UKC

Don't tell them Pike!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
> Bill Nighy, Sir Michael Gambon, Toby Jones and Sir Tom Courtenay are among the stars who will appear in a big-screen remake of classic sitcom Dad's Army. Jones will star as Captain Mainwaring, Nighy will appear as Sergeant Wilson and Courtenay will play Corporal Jones. Gambon will fill the role of Private Godfrey and there will also be roles for Catherine Zeta Jones, Sarah Lancashire and Mark Gatiss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29536370

Could be good, though will probably be shite.
andymac 08 Oct 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Nighy is always worth a watch.

Would be good if Gambon could do 'Bad' Godfrey.

" my sister Dolly has spent all afternoon making these fu#king tea cakes.Knock yourselves out.I need a slash."
Post edited at 22:01
 aln 08 Oct 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Can see Nighy doing a great Wilson.

Strange choice for a remake.
 Hat Dude 09 Oct 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

In the TV series; although the characters were made fun of, there was not a doubt that if it had come to the crunch they would've readily gone out to die defending the country.

I think the new film will have to tread very carefully not too appear too knowing and clever
 toad 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hat Dude:
> (In reply to stroppygob)
>
> In the TV series; although the characters were made fun of, there was not a doubt that if it had come to the crunch they would've readily gone out to die defending the country.

I once read a very bleak short story (via b3ta, so lord knows where the link is) imagining just that.

Hat Dude 09 Oct 2014
In reply to toad:

I think one of the good things about Dad's Army was that it managed to subtly convey this; probably the best example is from the episode the thread title is taken from where they do actually come into contact with the enemy.
 felt 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hat Dude:

> readily gone out to die defending the country.

Yes, even Walker
 BnB 09 Oct 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

I pity Toby Jones. How can you compete with perfection?
 Chris the Tall 09 Oct 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Can anyone explain why Dad's Army is repeated so often. I'm not saying it's rubbish, but there is so much other stuff the BBC has done over the years that it doesn't repeat.
 Timmd 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Probably due to it's popularity?
 wintertree 09 Oct 2014

Because 'Allo 'Allo would offend modern political correctness in just about every way imaginable?
 toad 09 Oct 2014
In reply to wintertree:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>
> Because 'Allo 'Allo would offend modern political correctness in just about every way imaginable?

'allo 'allo has been rerunning during the daytime on and off for ages.

It's probably It ain't half hot mum that your thinking of - there's way too much unbroadcastable in that for a modern audience.
 Chris the Tall 09 Oct 2014
In reply to toad:

Anyone remember "Mind your Language"

What annoys me about "allo allo" was that it was a parody of a very moving drama series called "Secret Army". I'd love to see that repeated
 toad 09 Oct 2014

oh lord. Way too much "working from home" when I was writing up - Secret Army (with the very cool end credits through the poplars) has been on relatively recently as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...