UKC

Overrated Gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hyphin 09 Oct 2014
Ok we've had overrated bands etc... but this is meant to be a climbing/outdoor site; so take a deep breath and admit it, what's the most (ideally expensive) useless bit of tat you've ever been persuaded to part with cash for?

Not only will others learn from your mistake, you'll feel better.

Just to add to the fun, did you manage to flog it on here or ebay for nearly full price?
OP Hyphin 09 Oct 2014
In reply to alibaba:

the idea is to tell everyone how overrated the gear is after you've sold it...way to honest to be an entrepreneur
 d_b 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:
The last pair I sold you was overrated, but THIS pair on the other hand...
Post edited at 14:03
 Timmd 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

They're just over specified for him, not over rated.
 Billhook 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

Almost anything which is advertised as; "Used by Bris Connington on Annu Durma" or something similiar.

All it ever meant was he was given it and wore it. Doesnt' mean it was good or anything but did justify the extra trillian quid's cost.
Wiley Coyote2 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:
Fire rock boots - the first ever genuine 'stickies'. They were unlined so you had to buy them several sizes too small and they were agonising, draining all the joy from climbing. Then they stretched and you got a blissful route/ route and half out of them while they fitted perfectly and your grade shot up. Then they stretched until you had to wear thicker and thicker socks, then more and more pairs of thicker and thicker socks until you felt you were climbing in wellies.
Post edited at 14:12
 GridNorth 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

GriGri's. Overpriced, overweight, overly bulky and prone to misuse as they require a significant change in "established" technique to use.

Sit back and wait for the backlash.
OP Hyphin 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

But did you manage to flog them on as "barely used", "just didn't get on with these";

who argues with a jacket/shoes/rucksack, and about what ffs?
 beardy mike 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

BD back packs. Every one I've had has been utter shite. They look pretty on the wall though.
 GrahamD 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

Thats easy. Nalgene Bottles. AKA just a plastic bottle.
 aldo56 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:
Rab Vapour Rise GUIDE. The crucial part here is the "Guide". Being a relative newcomer to climbing / hillwalking world, I purchased one of said jackets, expecting it to be the bees knees, the answer to all my outdoors jacket needs. The free Rab hat Tiso threw in sealed the £125 deal.

It became apparent very quickly that sewing a fleece into a vapour rise jacket is a terrible idea for my sweaty body type. It does away completely with the flexibility a separate fleece and vapour rise jacket gives you, meaning; your either too hot and sweaty due to the fleece then the wind rips right through the thing and your baltic in your own frozen sweat.

I remember donning it on a very wet accent of Ben Lui under a hardshell and being absolutely soaking / miserable for the whole day.

I managed to sell it on here.... and have since bought a vapour rise alpine which is much more flexible and absolutely brilliant!
Post edited at 14:44
 GridNorth 09 Oct 2014
In reply to aldo56:

I have the VR Guide pants. They are good for everything except the thing I bought them for, ice climbing. As soon as my leg touches the ice I get wet. Great fit and OK for walking even in light showers though.
 andrewmc 09 Oct 2014
In reply to aldo56:

Perhaps they would have been better if you were a guide? :P

My understanding is that guides will spend more time standing around waiting for their client and therefore sweating less and wanting warmth more (without repeatedly removing/replacing layers)?
 The Lemming 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

I think that we can end this discussion right here with the following link

http://goo.gl/eBK3gb
 Aigen 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

Metolius mastercams. They consistently get stuck due to small camming angle and if they go near salt water environment they sease up.
 peppermill 09 Oct 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

> GriGri's. Overpriced, overweight, overly bulky and prone to misuse as they require a significant change in "established" technique to use.

> Sit back and wait for the backlash.

Precisely my view until I belayed a 14 stoner in full obsessive redpoint mode with a reverso for several hours.

Now I like Grigris

Most things labelled 'Soft Shell'
 NathanP 09 Oct 2014
In reply to aldo56:

> Rab Vapour Rise GUIDE. ... sewing a fleece into a vapour rise jacket is a terrible idea for my sweaty body type. .... and have since bought a vapour rise alpine which is much more flexible and absolutely brilliant!

I love mine but strictly a winter-only jacket and you need a hard-shell in reserve in case of rain. I agree that it could do with being a bit more windproof though.

Anyway, you have got this whole outdoor gear thing quite wrong. It isn't 'this jacket or that jacket' - it should be 'this jacket and that jacket and maybe those other ones too'.
 GridNorth 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Troy Tempest:

There are alternatives though and IMO they are better in most respects. I have a Mammut Smart which I find much better than the GriGri.
 Sam_in_Leeds 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

Camelbak

Utter crap. They make you carry far more water than you need/a bugger to clean/I've never had a time when I've been so short on time I can't stop and have a drink

Clever marketing tho being able to sell a plastic bag and a tube for £40
In reply to GridNorth:

Your views on the GriGri are identical to mine.
 peppermill 09 Oct 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

Ok, not heard of that one. TBH though I'm far too tight to shell out 70 odd quid for my own and just borrow one off someone else.
 SFM 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds:
Totally agree on the Camelbak. They make the water taste funny and the tube furs up. Gave mine away.

Soft shells with goretex hood and shoulders. Convinced myself that if it was made by Arcteryx then it must be good. Nope. Rain ran off the goretex and soaked the shoftshell. When working hard the goretex parts felt damp and grim. Does look good walking to the pub though.....
Post edited at 21:48
 Otis 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

Camelbacks/platypuses etc. are awesome bits of kit. Top tip: if you think they're difficult to clean or go mouldy then you need to learn to store them in the freezer. They then last forever
 Gazlynn 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

I spent the equivalent of a small family car on some patagonia northwall pants.

I'm too frightened to wear them outside as I know I'm just going to put my crampons right through them so they just sit in the wardrobe Sunday best sort of thing and they will probably never see light of day. I look at them now and again and then put them back on the hanger and reach for the 40 quid decathlon favorites.

Cheers

Gaz
 Pete Houghton 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds:

For hillwalking, skiing, climbing, pretty much everything, camelbaks aren't that great, but they are 100% super duper for trail running.
OP Hyphin 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Otis:

Easily cleaned with a couple of denture cleaning tablets, get rid of bad smell/taste with baking soda and lemon juice, main point though is that Tesco do (or did)a wee daysack with a bladder for about £11. The only problem I had with them (must be to do with the size) is that I've lost two!
OP Hyphin 09 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Is that a vote for "anything by ARC'TERYX", no experience of them but from what I see around the supermarket/school gate doubt I ever will.
 AlanLittle 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Otis:

> Camelbacks/platypuses etc. are awesome bits of kit.

Platypuses are a complete bollocks waste of time and money that burst even in the unlikely event you manage to get them properly closed when full. I bought a hose adapter that fits standard plastic supermarket water bottles: vastly superior in every way.

Patagonia Guide softshell trousers. Too hot except when they're wet, then they're cold, clammy and weigh a ton.
 Tom Last 09 Oct 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:

> Platypuses are a complete bollocks waste of time and money

Agreed utterly crap. Mine split the very first time I took it out which made for a fun day out on the Midi with no water and a wet pack.

They're worse than useless, they're a liability.
 Prof. Outdoors 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:
I know that there are lots of Paramo lovers out there but the Paramo Velez smock was a disaster. Got wet all the time despite cleaning/re-proofing by me and then the factory. Factory said I'd overproofed it!!!!!!! It still leaked when walking a canal tow-path. It also was cold when wet and took ages to dry out.

Now wear it as a soft-shell but would not use in mountains without taking an event jacket to put over the top if it rains.

On the positive side my Paramo windshirt is my constant companion)
Post edited at 23:07
 d_b 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

hexes.
OP Hyphin 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

> I know that there are lots of Paramo lovers out there but the Paramo Velez smock was a disaster.

Weird. Bought a second hand one off ebay a couple of years ago, God knows what vintage, works brilliantly. Can't wait for the weather up here to return to normal so I can get it out again.

Mike Lates 10 Oct 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

> hexes.
Boo, Hiss
BD headtorches have always disappointed.
Gloves are generally a rip off for kit that is useless in UK winter. Wet fingers don't go back in! Dachs all the time for me- pull out a warm dry hand, place gear & replace in warm cosy mitt a couple of seconds later
Gortex shells.

peppermill 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

What is everyone doing with their Camelbaks to destroy them?

I find they last years including long trips where they get absolutely rammed into rucsacs with loads of climbing hardware. I've only had one split at the seam (very top), that was after three years of abuse, I repaired it with finger tape and it limped on for another two weeks of a climbing trip.

Glyno 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

> Agreed utterly crap. Mine split the very first time I took it out which made for a fun day out on the Midi with no water and a wet pack.

> They're worse than useless, they're a liability.

Though I only use it to carry water, mine has gone out with me practically every trip for the last 15 or so years.

Just goes to show.
 Otis 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Troy Tempest:

> What is everyone doing with their Camelbaks to destroy them?

Same comment from me!!! I've had platypuses that last for years. Sure, I've worn one or two out and I expect to wear my current one out some time, but the same can be said for virtually every piece of kit I've owned.

BnB 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

> BD headtorches have always disappointed.

Got my new BD Storm torch out for the first time in anger for the walk down off Gimmer the other day. Switched it on. Then checked again to see if it was actually on. Light was only half that of my buddy's.

Like standing in the shower next to the school rugby captain.
 wilkie14c 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

Sigg bottles.

Great in the days before plastic was invented but in the shadow since. They freeze and split, get dinged and will eventually hole, you worry about tainting them with flavoured drinks, you can't squish them up when empty and you can't piss in them. (well you could but you know what I mean!)

However - in winter, hot blackcurrant or orange, then wrap the bottle in spare gloves/hat etc and you'll have a warm drink 2 or 3 hours later (just after the walk in) that you are much more likely to sup while its still warm and get some fluids in.
So, I guess the jury is out on Siggs!
 Dave 88 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

Gotta disagree about BD head torches. I've got the icon polar and it's quality. It is by far and away their most expensive torch though so that May have something to do with it!
 pebbles 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:
stealth rubber paint. a total bugger to apply, makes a mess of your shoes then comes off within a few uses. fortunately was wary enough to only try it on an old pair
Post edited at 09:17
 KellyKettle 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

Any waterproof "breathable" shell... It's all the same stuff realy and never breathes properly ever!

Helly Lifa thermals, not especially warm, kinda sticky if moist, smell from approx 30 after you first move wearing them... Most synthetic base layers are the same to be entirely fair.
 neuromancer 10 Oct 2014
In reply to KellyKettle:
Helly lifas are a lot better than any other synthethic thermal, and merino thermals just don't dry fast enough.

I have no idea how anyone is breaking a camelbak - I mountain bike with one and have taken multiple over the bars crashes on downhill black runs, landing on my back with the camelbak saving my spine and they've never even threatened to break.

Another vote for Paramo. I had a velez adventure and it was too hot for anything but walking in the flat and not waterproof enough to keep me wet in a proper downpour. Felt like a crap vapour rise.

On the other hand, actual non-membrane softshells are perfect for what they are intended for - dry cold snow and wind.
Post edited at 10:32
 KellyKettle 10 Oct 2014
In reply to neuromancer:

> Helly lifas are a lot better than any other synthethic thermal, and merino thermals just don't dry fast enough.

Immersion Research Thick Skin and Polar Skin thermals are far superior, being a warm when wet stretch micropile (made from recycled plastic and bamboo fibres) as are Elephant Wear P-Skin thermals which are similar but thicker and perhaps a bit less stretchy, both only fair slightly better on smell though.
 Robert Durran 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

Agree with Grigris, Camelback type things and Merino stuff.
 Timmd 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:
I've found merino seems to work better as part of a system which has something absorbent worn over it, either wool or fluffy synthetic which can draw the moisture out of the merino base layer, with body heat helping it to.

The best I've used one with is a Howies Waffle mid layer, I've got home feeling sticky and damp, and then instead of sitting and cooling off I've felt the moisture move through into my Waffle layer, though anything sufficiently fluffy/woolly might do.

I can see they're not the best if you're just wearing your mid layer, then you can risk getting colder when you stop.
Post edited at 18:27
 ewar woowar 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

Not bought these,
http://arcteryx.com/ProductFind.aspx?language=EN&category=Accessories&a...

But if I was in the market for a pair, these are closer to my price range!
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/colour-concept-knee-pad-104656

Timmd 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Not sticky and damp, just damp.
 FreshSlate 11 Oct 2014
In reply to BnB:

What headtorch did your mate have?
 The New NickB 11 Oct 2014
In reply to neuromancer:

> Helly lifas are a lot better than any other synthethic thermal.

No they are not. They are nothing special, better than some, not as good as others, but it is generally pretty marginal.

The New NickB 11 Oct 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Sigg bottles.

Surely nobody actually rates Sigg bottles, so they cannot be overrated.
needvert 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

Yeah...Merino seems over rated as a base layer. Polypropylene, specifically mesh, I like a lot more. I don't miss the damp feeling at all!

Shunt is one overrated solo tr device that I'm glad I never bought after handling a friends.
 BnB 11 Oct 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:
A Petzl of some sort. But he professed to the same feelings of inadequacy stood next to his pal with a torch by LED Lenser. My selection came down to Lumens vs battery life and I may have learnt too far one way.
Post edited at 08:13
 KellyKettle 11 Oct 2014
In reply to needvert:

> Shunt is one overrated solo tr device that I'm glad I never bought after handling a friends.

It would be hard not to be overrated given that they're not actually designed as a solo device at all... The shunt is exceptionally good as a rope clamp and abseil backup, as a solo device they work but have some really dangerous failure modes.
 FreshSlate 11 Oct 2014
In reply to BnB:
The only Petzl's that will be blowing a new BD storm away will be the rechargeable ones such as the RXP, and Nao. These are more expensive. A similar one would be the Tikka XP, which is the same power, for a fiver cheaper whilst trading blows with features. The Storm is a good torch, but will be outmuscled by more expensive models. I think BD needs to give us something other than the ICON in the higher output ranges though.
Post edited at 14:46
 Dave Cundy 12 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

A Petzl Ti-bloc. It looked excellent until I tried it on the local climbing wall (Bristol Grammar School). I quickly discovered that it was an excellent rope shredder, unless you were VERY VERY careful when putting you weight onto it.

Would have been morally wrong to try and sell it, so it went to the only acceptable place - the bin!
 Aigen 12 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin: Gold Camalot
 Andypeak 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Hyphin:

Those Water-to-Go filtering bottles. The filter is amazing but the bottle which it fits into is cheap rubbish. Leaks out of every possible place (on my second lid now and still leaking) which is annoying with a normal bottle but really not good when the water which is leaking is dirty. Best case you get kit made wet with dirty water, worst case you end up drinking the dirrty water and get sick.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...