UKC

Ruffwear 'Knot-a-Collar' dog collar fisherman knots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si Withington 09 Oct 2014
Okay. So I really like the look of this collar for my new dog. My only concern would be that the fisherman knots slip under load. She doesn't pull much, but it's not a risk I'd want to take.

The challenge is to figure out a way of stopping the knots from slipping, but not so the collar can't ever be taken off.

Thoughts?! Anyone got one of these?

http://www.ruffwear.co.uk/dog-gear/collars/knotacollar-new

Cheers!
 deepstar 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Si Withington:

A bit pricey is'nt it?
 Cheese Monkey 09 Oct 2014

Just make one?
 climbwhenready 09 Oct 2014

The diddly thing at the front looks like the sort of plate you get on tent guys, that shouldn't slip (under moderate loads) - so are the fishermans (fishermen?) just for decoration?
OP Si Withington 09 Oct 2014
In reply to deepstar:

Yeah, I won't be paying that. Don't worry.
In reply to climbwhenready:

They're to adjust the size. Argument is that if you pull on the collar, end-to-end, the knots could slip and make the collar larger (thus looser).

If the dog pulls on the collar most of the tension will probably be taken up by friction in the 'belay plate', not by the knots, and if the dog's pulling hard enough to slide the fishermen's knots it's going to be taking too much pressure to the throat / neck and you need to be thinking of a 'Halti' or a chest harness.

If the dog is long haired I would be worried about the fur getting trapped in the knots or 'belay plate' which could be painful, and in any case I can't see why this design has any advantage over a standard padded tape collar.

My big old labradoodle has one of these collars, excellent quality, as others have intimated, the plate at the front takes the strain. Never experienced slip. Recommended.
 Yanis Nayu 09 Oct 2014

A solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
 jkarran 09 Oct 2014

It looks to me like someone has already taken you up on that challenge and solved the problem, that's what the metal bit with the dog-tag does.

jk

Cool. Thanks

In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> and in any case I can't see why this design has any advantage over a standard padded tape collar.

I just like it.... no other reason. Nuff said. Cheers.
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> If the dog pulls on the collar most of the tension will probably be taken up by friction in the 'belay plate', not by the knots,

Oh yeah. Didn't notice the way it was threaded. Good point, ta.
 marsbar 09 Oct 2014

I was under the impression that you want a dog collar to give way at some point so that if the dog gets caught on something he wouldn't hang himself.
 StuDoig 10 Oct 2014
In reply to marsbar:

Aye, most clasp collars are designed to release after a certain load to prevent the dog being hurt / hung if it snags the collar (a neighbors dog hung it's self by accident years ago - can't imagine the horror of coming home to that!!).

Also they should release if the dog gets snarled up playing - quite a few incidents of dogs getting one half of their jaw through a playmate's collar by accident and while struggling to get free they end up twisting the collar, throttling one dog and breaking the jaw of the other eventually. Horrible.

Release collars are definitely the way for me!

I don't know if this one is designed to slip at a certain load though so perhaps fine in that regard?

Cheers,

Stuart

> I just like it.... no other reason. Nuff said. Cheers.

Classic schoolboy error, ignoring the overarching UKC ethos of grinding utilitarianism at the lowest price. I bet you're one of the fancy dans driving something other than a 10 year old Skoda!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...