UKC

What's wrong with 5.10 Verdes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 16 Oct 2014
Hi,

I bought a pair of 5.10 Anasazi Verde this August. They are quite at performance fit, so they are quite tight and it's not easy to take them on and off. For a reference, I usually wear size 8.5 trainers and got a pair of size 8 Evolv Shamans (they made my feet numb after a semi-hanging belay for one pitch). Verdes are size 7.

After 5 weeks of use, I noticed that the fabric between two pull tabs is torn. I went to Cotswolds who were happy to replace them - good for me! I received a new pair of shoes on 30th of September and I found a another tear near pull tab (now it's in a different place, next to pull tab, but not between two of them)! So they lasted 2 weeks. Brilliant.

I really like these shoes and I feel like I can climb harder with them rather than with Evolv Shamans (unless it's very overhanging/roof climb). Pinks should be very similar to the greens, but I would have to pay some extra in order to get Pinks and I didn't try them yet. I just like greens. So good at edging and they fit like a glove. Scarpa shoes don't fit my feet and I don't want Evolvs again (shoes are alright, but their customer service in the UK is not so great). La Sportiva shoes were okay too, but they are quite pricey for a student.

Any ideas what to do? Any shoe recommendations?
 Stevie989 16 Oct 2014
In reply to PPP:

Pinks - you won't be disappointed.
 Quiddity 17 Oct 2014
In reply to PPP:
For me the pink is a distinctly different shoe than every other Anasazi I have tried (whites, greens, velcro and the old pink) - the fit of the toe box has been tweaked and I no longer get a decent fit out of them, the toe box feels sized for a less aggressive fit but the effect is that it pinches my toes in the end as they are sitting flatter and less bunched. Contrary to the previous poster, I was indeed deeply disappointed - although they might work for you. You could also try the Anasazi VCS, which should be a very similar fit to the Verde.

If you want to try something different, Tenaya (Masai for a stiffer lace, Inti for a softer velcro) seem to get good reviews and are good value for money, fit is similar to five ten but not sure how the sizing compares.
Post edited at 09:24
 jkarran 17 Oct 2014
In reply to PPP:

I'd suggest if you like your greens but they're tearing getting them on then you probably have them too tight and or you need to take more care pulling them on. Open the laces a bit most of the way down to the toes and arch your foot as it goes in, it's a pain but it makes life much easier. I've had various 5.10s over the years and the area around the pull on tabs has invariably suffered damage, you just have to be more careful with them than some other shoes which seem tougher in this area.

jk
 neilh 17 Oct 2014
In reply to PPP:

I bought a pair last March. Have to admit that have been looking at replacing them since August. The lining quality is poor leading to incredibly sweaty feet and they are dripping after wearing them for a few hours. I have had at least 4 pairs of greens, never had any issues .

I like the shape, it's a pity.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...