UKC

Whisky watch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dr.S at work 12 Oct 2014
Waitrose - Aberlour A'Bunadh cask strength (60.7%)

About £33, very nice.
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Surgical spirit, about 70%.

Free from work and probably not any nastier.....

Martin
 Cobbler 13 Oct 2014
In reply to maisie:

Dad and I tried an Indian whisky (Bagpiper) last night. We couldn't
quite pin down the "flavour" till my non-whisky drinking sister was
bullied into tasting it. "Surgical spirit" was her instant response...
...which led to intense questioning of her drinking habits!

Kimono 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Cobbler:
Once you have been in India for a coupla months, a 'peg' of Bagpiper is not a bad thing.
But if never dream of drinking it here!
 Philip 13 Oct 2014

> Waitrose - Aberlour A'Bunadh cask strength (60.7%)

> About £33, very nice.

Actually it's £33.50 and Ocado have it too, if you're too lazy or too far from a Waitrose.
 philipivan 13 Oct 2014

When I was in Nepal many years ago there was a giant billboard in Kathmandu. Bagpiper whiskey - a friend in hard times. A great slogan.
 Kimono 13 Oct 2014

Slightly OT:

Anyone got any views on Talisker Storm? I like the regular Talisker and wonder if this brings anything new to the table
 RomTheBear 13 Oct 2014

That's me off to the waitrose as we speak ;-P
 RomTheBear 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Kimono:

> Slightly OT:

> Anyone got any views on Talisker Storm? I like the regular Talisker and wonder if this brings anything new to the table

Talisker Storm is the bomb. They really nailed it IMHO. It's basically everything you like about Talisker but with extra smoky/salty punch
 Bulls Crack 13 Oct 2014
In reply to RomTheBear:

If you want a refined smoke n salt then I can recommend the Port Askaig 12 year old Islay. And, if anyone's in the area, Wrights Wines of Skipton is the business for all things spirit world: http://www.wineandwhisky.co.uk/
 Kimono 13 Oct 2014
In reply to RomTheBear:
Music to my ears....shall be looking out for that!

Other ne s....Jura Superstition is 26£ in Sainsburys.
However, I think the elixir is much better imo

Darron 13 Oct 2014
In reply to philipivan:

I remember seeing the same on the side of a wagon in Kathmandu. In the context of a very poor country I found it a bit sad.
 Philip 13 Oct 2014
In reply to RomTheBear:

> Talisker Storm is the bomb. They really nailed it IMHO. It's basically everything you like about Talisker but with extra smoky/salty punch

The best Talisker I ever tasted:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4852.aspx

But it was only £100 a bottle when I had it.

I thought this was going to be about a watch that reminded you it was time for a wee dram...
 Andy Clarke 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Philip:

Came back with a bottle of the latest 25 year old Talisker (2011) after sampling it on a tasting tour during a climbing trip to Skye earlier this year. Superb. Unfortunately no longer £100 a bottle, but couldn't resist (and anyway, it was my birthday). But for me the best whisky I've ever drunk is The Macallan Anniversary 25 year old. Still have about half a bottle left... which at current prices appears to be about £800 worth. Crikey. But I can't get my head around how anyone who possesses a bottle of this olympian spirit could keep it unopened long enough to sell it!
 Kimono 13 Oct 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I thought this was going to be about a watch that reminded you it was time for a wee dram...

here you go Captain:

http://goodward.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/satresample-3-finally-in-productio...
OP Dr.S at work 13 Oct 2014
In reply to maisie:

> Surgical spirit, about 70%.

> Free from work and probably not any nastier.....

> Martin

Martin - if you want to get into Scottish Winter then you need to learn to love a wee dram....

My godson is coming over to Aus in a couple of months, he's promised to bring me over, (between him and his partner,) the maximum duty free allowance of Scotch. These recommendations are great, thanks.

The price of good Scotch in Aus is ruinous.

Balvenie Signature 12 yr - very enjoyable for if you can find it

> Martin - if you want to get into Scottish Winter then you need to learn to love a wee dram....

I didn't say I wouldn't drink it.....

But I'll bring some meths for drinking pleasure.
 nathan79 14 Oct 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> Balvenie Signature 12 yr - very enjoyable for if you can find it

My favourite Balvenie and a contender for my favourite 12yo. I believe it's now discontinued so grab a bottle if you find it, I've only got half a bottle left so will be snapping one up the next time I see it.
I've got a bottle of what I think is it's replacement, 12yo Single Barrel, but I haven't cracked it open yet.
Removed User 14 Oct 2014
In reply to maisie:
Methylated spirit has, unsurprisingly, got methanol in it. Don't drink it, kids
In reply to Removed User:

I think this is maybe why I still work in mixed practice...
OP Dr.S at work 15 Oct 2014
In reply to maisie:

> I think this is maybe why I still work in mixed practice...
because you drink meths?
 Wicamoi 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Kimono:

I thought Talisker Storm a poor, insipid cousin of Talisker - I am surprised enough by Rom's wholehearted approval to give it another try.

> because you drink meths?

Because I keep getting *caught* drinking meths. Although to be fair, it's stuff like tonight's protracted horse colic which drives me to it.

Port is what I go at when the meths runs out....

Martin
 Siward 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Wicamoi:

Best value Talisker IMHO is the 18 year old which is truly a marvellous dram. About £70-80.
 Toccata 15 Oct 2014

Thanks, just picked up a bottle (A' Bunadh). Completely OTT dram but great fireside drinking. Batch 47 - pity there has been such variation. Some have been superb (1 and 7 spring to mind) but I've had some nondescript ones too.
 Offwidth 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I got my Nikka pure malt from there. Great shop. Having a place you can talk through what you like, saves money in the ling run (despite slightly higher bottle prices) as any taste experiments are better refined (fewer expensive disappointments) plus you get to drink better whiskey on average and talk to experts.
 Bulls Crack 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Best to have a driver though!
 Dan Arkle 16 Oct 2014

I've gone ahead and got a bottle of that Aberlour.
Thanks for the reccomendation, it's lovely interesting stuff.
 cander 16 Oct 2014

Can I just point you all to the Lakes distillery at Setmurthy - it's nothing to do with me I'm just excited that a new business is starting up in Cumbria - I've not tried the booze yet and am hopefull it isn't gagging - They've only got the blend on sale at present and are in the process of making the malt (available 2017) but I'll report back once I've had a gargle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...