UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Abella de la Conca

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 10 Oct 2014
Nic Durand on a route named after the eldest of his two young sons Illian  tu vas Tomber (6c) on the fantastic sector Voltor., 4 kbAbella de la Conca — a tiny but splendidly situated village in the Lleida pre-Pyrenees in Catalunya, Northeast Spain.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=6721
 petemeads 10 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC Articles:

Great pictures Pete, nice article, very tempting destination. Maybe after I get my hip replacement...
 Morgan Woods 10 Oct 2014
I did a few trips with Oli and G back in the day and we NEVER went here!

Good to hear Nic's efforts are being appreciated.

Post edited at 11:33
 Wft 10 Oct 2014

Early this year we spent a day here, as the road winds higher and higher we became level with and within touching distance of huge vultures riding the thermals. Breathtaking.
 Alun 10 Oct 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

I spent a couple of days in Abella earlier this year.

The good things about the place are the stunning location, Nic's fantastic refuge (and warm welcome) and sheer volume of rock (climbed and unclimbed) around.

The only downside is that the climbing, while very good in parts, is quite spread out and a little bit 'bitty'. Abella is no Siurana or Rodellar.

It is well worth a visit though.
 Pete O'Donovan 10 Oct 2014
In reply to petemeads:

Hi Pete,

Good to hear you're still in the land of the living!

As Alun says, Abella is not quite up there with the likes of Siurana and Rodellar, but then few places are...

Yep — get your hip done and go there. Give us a shout and I'll join you.

Pete.
 matt perks 10 Oct 2014

Is there much in the very low grades i.e. below 5, suitable for kids?

Thanks
 Pete O'Donovan 11 Oct 2014
In reply to matt perks:

As with many limestone sport-climbing areas routes below grade 5 are not that common in Abella, but there are a few.

Once you get into the 5-6a range there are many more choices.

Nic Durand is constantly equipping new stuff so it may be that there's a lot more in the grade-range you're asking about than I'm aware of. Drop him a line at abellaclimb.com and I'm sure he'll be happy to advise you.

Pete.
 LeeWood 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Pete O'Donovan:

I've heard Nic speak of prepping a grade 4 sector - problem is the easier climbing needs the most cleaning up.

Good article and photos thanks. Grateful for the route reccomendation - I can already vouch for the quality of Honey Badger but still waiting for Caçadores.

Some other route swhich I have appreiated include : Dit i Fret 6c (Congost), Poc a Poc 6c+ (Voltor), Marpa 6b+ (Iglesia), Through Thin and Thick 7a (Arches), Meteorito LH 6b+ (Costera N) and Brac de Gitano 6a (+ ?) at the new sector Gypsy Camp.

As Alan says the good routes can be a bit spread out - but that depends what grade you want to climb at. As a package a trip to Abella has never failed me for interest and satisfaction; there is no other such accomodation (Lleida) where you can mix and interact with climbers from all parts of europe.

NB. I have now updated the UKC log page so all those route recommendations can go live-link. Pre-School however is a mistake - should be Pre-Skool.
 donie 15 Oct 2014

Well put together Pete.On the list now.Loved the video too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...