UKC

Ankle strengthening

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 16 Oct 2014
Any tips for strengthening my ankles?
I've had a few knocks over the years due largely to bouldering without due care and attention and I am really feeling this is getting in the way of enjoying trail running. I mostly run on tarmac and don't have a lot of hills and things to play with round here so I was ideally looking for a selection of exercises to build up my ankles a bit so when I do escape to somewhere properly hilly I don't look like I'm wearing flippers after 2 miles.

Thanks
 kathrync 16 Oct 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:
My right ankle was getting quite weak after a couple of instances of bouldering without due care and attention and it was beginning to affect my enjoyment of being in the hills because I was going over on it so often. I have found that running on trails has made a really big difference. Probably not much help to you, but at least it bumps your post

I think most physios would point you in the direction of a wobble-board if that helps...
Post edited at 17:16
 grommet 16 Oct 2014
I go over a lot on mine and do exercises using wobble boards and wobble cushions. I didnt think there was much muscle there to build up and have had to also build up thigh muscles, but I'm sure people will have suggestions.
Standing on one leg at every opportunity and going up onto the toe useful too( waiting at the printer, cleaning teeth etc)
Post edited at 17:34
 Richie Rich 16 Oct 2014

Although you don't have hills to run on what about bridleways/footpaths/parks etc anything with an uneven surface will help, beach / gravel.

When stood up try standing on 1 foot without wobbling, then a slight bend in knee, or throwing and catching a tennis ball against the wall.

Also wobble board and then wobble board with the tennis ball, heel drops on the stairs as well.

Rich
 oliverk 16 Oct 2014
I was recently talking to one of the top fell runners in Scotland about this. His strategy was really simple, stand on one foot whenever brushing your teeth, with a change over after one minute.
Post edited at 18:40
 MonkeyPuzzle 16 Oct 2014

I do a four or five one-leg squats in my warm-up and warm-down. They're really good for ankles, knees and hamstrings.
OP Reach>Talent 17 Oct 2014
In reply to all:
Thanks, that will hopefully sort things out!

iccle_bully 17 Oct 2014

This has been talked about extensively on here and on the other channel. Do a search as people (myself included) have put up specific exercises to help strengthen ankles either as injury recovery or prevention measures.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...