UKC

10+km to half in six weeks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ianstevens 13 Oct 2014
As per the thread title really...

I ran in a 12k, super hilly race yesterday, which seems to have truely cemented me with the running bug! Now I'm after some advice from the more experinced - would I be able to get myself in a condition to do the Conwy half in six weeks in a reasonable time?

Thanks
 Neil Williams 13 Oct 2014
In reply to ianstevens:
Depends how fit you are and what time you want. If you can do a very hilly 12K, you might well find you can get round a half in a reasonable time now. With regularly running 6-10K (about 3 times a week) I decided one day I'd see if I could do it, and just went out and did a 1h58 flat half, and I'm carrying a fair bit of unnecessary weight around.

If you want a particular time, you might well need to do more training.

Neil
Post edited at 14:21
 The New NickB 13 Oct 2014
In reply to ianstevens:

What training are you doing now?
 Stig 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

I agree with everything Neil says especially the first sentence.

But I've done something similar to what you are proposing. My longest run until mid July was 8m tempo; I only ran 20 miles in the whole of August as I was focusing on some audaxes; I then went back to running in September and did a 10k race in the first week. Did a flat 11miler in mid September; 12.4 a fortnight later, and tomorrow another fortnight on I am planning to do a training half. (so approx 5 week period)

I just found the longer runs were a bit tiring and I needed a couple of rest days after but I think the key thing is not to add too much mileage or worry about speed. You should be ok if you have the base from 10k training.

Am also considering doing Conwy - looks like a nice race in one of my favourite places.
In reply to Stig:

If I wasn't already busy that weekend I'd also have done it - it looks good!

Neil
OP ianstevens 13 Oct 2014
In reply to The New NickB:
As of the weekend? None! But up until last week I've been doing about 45k a week (5/6 days) for the past two months, up to about 12k in distance.

My (flat) 10km time is 44:something - to be honest I think on one level I'd be happy with just finishing the half without walking, but on another I'd be keen to do something in the 1:50 type range.

And yes, it looks like a really nice race in a really nice place - hence the motivation to do it!
Post edited at 16:14
In reply to ianstevens:

If you can run a 10k in 44:something happily, particularly a hilly one, I would expect you could easily get round a half if your only criterion was "no walking". If you want a better time...well, over to those who know about training! (I'm not very scientific about it)

Neil
OP ianstevens 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

Cheers for the advice guys - I might have to go for it!
 The New NickB 14 Oct 2014
In reply to ianstevens:

Get back training, build up your distance on the longer run. A sub 45 10k suggests about 1:40 for half. You might end up not doing enough long stuff because of your time constraints, but you should still do under 1:50.
 Dom Brown 14 Oct 2014
In reply to ianstevens:
If you can run a 44 something 10K you'll be fine, I just ran the royal parks half in 1:42 my longest run up till that point had been 13K with a 10K PB around 47.
Post edited at 13:54

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...