UKC

Best camera under £300

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CHarrison 09 Oct 2014
Okay so the budget is probably flexible...

I'll start by saying I know absolutely nothing about photography but love taking photos on my (handily waterproof) galexy s5 smartphone.

Everybody allways comments on how good the phones camera is but it's obviously got nothing on a dedicated unit.

I figure a budget compact camera will be no better than my phone?
What are my options for a camera mainly for general outdoor use;climbing, hiking maybe some winter mountaineering etc.
Are compacts good enough or do I need an slr? (All I know is slrs are the big ones &#128550
 Tom Valentine 09 Oct 2014
In reply to SomeClimbingGuy:

A £300 compact is not actually "budget" .
 Trevers 09 Oct 2014

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/sony/cyber-shot-dsc...

This one. Really excellent image quality with RAW and manual focus. You can probably shop around and find it cheaper. Bear in mind that's the Mark I version, but I'm not sure what extra the Mark II and III offer
OP CHarrison 09 Oct 2014

I thought I replied but it didn't send. I'm just after some advice really as to what makes a good camera (or would I be better off just asking for people to recommend a specific model to order then go mad pointing and clicking before deciding I should fiddle with some settings only managing to make everything worse so I go back to pointing and clicking?)
 Ciro 09 Oct 2014

For the sort of money you're talking about, if you're interested in getting into photography and you want decent quality pictures and a lot of flexibility, you could take a look at "bridge" or "super-zoom" cameras. Big units that look like a DSLR but with a fixed lens and electronic viewfinder.

I have a fujipix one that I bought to see if I'd get serious enough about taking proper pictures to invest in a DSLR - I never did upgrade and whilst the smallish sensor means it doesn't cope so well with challenging conditions, it does take pretty nice shots in favourable conditions and I believe the latest incarnations feature quite a few improvements.

The downside of course is that taking a picture is a lot more hassle than whipping a compact out of your front breast pocket, and so it rarely comes up the rock with me.

For that, I have a cheapish pentax ruggedised camera - it takes fairly crap shots in all but the most favourable conditions, but it came on a decent lanyard with it's own little biner, and it's fully waterproof meaning I can even take it deep water soloing.
 Dan Arkle 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Ciro:

Decide on your priorities. Size, picture quality, zoom ability, price. Every camera is a compromise.

I'd reccomend a sony rx100 (£150 second hand), small and great picture quality especially in low light due to the large sensor (for a compact).
OP CHarrison 09 Oct 2014

£300 is the upper end of the budget, something half the price that does the job would be better haha.

I am not sure I want to get into photography, more just give my outdoor snaps a bit more detail and try to do the beautiful areas I visit a bit more justice.

I think probably a compact is the way forward as an slr may end up at the bottom of my rucksack on day trips without me bothering to pull it out
 Trevers 09 Oct 2014

I think the RX100 is what you're after. It's small enough to fit in your pocket (or dangle from a harness in a solid case). It's easy enough to use to be a point and shoot but if you want to learn a bit more, it's got some deeper functions. Shameless plug but a lot of the recent photos in my album were taken with one (plus editing in Lightroom)
 The Potato 09 Oct 2014

a bridge camera or similar would be good and probably look at getting a 2nd hand one from a camera shop like jessops wexphotographic etc.

As mentioned 300 for a compact is going to get you something pretty good.
 Robert Durran 09 Oct 2014

Another vote for the RX100. Truly compact, excellent picture quality and doea most things an SLR would do (though only a fixed zoom lens).
OP CHarrison 09 Oct 2014

Looks like km after an RX100 (and yes trevers I will check your album)

Cheers guys, expect blury out of focus images of mediocre climbing shortly
 icnoble 10 Oct 2014

I think for that sort of money, perhaps a little bit more have a look at a second hand Fuji XE 1 + the 18-55 lens
 Robert Durran 13 Oct 2014
In reply to icnoble:

> I think for that sort of money, perhaps a little bit more have a look at a second hand Fuji XE 1 + the 18-55 lens

I climb with my RX100, but wouldn't with my XE-1, which is substantially bulkier and heavier. I got an RX100 so that my climbing photos wouldn't look poor alongside those from the XE-1!
 d_b 13 Oct 2014

I just bought a Panasonic LX-7 for less than £300. It has a good lens, reasonable sensor and isn't too big. Best for me pretty much, but as others have said it's a tradeoff.
 malk 14 Oct 2014

gotta be the sony a5000 for £270?
i can't get this comparison- why pay more for less?
http://snapsort.com/compare/Sony-Alpha-A5000-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-I...
 Bruce Hooker 14 Oct 2014

If you want to take photos when climbing, in sunny conditions and in snow then make sure it has a viewfinder, the screens on the back of most compacts are absolutely useless, you can't see anything in bright conditions. Nowadays this means going for what they call a bridge camera. As far as I know the last compacts with view finders were Canons and I don't think they make them any more. I've got a Panasonic bridge which is pretty good, it doesn't have a huge sensor but the quality is still pretty good and it's in your budget.

On the other hand a compact is so compact that you will take it with you everywhere in your pocket and probably take more pictures - the best quality camera in the world is no good if you haven't got it with you.

If you can try other people's cameras it will make all these suggestions more concrete.
 JimboWizbo 14 Oct 2014

I can vouch for the RX100, have plenty of pictures if you want any examples
OP CHarrison 14 Oct 2014

Thanks for all the advice guys. Ended up buying a tz55 which came up at a bargain price. I have used it now for two day trips out bouldering and am reasonably happy with it. 20x zoom and reasonable quality.

If I find I enjoy taking photos and look to get a bit more serious about it then I will be back for more advice to ignore haha 😇

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...