UKC

Peak conditions tomorrow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MatthewV 17 Oct 2014
It's been pretty wet (round Cambridgeshire at least) for the last week, and the MWIS forecast for the Peak District says:

"Widely dry after overnight rain gradually clears southeastwards after dawn. Small threat of the rain only slowly clearing the Peak District, and of scattered heavy showers northwestern areas of the Yorkshire Dales NP later in day. "

I'm guessing this combination means that conditions for climbing in the Peak tomorrow aren't likely to be much cop? It's a fair way to go just to decide everything's wet and horrible!

Removed User 17 Oct 2014
In reply to MatthewV:

Just go somewhere quick drying it'll be reet.
 Jon Stewart 17 Oct 2014
In reply to MatthewV:

Looking at the forecast, I think it'll be a bit crap. But if you want to go climbing, it should be perfectly possible to find a crag with plenty of dry routes by late morning. Not nice conditions, but fine as long you're OK with residual dampness, wet ground, some routes under water, etc.
 GrahamD 17 Oct 2014
In reply to MatthewV:

Doesn't look like a bad forecast to me. Just choose the crag when you get to the peak depending on the actual conditions.

From Cambridge, you would never get any climbing done if you let slightly iffy forecasts put you off going. Having ploughed the furrow up the M1 for many years on much worse forecasts than that, its actually very rare to get rained off if you get your crag choice right.
 deacondeacon 17 Oct 2014
In reply to MatthewV:

Jon thinks there's only about 4 days a year that the conditions are worth getting out Of bed for. Go to the peak, there'll be plenty of dry rock. There's nothing more annoying than finding out the conditions were fine and you spent the weekend down south.
 ByEek 17 Oct 2014
In reply to MatthewV:

You can climb at Stanage so long as there is a good drying wind and the showers aren't too persistent. It generally takes 10 - 30 minutes for the main walls to try after a shower.
 wazzalad20 17 Oct 2014
In reply to MatthewV:

Been at stanage today, not the best conditions on the boulders but absolutely fine for most of the trad routes. Seemed a bit damp around the plantation area due to the trees but you should be fine
In reply to MatthewV:

popped out to Birchen Edge to get some bouldering in before sunset. The crag has dried out nicely as usual, there's a drying breeze, so if there's enough time between showers it'll be ok tomorrow.
 LakesWinter 17 Oct 2014
In reply to MatthewV:

Go somewhere sheltered like Rivelin, check the met office rain forecast to check shower patterns etc, Wharncliffe is lower and hidden from much of the rain off a SW or W wind too
 Si dH 17 Oct 2014
In reply to LakesWinter:

On the contrary it's warm enough that you need every bit of wind going, to avoid the grease. Should be pretty good then.
 Blue Straggler 17 Oct 2014
In reply to Si dH:

Bamford then?
 alasdair19 18 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

warm and windy this morning should be good in a couple of hours. ..
 BusyLizzie 18 Oct 2014
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> popped out to Birchen Edge to get some bouldering in before sunset. >

Can I just say how bright green with envy that makes me, here in the flatlands of Berkshire!!!

Enjoy.
 deacondeacon 18 Oct 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

Yep, my drive is dry and I'll be heading to the crag in ten minutes
 abr1966 18 Oct 2014
In reply to deacondeacon:

Ive just come in from walking the dog....i live down the road from windgather. Its a bit damp out still but a fair breeze and should brighten up...mid afternoon should be ok, im going to head over to castle naze...
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Can I just say how bright green with envy that makes me, here in the flatlands of Berkshire!!!

> Enjoy.

>

oops
will it help if I say I can walk up to Froggatt and Curbar from my back garden? Guess not....
 BusyLizzie 20 Oct 2014
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:
> will it help if I say I can walk up to Froggatt and Curbar from my back garden? Guess not....>

Well, I want to say ggrrr no no no - but in a funny way it makes me happy that there are places from which you can do that. One day I may get to live somewhere like that, or at least within sight of mountains.

deacondeacon 20 Oct 2014
In reply to MatthewV:

Well did you get out?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...