UKC

Rope bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GridNorth 15 Oct 2014
Does anyone know of a rope bag that is essentially a simple, lightweight, low volume, tarp with a shoulder strap and perhaps some straps to cinch it up tight. I have an Arcteryx rope bag but it doesn't really pack up conveniently into a rucksack. I don't mind it for sport climbing but I would like something for my 50 x 8.5mm half rope that packs away small as I only want to take it out when get to the crag. The nearest I've seen is the Edelrid Liner but I don't know how compact it is in practice, I've only seen it on-line. I suppose at a push I could sew something on to a tarp I already have but the wife is not too happy about me doing that as her sewing machine does not like thicker materials.

I shall treat all suggestions regarding IKEA bags with the contempt they deserve.

Al
 winhill 15 Oct 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

There's the trango cord trapper or sterling rock tarp or you could get a moon rope bag with removable tarp and either use an old belt or sew on the other half of the buckles to use the insitu ones.
 Fraser 15 Oct 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

As winhill says, the Trango option is very good. A friend just got one and I think I'll be ordering one too. Ideal for saving some space in a rucksack.

http://www.bananafingers.co.uk/trango-cord-trapper-p-2660.html
needvert 15 Oct 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/ropemaster.html I have the hc for doubles and regular for single.
OP GridNorth 15 Oct 2014
In reply to needvert:

The Trango one doesn't have a handle or shoulder strap though, does it? I want something that I take out at the crag and use to carry the rope between routes without having to pack it away in the rucksack.

I own an Arcteryx bag which is very good but has a plastic reinforcement round the edge making it awkward to pack away.

The Metolius one is too bulky when packed in the rucksack without the rope. I have a tarp that would be good if it only had compression and shoulder straps. It packs away flat in the bladder compartment. All these others have the bag part which causes the unnecessary and unwanted bulk as it is more substantial than the tarp.
In reply to GridNorth:
Pod sac do a simple draw string tarp with two handles but no shoulder strap. http://www.podsacs.com/i/q/CCPODRP/pod-rope-pod

I have one and happy with it. It does have an internal belay mat/shoe pouch, but you could easily cut that off it not required.
OP GridNorth 15 Oct 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

This is the one that is nearest to my requirements, I'm just not sure how bulky it is when packed flat.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/edelrid-liner-rope-bag-p194168?gclid=CPSYpPPdrs...

I just wondered if there was anything similar perhaps produced by one of these less well known, small one man operations.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
 ByEek 15 Oct 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

Can you not just put your rope in your rucksack like climbers have done for years? You can usually find a dry rock or bit of grass to uncoil your rope onto to stop the grit getting in.
 winhill 15 Oct 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

There's a guy on ebay who sells a tarp bag, threaded with a draw string and has a shoulder strap, he's been on a 'last few' for months but now it's last one, works out under £12 including postage. Worth a punt maybe.
OP GridNorth 15 Oct 2014
In reply to ByEek:

I'm trying to look after my ropes a little better and many crags in the South West are very dirty underfoot because of all the vegetation. There is also the convenience of not having to recoil the ropes as you move onto another route. If it were Stanage I might not bother.
 Fraser 15 Oct 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

> The Trango one doesn't have a handle or shoulder strap though, does it? I want something that I take out at the crag and use to carry the rope between routes without having to pack it away in the rucksack.

No, it has neither, but if you just grab the 4 corners of the tarp, it lifts fine and is no trouble to carry. Going any great distance and you'd probably be taking your rucksack too, so can just shove it back in there.

Decathlon do a small, courier-style Simond bag. I've not seen one in the flesh (just their larger, circular one which is excellent due to the perimeter draw-string & handles on the tarp) but it might be worth checking out:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/simond-rope-bag-id_8173554.html

OP GridNorth 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Fraser:

The Decathlon one looks like the kind of thing I'm after. Thank you.
In reply to GridNorth:

I've got the Edelrid Liner. It is pretty much a tarp with an end folded over to make a little bag. It's bigger than a rope on its own but I don't see how you could get a bag with a tarp any smaller.
needvert 15 Oct 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

So the met bag isnt much more than a tarp shoulder strap and buckles. There is a bit of fabric in the bag body,

That said I have thought of making my own rope bag. Perhaps tyvec, or CF if I'm feeling rich.
OP GridNorth 16 Oct 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

Thanks everyone, I've sent for the Simond one from Decathlon. I went to my local GO Outdoors yesterday evening to look at the Edelrid Liner but they did not have one. At £12 can't really go wrong for what I want it for.

Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...