UKC

IS and Ebola

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 13 Oct 2014
I wonder if they've thought about sending some of their volunteers to West Africa, to get infected, then sneak into the West. The incubation period would make this feasible.
 Welsh Kate 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

You need to read more Tom Clancy.
Removed User 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Dying a painful and lingering death bleeding from various orifices probably doesn't have the same glamorous appeal to potential martyrs as going out in a massive, and instant, bang.
OP Flinticus 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

No need for them to go through the whole process: infect a load of people then suicide!
 mypyrex 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

I think the danger is, and I saw a mention of it somewhere last week, they could deliberately infect themselves and then, after an incubation period, strap on a suicide vest and...
 krikoman 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Flinticus:
What about getting infected and then suicide bomb, win win for the terrorist surely.

I think it's only a matter of time.

Ooops, really should read all comment before posting, especially the one just above doh!!!
Post edited at 11:48
 mypyrex 13 Oct 2014
In reply to krikoman:

What I said.
 Postmanpat 13 Oct 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> I think the danger is, and I saw a mention of it somewhere last week, they could deliberately infect themselves and then, after an incubation period, strap on a suicide vest and...

Presumably the problem is that they infect their own "colleagues" before they get the "enemy" , but I guess that may not bother them.
 nufkin 13 Oct 2014
In reply to krikoman:

> What about getting infected and then suicide bomb, win win for the terrorist surely.

There's not many instances where a potentially fatal virus and suicide can be regarded as 'win-win'.

I'd have thought the bleeding, fever and general lassitude that comes with Ebola would make it hard to get enthusiastic about getting out for a suicide bombing
 wintertree 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

I think there are other ways than using infected people. There are scientific papers on viable aerosol transmission, although this is not a natural route it is purportedly possibly to engineer. IS don't actually need to do it, they just need to wait a few more weeks for the press to fully hypersensitise the population then capitalize on the mere possibility to spread some terror. Containing that terror whilst facing a small but raised possibility of local infections could probably cause more unrelated deaths by hamstringing the NHS than Ebola would?

Certainly NIH in the USA seem to be very concerned with managing public perception of the risks.
Rigid Raider 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Don't suppose those seventy virgins would be too enthusiastic about a martyr with ebola.
 krikoman 13 Oct 2014
In reply to nufkin:

> I'd have thought the bleeding, fever and general lassitude that comes with Ebola would make it hard to get enthusiastic about getting out for a suicide bombing

But they have 2 to 21 days incubation period where they would be contagious but without symptoms. So it's a possibility.

In reply to Flinticus:

Of course, in medieval times we'd have been ferrying a few West African corpses over there and lobbing them over the IS walls with catapults.

jcm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...