UKC

New format on mobile

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dax H 13 Oct 2014
Massive improvement guys, top marks.
Far easier to navigate on my phone and a clearer look too.
In reply to Dax H:

Cheers!
 Dauphin 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

No sir, I don't like it.

D
 zebidee 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Dax H:

Oh yes - far nicer to read.

Performance isn't fantastic - but that might just be my phone caching all the new associated artifacts.

Good job guys.
OP Dax H 13 Oct 2014
In reply to zebidee:

Performance is same as it used to be on my phone (Sony Z1 compact)
 phja 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Dax H:

Much much better. Well done! !
In reply to zebidee:

Cheers, on the whole pages should be lighter on bandwidth than before, some by as much as 60% lighter.
In reply to Dax H:

Glad you like the new responsive site.

Some stats:

- 36% of visitors to UKC are on mobiles or tablets.
- Of these 59% are Apple iOS devices, which is 21% of all visits to the site.
- Android as a proportion of visitors makes up 4.4% of user visits.

Alan
 Postmanpat 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Dax H:

Agreed. Huge improvement on i phone.
 balmybaldwin 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
> (In reply to Dax H)
>
> Glad you like the new responsive site.
>
> Some stats:
>
> - 36% of visitors to UKC are on mobiles or tablets.
> - Of these 59% are Apple iOS devices, which is 21% of all visits to the site.
> - Android as a proportion of visitors makes up 4.4% of user visits.
>
> Alan

That doesn't seem to add up.... There must be much more Android use.... if 41% of mobile/tablet users aren't on iOS, then surely they are mainly on Android (or have climbers got a strange affinity to windows phones?)
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> That doesn't seem to add up.... There must be much more Android use.... if 41% of mobile/tablet users aren't on iOS, then surely they are mainly on Android (or have climbers got a strange affinity to windows phones?)

You are right, my last figure is wrong. I can't actually give a figure for Android use as a percentage since Google Analytics lists every phone as a different 'technology' and I can't be bothered to add up all 1074 small percentages.

The 4.4% figure is for Android browser use on the site as a whole. I guess some people on Android phones are using different browsers.

The highest Windows use is 0.53% for Microsoft RT Tablet in 19th place. The highest Windows phone is 174th place on 0.02% (or 53 user visits last month - that might be 1, 2 or 3 phones) and we appear to have only 1 other Windows phone user.

Alan

zebidee 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Dax H:

Must have been a network or phone glitch as performance seems perfectly fine now.

Just getting used to which icons are which.

Like I said earlier, good job.
 Bob 13 Oct 2014

Since you've indicated that Paul is grabbing some rest, , I'll put this your way.

On Safari on iOS I don't get a title popup for the three icons/buttons at the top of the thread listing on the "My Forums" page. On the desktop these have text associated with them, e.g. the folder icon has "Show recent topics". On my mobile there's just the three icons/buttons, normally on iOS pressing and holding for a second on a link will display the title - if you do this on the individual forum icons it does this. Pressing and holding for longer is the same as right clicking a link on a desktop, this doesn't work either on those links that are styled as buttons.

Overall the site is now generally nicer and much more usable on a mobile.
 tom r 13 Oct 2014
I won't have to switch to opera to use UKC on my phone now! Is a really nice design.
 Dauphin 13 Oct 2014

Android here, chrome browser, why use stock browser? Liked the formatting better on the old site, even if it wasn't optimized for mobile devices.

D
 Mike Stretford 13 Oct 2014

> The 4.4% figure is for Android browser use on the site as a whole. I guess some people on Android phones are using different browsers.

Most are on Chrome. Android has had over 50% share of market for a few years....... you might get more of them now, works well on phone Chrome.

> The highest Windows use is 0.53% for Microsoft RT Tablet in 19th place. The highest Windows phone is 174th place on 0.02% (or 53 user visits last month - that might be 1, 2 or 3 phones) and we appear to have only 1 other Windows phone user.

> Alan

Oh I feel rather exclusive all of a sudden!

Scarab9 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Dax H:

yay! no more struggling to get in a thread because it always opens the one below! looks good
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> Most are on Chrome. Android has had over 50% share of market for a few years....... you might get more of them now, works well on phone Chrome.

This may be so in the world in general, but climbers are far more middle-class and Appled up than the rest of the population.

Alan
In reply to Scarab9:

Love the skip to the bottom of the page button. Used to avoid the site on my phone as I had to manually scroll down long threads.

> Love the skip to the bottom of the page button. Used to avoid the site on my phone as I had to manually scroll down long threads.

Curious how a new site design makes people notice features that aren't new at all. That button has been there for a year or two now as shown on the not-yet-updated UKH http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=600232

Alan
 Toby_W 13 Oct 2014
Oh, lovely a great improvement.

Cheers

Toby

> Curious how a new site design makes people notice features that aren't new at all. That button has been there for a year or two now as shown on the not-yet-updated UKH http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=600232

It's pretty simple.... I never needed it on a desktop, and didn't notice it on the phone as to see the page I'd have to zoom right out. Now it's obvious on the mobile.
 Bob 13 Oct 2014

I think I suggested it (takes bow!) as long threads took forever to scroll to the end of on a tablet and the the clever d*** answer of press the "end" key didn't work for some reason
In reply to Bob: Ah... comes into its own now on the phone. I just drag the sidebar down the the desktop.

Ridge 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Dax H:

Same here, vast improvement!
 John Ww 13 Oct 2014
The highest Windows phone is 174th place on 0.02% (or 53 user visits last month - that might be 1, 2 or 3 phones) and we appear to have only 1 other Windows phone user.

> Alan

That'll be me - do I win a prize??

JW (sent from my Windows Phone)
 freerangecat 13 Oct 2014

I like it on the whole, but is there anything I can do to change the background colour (and/or text colour on the main forum page), as it's hurting my eyes. Did the old version have such a bright white background on threads/the main forum page?

Cat
In reply to freerangecat:

> Did the old version have such a bright white background on threads/the main forum page?

Yes - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=600184

gethin_allen 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Dax H:

I'd like to be able to see who started a thread from the initial forums list page as I value certain poster's threads more than others.

Also, it's a bit of a pain finding the forums at the moment; multiple clicks through pop up menus when previously it was a single click.

I'd agree that I've made fewer mis clicks on the new site so it's definitely easier to use on that criteria.

I'm still figuring things out at the moment.
 balmybaldwin 13 Oct 2014
Like the new linking feature so you can add stuff like so Hot Pants Explosion (6b+)

Hmm... maybe not
Post edited at 20:41
 balmybaldwin 13 Oct 2014
Try again....

Sacred Angel (7a)

Maybe i'm not using it right... typing climb name and choosing one?

Lets try a crag....

Post edited at 20:43
 balmybaldwin 13 Oct 2014
Robin Hood's Stride

Oh... that worked
Post edited at 20:44
Looks like a new bug. It did work in testing but something may have changed since we made it live.

Works in preview.
Post edited at 20:45
 gethin_allen 13 Oct 2014

I agree with the cat, it seems incredibly bright.

Any ideas why?
 freerangecat 13 Oct 2014

That link just brings me back to this thread exactly the same (I'm on my phone), but ok, sorry. It may just be that I couldn't use the old version on my phone or hudl for more than a quick look because everything was too small anyway so i hadn't noticed. I find text on white backgrounds, paper as well,hard to look at at the moment, and the smaller the text (ie smaller screen) the harder I have to focus so the more it hurts. I take it I can't alter the background colour then? (yes, I have the screen brightness as low as it will go)

Thanks
Cat
 balmybaldwin 13 Oct 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

I'm not noticing it (android)... are you sure its not just that other sites are dull and you have your brightness turned up to compensate?
In reply to freerangecat:
> That link just brings me back to this thread exactly the same (I'm on my phone), but ok, sorry. It may just be that I couldn't use the old version on my phone or hudl for more than a quick look because everything was too small anyway so i hadn't noticed.

Ah sorry, it was meant to be the UKHillwalking version but I think we now have something clever to auto-change the links to the site you are on. Let me try again:

www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=600184

Still changes to UKClimbing. So there it is without the hotline. you will have to cut and paste.

Alan
Post edited at 21:23
 loundsy 13 Oct 2014

I still don't like the way the new logbook pages look in my mobile, I've lost the grade and partner columns?
Tim
 ebygomm 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Dax H:

Can we have a view desktop version please?

Pet hate is sites that direct you to mobile versions, especially as this version doesn't seem to play nicely with Opera Mini.

Login only works intermittently, like, dislike, replay and various other buttons don't load images, browsing forward and backward seems to mark all threads as read
 freerangecat 13 Oct 2014

Thanks, that worked. Switching between the two, the new one appears brighter when you try and read the text, even though I can see that the backgrounds are the same. Perhaps it's the change in font that makes it look brighter, the letters are quite a bit thinner aren't they?

Cat
 gethin_allen 13 Oct 2014

> I'm not noticing it (android)... are you sure its not just that other sites are dull and you have your brightness turned up to compensate?

I actually have the brightness down quite low to try and save battery, one of the chores of modern smart phones.
 alasdair19 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Dax H:

works very well on my galaxy 4. Thanks
 Mountain Llama 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Dax H: Wheres the poster info gone? How do you follow ur favourite posters?

> Like the new linking feature so you can add stuff like so Hot Pants Explosion (6b+)

Doh, I introduced a bug when I added the grade just before launch, sorted now. I did that route last month as it happens!
 buzby 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Dax H:

well done guys, a massive improvement on an I phone, id stopped using it via the phone as it was such a faff. much better and much more user friendly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...