UKC

Keeping wellies outside

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wondering if anyone keeps their wellies outside all year round, hanging upside down off a rack or on a stick? Wife is complaining about boots in the kitchen and she does have a point. But do boots kept outside in cold damp conditions fill with snails or get damp inside?

Any of your ingenious ideas for easy access storage solutions for wellies will be gratefully received

Thx
 wintertree 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Do you have a big rubbish bin in the kitchen?
Put it on a little pedestal made of four wooden bars and a plywood top. Put shoes/wellies under the bin on a square of old carpet or matt. Largely out of site, no space required.
In reply to wintertree:

Good idea, but unfortunately won't work in our kitchen, bin is in a pull out drawer
mickeyluv 09 Oct 2014

The family who owns a local livery yard kept having their riding boots stolen from their (open) porch. Eventually found out it was a fox taking them off.
 Toerag 09 Oct 2014

I'd not thought about snails, but you'll get spiders for sure. You could always wodge newspaper in them.
 graeme jackson 09 Oct 2014
In reply to mickeyluv:
> Eventually found out it was a fox taking them off.

samantha or edward?
 Timmd 09 Oct 2014

It seems you can't really keep them outside.

http://www.lrleisure.co.uk/page19.htm
abseil 09 Oct 2014

1. Take wellies.
2. Put in plastic bag.
3. Keep bag indoors.
 althesin 09 Oct 2014

I made a "Welly tree" from old tree branches stuck into a wooden base. Holds 10 wellies, which stay dry, slowly perish in the sunlight and I've not found slugs/snails/spiders inside -might be the smell. My wife reckons it would make a sound business venture.
 GrahamD 09 Oct 2014

Depends what you mean by outside ? mine are outside but under cover. Spiders need evicting now and then !
 jimtitt 09 Oct 2014

Heated winter boot rack, doesn´t everybody have these?
 Bruce Hooker 09 Oct 2014

Two solution, keep your wellies in the garage or keep your wife there. I've never had any problems with snails or slugs on either.
 Neil 09 Oct 2014

Ours live on a home made stand. Take an old broom, cut handle into suitable lengths, drill into a reasonably sized ringed up piece of trunk. and hammer handle lengths in. The head of the broom acts as a nice boot cleaning brush if nailed to the side.

As for wildlife, we've had woodlice, spiders and the odd snail. They get nicely pressed into your socks through the day and come off in the wash!
 The Potato 09 Oct 2014

one of mine is agoraphobic so i keep them both indoors so as not to upset them
 mattsccm 10 Oct 2014
In reply to ow arm:

FFS. Organise the wife. Wellies have to be kept somewhere warm otherwise they give you nasty surprises when you put them on. Outside is damp and nasty. I compromise and keep mine in the enclosed porch but they sneak in to sit by a radiator when they can.
 Timmd 10 Oct 2014
Seems to me things like this are sometimes tolerated by both in a couple, in some kind of equilibrium of 'things which annoy'.

You need to find something of hers' to grumble about*. ()

*Probably not.
Post edited at 23:13
 doz 11 Oct 2014

Why would you want to take them off?? I occasionally shake out any dead animals, lumps of concrete etc...othr than that stay on my feet..great in the shower

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...