UKC

University personal statment (medicine)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 11 Oct 2014
I'm applying as a graduate to med school and was hoping someone might be able to give my personal statement a proof read. Ideally someone in medicine or better yet who works on an admissions board. However, i will happily and gratefully settle for anyone who can spare the time

Please send me an email if you are willing to help and ill send a copy. I dont want to post it here to avoid plagiarism. Although it's unlikely to be application gold...

thanks in advance!
Tim Chappell 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Kemics:
Call me a grammar Nazi--actually I am trying to help here--but being a doctor is all about attention to detail, yes?

Statment/ statement, ill/ I'll, i/ I...

Admissions panels are confronted by a problem--they have hundreds of applications so they need a quick way to whittle down the pile of paper in front of them.

Don't you think that whizzing out the non-spellers might be their very first move?

The answer to that is Yes. Take it from me. I sit on admissions panels.

To repeat--this isn't meant to be nasty, or a putdown. I am trying to help you. Honest.
Post edited at 20:11
 Jon Stewart 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

> Call me a grammar Nazi-

You're a grammar Nazi.

> Don't you think that whizzing out the non-spellers might be their very first move?

Fair comment if it was about his PS. Not relevant to his post.

> The answer to that is Yes.

Why the capitalisation of 'Yes'?
In reply to Kemics:
Perhaps a little left-field, as I'm only a vet, but I have experience of teaching clinical students and have sat on HE admissions panels (or, more accurately, *been* the admissions panel).

I'd be happy to proof-read for you and to cut out the inevitable waffle (sorry, but all applicants do this). Admissions bods tend to do the first cut on those applications they find difficult to wade through; spelling can be one of the factors (and I'm very pedantous about grammer), but filler can be equally irritating.

Email me a copy if you wish; I'm a grown-up outside of UKC, so would take the task seriously. I'd send you a message, but this facility hasn't been working for me for some time.

Martin

Edited to add: nice profile pic - I'll send you my version
Post edited at 20:29
 jepotherepo 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Kemics:

A rather random place to look to for advice on a personal statement for a medical application....
Im not going to offer to read your personal statement.
However, I will offer some advice.

Follow the guidance they offer - I presume there is a person specification.

Make a plan detailing attributes you possess that make you suitable to be a doctor.

Give details of what you have done to prove you understand what the career involves (ie work experience).

Explain how you have reflected on the experiences and what you have done to further your knowledge - shows an adult approach to lifelong learning etc
You need to make it clear what it is about medicine you are attracted by.
As a graduate entrant youll need to explain why you didnt apply to do medicine as a first degree, what you have done and how it will be of benefit as a medical student and then as a doctor.

Your extracurricular activites (ie climbing) must be used to show you are a rounded inividual. Climbing/mountaineering allows you to display lots of personal attibutes that make you suitable for medicine.

Make sure the word count is correct and there arent any spelling mistakes. Make sure it is well spaced and easy to read. And dont put anything down that youll be tripped up by in the interview (dont bullshti). Probity is something they take very seriously.

Good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...