UKC

Smilies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 12 Oct 2014
I am feeling out of touch with modern symbols.

I have got as far as working out that is a smiley. is a grumpy/sad face.

What does "J" mean, in an email? - it seems to be a symbol for a face, or a thought, but what?

Puzzled and old-fashioned...
L
 Yanis Nayu 12 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I don't understand the ones you type, but the ones on Skype are brilliant! I have conversations with Russian friends sometimes, where I learn no Russian and they learn no English because we're using too many smilies.
 Yanis Nayu 12 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emoticons

This suggests the J means tongue-in-cheek.
 Bob 12 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

The "j" is apparently Outhouse auto-correcting the smiley. I keep getting them from my wife and it really confused me at first, eventually I had to ask her
OP BusyLizzie 12 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Aha - tongue-in-cheek OR an auto-correct of a smiley - and that explains why it clearly means different things from different people.

Thank you all. I don't have an emoticon for "I feel better now", so will just have to say so instead.
L xxx
 doz 13 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I know just how you feel..there was me thinking i'd just about got to grips with modernity and now i'm going to have to spend months learning which tiny picture at the top of the page refers to which forum...needed to find my monocle this morning just to focus on them (
 tlm 13 Oct 2014
In reply to doz:

> i'm going to have to spend months learning which tiny picture at the top of the page refers to which forum...needed to find my monocle this morning just to focus on them (

You can just hover your mouse over them and then they tell you... (I'm not sure about touch screens)

OP BusyLizzie 13 Oct 2014
In reply to doz:

Oh my goodness a new layout. This is going to be a challenge...
 doz 14 Oct 2014
In reply to tlm:

> You can just hover your mouse over them and then they tell you...

Wow! A lot to take in there...who will tell me? And what?
Is dead mouse ok..cats bring in several a day....and do I just hold it by the tail??
Knew I hadn't got to grips with my ipad.....
How do you know all this stuff??
 wilkie14c 14 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:
I like this one

(.)(.)

OP BusyLizzie 14 Oct 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Made me laugh!
 wilkie14c 14 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Like this:

:-D

Seems like you are getting the jist of it now!
OP BusyLizzie 14 Oct 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

:-D

(this thread has left me feeling ten years younger)
 Toerag 14 Oct 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:
J in an email is a normal smiley that MS Word or similar turned into a proper smiley face icon. The receiving email program can't cope with the smiley symbol and turns it into a J.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...