Oct 2014

go to http://www.police.uk/ and click on 'crime maps'

Then enter the street name or postcode...

It will show how much antisocial behaviour/burglary/car crime etc etc happened on the street over the last five years or so

also agree with sitting in your car outside on a Friday and Saturday night
 Edradour 09 Oct 2014
In reply to climbwhenready:

> You can save an awful lot of money if you check the internet before paying a solicitor

You still have to pay for the searches even if you do them yourself.
 climbwhenready 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Edradour:

Sure, we weren't talking about the full LA search - we were talking about things like planning permission and flood plains, which are freely available.
 d508934 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Edradour:

not always, for instance flood searches can be optional - and a check on EA website plus a local walk around to see in practise can save - but admittedly only a small amount. but for me my own opinion/judgement was more useful than the survey anyway.

to the OP: don't be afraid if building survey brings up issues not apparent on a viewing to get building quotes then reduce offer accordingly. as you have it off the market with offer accepted there is no risk of losing property to another buyer. or if fairly minor the seller can make house adjustments etc (putting anti-rain covering things on chimneys is a common one)
 ByEek 09 Oct 2014

Don't fret. If it feels right, it is right. Buying a house isn't that big a deal... really. Just a bit of a grown up thing to do.
MaxWilliam 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Edradour:

> You still have to pay for the searches even if you do them yourself.

In my experience a lot gets missed by searches and surveys. The point I am making is do your own due diligence, as you learn a lot more. I found flood maps/environment searches to be unreliable, it is worth making your own judgements. What a survey doesn't look at may in fact be important to you, which you didn't notice on previous viewings.

If I am spending £XXXk and a vendor is unwilling to let me have a thorough second/third viewing of at least an hour I would probably be reconsidering... I found vendors happy to oblige (they want a sale). Building rapport with a vendor can be worthwhile too. (For example I swapped temporary post completion storage for a quicker exchange, and subsequently was given some furniture of value).
 marsbar 09 Oct 2014
Chalk 09 Oct 2014
In reply to ByEek: Completely agree with ByEek, buying a house isn't that much of a big deal, try not too worry.

If you have any builder friends then always good to get second opinions, but even if small things show up, is it really going to stop you buying the house if it's one you've got your heart set on?

Flinticus 10 Oct 2014

How old is the house? What's its general condition? We moved into our first home and subsequently found issues with the wiring, fittings (oh so cheap curtain rails that soon collapsed with the weight of the curtains), a 1960s bathroom where the toilet flush system again failed (and parts perished).

Is the house detached or does it share a wall with neightbours (are they up partying all night when you need to sleep? or vice-versa: you also don't want to be the unwelcome new neighbour).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...