UKC

Could the likes & dislikes become personal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 13 Oct 2014

In an 'Oh look it's them again' sense, with people disliking because of who has written something.

Sometimes the seemingly more unpopular people can have others surprised to find they're in agreement with them, but with people having different thickness of skin, the dislikes could put some people off.

In political discussions, this could perhaps lead to a bias towards one kind of viewpoint, if the majority dislike viewpoints of a particular kind.

It's always struck me as a good thing that people have to debate/articulate a point of view, it can be interesting.

I realise this might not happen....
Post edited at 02:48
In reply to Timmd:

You'll be able to turn them on/off in the user options but it's not there at the mo. The amount of Likes/Dislikes on a post isn't visible on the frontend at the moment anyway.
 Morgan Woods 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Timmd:

I was going to dislike your post....but I agree :p
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

What happens if you don't like you're own posts, can you dislike yourself? It seems a bit pointless really what about if you neither like or dislike. Where's the indifference button?

In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:
Ah I see, it isn't possible to rate ones own postings, it seems like a dumming down of the forum as people no longer have to reply to take part just click a button possibly for genuine reasons or perhaps for some bias they have. So to that end does the feedback get displayed on users profile as in likes: 0, dislikes: 666

?
Post edited at 06:50
 Simon4 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Well obviously the sneering, authoritarian, intolerant, conformist left will use it as a tool to enforce their orthodoxy and groupthink. Imagine how they would have employed it on say discussions about UKIP. Which does not matter very much to the health of the site, as the sort of opinions on matters like that are entirely predictable and it is hardly necessary to read them, nor would most people expect their opinions to be in any way altered by such a thread.

What is much worse is that this ridiculous piece of facebook juvenilia seems to be applied to the useful bits of the site, such as Expedition and Alpine. I normally try to help inquiries there, even if they seem naive or silly, responding in a constructive way - if I know anything about the relevant route or preparation question (how much use my advice is may be a matter of opinion). If "likes and dislikes" start to be applied and visible there, I would be much more chary of doing so.

So apply it to the trivial bits of the site if you feel you must, please keep it well away from the bits that actually matter to climbers, the bits about climbing.
 Bob Hughes 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Simon4:

> Well obviously the sneering, authoritarian, intolerant, conformist left will use it as a tool to enforce their orthodoxy and groupthink. Imagine how they would have employed it on say discussions about UKIP. Which does not matter very much to the health of the site, as the sort of opinions on matters like that are entirely predictable and it is hardly necessary to read them, nor would most people expect their opinions to be in any way altered by such a thread.

I'm not sure about this new feature which allows a poster to repeat the same boilerplate text on every post regardless of the topic.
KevinD 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Bob Hughes:

> I'm not sure about this new feature which allows a poster to repeat the same boilerplate text on every post regardless of the topic.

I think its a special version of the pomo essay generator.
http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/pomo/
 Alyson 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Bob Hughes:

> I'm not sure about this new feature which allows a poster to repeat the same boilerplate text on every post regardless of the topic.

I'm similarly disappointed with that feature. Sometimes I think I've accidentally re-clicked on the thread I've just read. Confusing.
 ericinbristol 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Timmd:

If they stick with the current usage, we won't see the likdes/dislikes

Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:
> It's only function is to help the moderators at the moment, it won't have any visual effect on the Forums. Lots of Dislikes will trigger a notification to the mods.

Babika 13 Oct 2014
In reply to ericinbristol:

>Its only function is to help the moderators at the moment

that's a bit too Big Brother for my liking

I agree with Simon 4 that it feels like a dumbing down but hey ho, I'm well past 15 so what do I know
 jkarran 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Simon4:

> Well obviously the sneering, authoritarian, intolerant, conformist left will use it as a tool to enforce their orthodoxy and groupthink.

LOL

Seriously? Do you read these back before posting them or does it all just spill out?
jk
 Bruce Hooker 13 Oct 2014
In reply to jkarran:

> LOL

> Seriously? Do you read these back before posting them or does it all just spill out?

He has the equivalent of like and dislike on his PC for posting, except it includes, "really dislike", "dislike a lot" and "OUUU that makes me sick". Clicking on one of these sets off a post with the appropriate paragraph. This one was the "dislike a lot" button I think. I'm still waiting for the "like", "like a lot", or "just love it to bits" buttons to be used... fairly rare by the look of it.

Jon Stewart 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Simon4:

> Well obviously the sneering, authoritarian, intolerant, conformist left will use it as a tool to enforce their orthodoxy and groupthink.

a cry for help?
In reply to dissonance:

> I think its a special version of the pomo essay generator.

I thought, with the new skinny font, that 'pomo' read as something else... rn = m
Clauso 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Timmd:

I've disliked your OP and reported you for abuse, for good measure... And if you try to reply, to this post of mine, then I'll dislike your reply too.
 Alyson 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Clauso:

I have liked and disliked your post in order to register my wholehearted ambivalence.
Clauso 13 Oct 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I thought, with the new skinny font, that 'pomo' read as something else... rn = m

Alyson, I hold you in such utter contempt that I won't do you the courtesy of replying to your post.
 Brass Nipples 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Timmd:

If you have anger management issues you can dislike to your hearts content and only you will see it on front end. No need to go made on unthinking replies...
 Alyson 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Clauso:

Happily I have discovered I can retrospectively dislike your old posts and shall be doing so until I crash a server. Why only a moment ago I disliked something you said last Thursday.
In reply to Orgsm:

> If you have anger management issues you can dislike to your hearts content and only you will see it on front end. No need to go made on unthinking replies...

I think it's an on running sting operation, They'll build up lots of data big brother style and then one day you'll log on and it will show the kings and queens of negatively, and the fluff master generals. I'm taking the high moral ground and not using the retrograde development.
 pec 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Timmd:

These pointless buttons were added and dropped a few years ago, why do they think we want them back now?
 The New NickB 14 Oct 2014
In reply to pec:

Partly because people have asked for them. Mainly to help them moderate the site, it seems.
Clauso 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I've created a profile for you on the Guardian website, so that I can dislike you on there too.
andymac 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Oops

I pressed dislike by mistake.

Nothing personal.

Feel free to do likewise
andyathome 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Could the likes & dislikes become personal?

Oh, yes!
 John_Hat 14 Oct 2014
In reply to andyathome:

> Could the likes & dislikes become personal?

Well we've never had loads of people ganging up on one poster on UKC before.....

Erm...
valjean 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Timmd:

likes and dislikes on this forum?? what are we high school kids?
In reply to valjean:

It's more or less exactly the same childish idea as democratic-'politics'-by-referendum.

Alyson 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Timmd:

> Could the likes & dislikes become personal?

In answer to your OP, I think not. We're all too mature and sensible for that. It's mere concidence that I've happened to dislike all of Darren Jackson's posts and am petitioning facebook for a dislike button so I can register my feelings there too.
Clauso 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I spotted your latest missive days ago, but decided to let it lie fallow for a while before replying and disliking you again, in full knowledge that you'll likely never see my riposte... THAT ought to give you some idea of just how much I dislike you!

P.S. I've copied your profile photo and used it to line the area where my hamster urinates in his cage.
 d_b 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Of course it will. That's what they are for.

Makes a change from going over to someones gallery and voting all their pictures down I suppose, which I have seen happen.
 Alyson 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Clauso:

Mmm, patience and perseverance: two of my favourite traits... in anyone not called Darren.

I've not been idle. I've written some code which auto-dislikes you while I'm busy elsewhere. For example, last night I disliked you 8 times while I was asleep.
Clauso 23 Oct 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I've randomly replied on another thread entirely, to register my dislike for you, safe in the knowledge that you'll likely never track it down and I'll win.

P.S. Artichokes. Three for a pound in Tesco.
Removed User 23 Oct 2014
In reply to Clauso:

> In reply to Alyson:

> I've randomly replied on another thread entirely, to register my dislike for you, safe in the knowledge that you'll likely never track it down and I'll win.

Oughtn't you two just get a room?
 Alyson 23 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

No need for that, we just meet at Wickes every other Tuesday and throw lumber at each other like our forefathers did.
 winhill 23 Oct 2014
In reply to Alyson:

> No need for that, we just meet at Wickes every other Tuesday and throw lumber at each other like our forefathers did.

Plank's Constant?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...