UKC

Hoka!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Run_Ross_Run 12 Oct 2014
I'm in.

Training starts November this time and fingers crossed no broken bones.

Cant wait!!!!

steelbru 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:
I assume you mean the Highland Fling ?

I'm a bit uncomfortable about the numbers. Last year 600 entries, this year 1000 - ok, there will be the usual 15% or so of drop-outs ( and no reserve list ), but even if its 800-850 ( plus 50 relay teams ), then that's an awful lot of people for a route that is single-track in bits.

After Rowardennan or so, it will have spread out, but I really pity anyone out for what they think will be a nice quiet walk in the countryside on the bottom section.

Unless of course it goes back to staggered start which it used to, but was done away with last year ( apart from relay which was an hour later ).

Did you do it last year, how did the 600 spread out ?

OP Run_Ross_Run 13 Oct 2014
In reply to steelbru:

Did it in 2013, entered 2014 but it was a DNS with a broken toe sustained in training. I think there was 600 starters in 13 and it seem to be ok. I came in just over 11hrs, the only 'congestion' i remember was the last part of the path along the north end of the loch but by then i was too knackered to overtake anyway.

Agree about the other walkers, most of the people we passed didn't mind and they were always thanked. I've read stories about walkers being shouted at to move out of the way but i never experienced it.

J Brown 08 Dec 2014
In reply to steelbru:

I did the race in 2011 (split start) and last year (mass start). I thought that it was fine in 2013. The field spread out relatively quickly, even after 3 / 4 miles. Agree with Ross that the only congestion I found was towards the top of the Loch. But yes, it's a large crowd. You make a good point re other users, but I guess it's just for a day.

The (up to) 1000 entrants does seem to be at the upper limit I'd guess. It will be interesting to compare how it feels running in 2015 compared to 2011/13.

I missed out on the ballot for the WHW Race today - gutted!
 Banned User 77 13 Dec 2014
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

yeah it must be a staggered start surely? or a separate elite race at least..

1000 is a lot for that sort of race..
 steelbru 14 Dec 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Looks like it's not a staggered start, apart from the relay runners. From the website :
6am start for all ultra runners
7am start for relay runners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...