UKC

Dry tooling - Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr. Lee 15 Oct 2014
Anybody know of any such crags? I live in Oslo and need to find some places to dry tool in prep for winter. Happy to drive a moderate distance. There's a place near Drammen that I know has a handful of routes. I know Kroken has a small selection of routes. I've onsighted up to M7 and could probably work something slightly harder. Any other venues worth mentioning that might be worthwhile? Looking for bolted stuff away away from existing summer rock lines.
 GarethSL 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:
A quick skim shows some hint of places around Bergen, not so much use to you, though I have never heard of any locations, nor anyone doing it outside of winter/ without ice.

http://www.fjellforum.no/topic/18188-dry-tooling/

lvngthdrm ever helpful, something in Andøya... https://lvngthdrm.wordpress.com/2014/03/18/trenger-vi-sno-2/ equally as unhelpful.

All the stuff here is ice/mixed in winter and sport routes in summer.

You could always find a grotty quarry, I thought about setting up one, but couldn't get any interest and now its turning into fancy apartments :/
Post edited at 10:54
 wbo 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:
I think your best option is to learn to place bolts and sort yourself out. Drytooling crags are rare - I don't know of anything around Stavanger as an example
OP Mr. Lee 15 Oct 2014
In reply to wbo:

Yes I have bolting routes in mind. I can get hold of a bolt gun quite easily. I've only been living in Oslo since May. Don't really feel I have a lie of the land sufficiently quite yet. Need to keep exploring and for a little while I think. In the short-term it's good to start where there are existing routes. Maybe these crags can be developed...

No, don't really think there is any real development in Norway so this post was more of a long shot. No real ethics concensus surrounding dry tooling either so want to set a good precedence.

Most of the quarries I've seen don't look friendly places for climbing and it doesn't seen 'normal' to climb in quarries in Norway. I imagine there could be problems! Also, I think the local residents association will have issues with me using the kids playground outside more flat for practice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...