UKC

Perfect Groove, Eshaness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RossJ 09 Oct 2014
The Adventure Show on BBC Scotland last night included 7 minute section on an ascent this summer of the classic VS called Perfect Groove at Eshaness.

For a classic VS you wont have to queue on a hot weekend, as there aren't many of them in Shetland. Actually you'll be unlike to meet another climber at all, even though it is only 100m from the car park! The route has still probably only had c.40 ascents to date since it was first climbed back in 2004!

There's a link below to see it. It is a section in episode 3 and runs from 37:20 to 44:35 mins.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04l6zhv
 Andy Moles 09 Oct 2014
In reply to RossJ:

Looks great, and pretty unique. What kind of rock is it, some sort of agglomerate?
 Andy Long 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Andy Moles:

Andesitic pyroclastic breccia.
 Cam Forrest 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Andy Moles:

Apologies for jumping in. I'm pretty sure you're basically right. Volcanoclastic/pyroclastic coarse tuffs and agglomerates, probably trachytic (in other words somewhere between rhyolite and andesite). Age is Middle Old Red Sandstone, about 390 million years. So around 30 million years younger than the Glencoe lavas.

What a place. I had no climbing gear when I was there a few years ago, but Eshaness struck me as having some of the most perfect single pitches anywhere in Britain.

If you want to see what a really wild Atlantic coast can look like, then take a look at this:
http://www.fiddlersbid.com/news/the-biggest-waves-at-eshane.html
OP RossJ 09 Oct 2014
 Cam Forrest 09 Oct 2014
In reply to RossJ:

And what a band, Fiddlers' Bid. Wish they could get together more often so we southerners (i.e. south of Sumburgh) could see more of them. These guys must have been able to hold a fiddle before they could use a spoon.
Andy Gamisou 10 Oct 2014
In reply to RossJ:

Was here in late August with my wife and the climbing looked superb. In fact was most impressed with Shetland as a whole.

BTW: Thanks AndyL for helping us out and kind offer to climb. Hope to be out there again sometime soon better prepated mentally, so maybe we could meet up then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...