UKC

Dark skys Nortumberland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 13 Oct 2014
Was thinking of trying to get some shots of the Milky Way up here in Northumberland. Know you can see it from the Simonside ridge but was wondering if you could get views if it with a crag or hills in the same shot a other locations was thinking maybe Corby with either Coe crag or The Cheviot in the shot or Shaftoe, has anybody got any locations of where it will be dark enough to get the kind of shot im after.
 Alex the Alex 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Russell Lovett:

Iv'e not really got any knowledge of Northumberland, or night sky pics.. buuut I always thought HenHole looked really interesting, and it looks pretty far out so would likely be dark as. Uhhh, probably not very helpful... Henhole Crags
In reply to Alex the Alex:
Cheers for the surgestion but Henhole might be a bit of a long drive followed by a long walkin from Newcastle also not sure if you would be able to get the crag silloweted (spelling) on the horizon at this location aswell as geting the Milky Way in. But for sure it woulg be dark enough.
 graeme jackson 13 Oct 2014

Great Wanney. Not too far from newcastle and not too far from the road once you get there.
Corby's crag - probably the shortest walk-in in the county.
 graeme jackson 13 Oct 2014

and you could also head along to once brewed and take some shots of the tree in sycamore gap on hadrians wall
 spenser 13 Oct 2014
In reply to graeme jackson:

I think you're neglecting Bowden Doors there, that's the shortest walk in I've ever done with the exception of Castle Inn Quarry!
The areas around Middle Hill, or Murder Clough may be a good bet, provided that there are clear skies, I haven't got a map of the area so can't give a grid reference unfortunately. Both pretty close to the road, minimal light pollution from what I remember too and you would be able to get windy gyle/ cheviot in the shot depending where you are standing.
In reply to graeme jackson: anyone know if you can see the milky way from Corby ( is it far enough away from light polution). Wanneys good surgestion will put it down as a possable. Have never tried this kind of photography before any helpful surgestions. Can guess the obvious good tripod, sutter cable, no moon but anything obvious that may not be obvious that I may overlook would be of help.

In reply to spenser: never been to Bowden Doors at night. I,m sure there are plenty of people on here who have again is it far enough out in the sticks for the Milky way. Guessing it maybe can anyone say for sure.

dek 14 Oct 2014

Northumberlands Dark Skies, ought to be ideal for viewing the Milky Way?! Here's a bit of info, about Kielder for starters...
A quick google, brings up loads of info about 'Dark Sky Parks' all over the the country

http://www.kielderobservatory.org/

graeme jackson 14 Oct 2014
In reply to spenser:
> (In reply to graeme jackson)
>
> I think you're neglecting Bowden Doors there, that's the shortest walk in I've ever done with the exception of Castle Inn Quarry!

Bowden's a veritable hike comapared to Corby's where you have to watch your step if you park too close.
 full stottie 14 Oct 2014

The minor road that goes left from the A1 just past the second Shilbottle turnoff (could be signed Whittingham) goes towards Corby's and before it joins the B6341 Alnwick- Rothbury road, stop at a layby near a radio mast at the highest point. This gives a good 360 sky view - been there on moonless nights with binos and had excellent night skies, especially to west and north west.
Dave
 SteveSBlake 14 Oct 2014

There are several spots near Bellingham where you get big skies from the car, probably as dark as Kielder, but perhaps not as far for you.

The ridgeline just north of Shitlington has road access.

The B6320 that runs north out of Bellingham has several clear high points.

A bit further North, The B road (sorry don't know the number) that runs west from the A68 towards Padon Hill should also be good.

Steve
In reply to SteveSBlake:
Cheers for all the reply. I think I might try two separate sights combine a trip to Corby Crag and Simonside. And combine a trip Bellingham and wanneys. Like I say have never tried this sort of photography before and it will no dought take a bit of luck and trial and error to get a good shot but no ticket on prize. Thanks for the suggestions and I,ll let you all know how I get on.
 andi turner 15 Oct 2014
I imagine Corby ' may be a little polluted from Alnwick. Kielder has always been the classic dark sky site but it's difficult to find something exciting to include in your shot!. Generally the skies are excellent though, so it's as much a case of finding a spot where you like the landscape and know where it will intercept the Milky Way at a given time. Good luck!
 JDal 15 Oct 2014

Lindsiafarne & Bamburgh area are good spots, nice iconic things to get in the frame. You have a decent chance of aurora as well while you're there. Check out the Hidden Northumberland group in FB. Don't know if this link will work https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152474561001376&set=o.2324409...
 David Cowley 16 Oct 2014
The BMC North East page has a great photo on its Facebook page of east woodburn with the sky behind also near this is great wanney and callerhues, you could maybe combine them all though wanney and callerhues are a canny walk in, east woodburn is 5 mins
Post edited at 07:59
 mikehike 16 Oct 2014
In reply to Alex the Alex:

Henhole you may still get light pollution from Wooler, I was just able to see the Milky Way from Mounthooley Hostel, but it was being spoilt by the orange glow from Wooler. Took photos, which were my first of the Milky Way but the orange glow spoilt the shot.
In reply to David Cowley:
Have been to all three of these Call Wanney and East Woodburn eas thinking of wannys and some where around Billingham in a combined trip did not think of East Woodburn and could throw that into the same trip. Also thrre is Curtus ( Spelling ) just by Steethope Lough I could maybe check that out as well.
 JDal 16 Oct 2014

Curtis and Sweethope

There are good shots to be had with turbines and dark skies there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...