UKC

Christmas presents for Girlfriends/Wifes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 17 Oct 2014
Coming up to this time of the year again. Subtle hints have been given and missed!
Looking ideas for Thoughtful, kind and Cheap gifts.
Ideas? suggestions ? Must haves?
 girlymonkey 17 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

We do a stocking for each other with a £15 limit. Everything in it must be useful (or at least going to be used, whether strictly useful or not! A folding frisbee maybe isn't technically useful, but it won't get binned!). I think it's a great way of doing it as you really have to put loads of though and effort into it, and the other person appreciates the effort you have been to. I made a crampon bag, embroidered with his initials, one year, that sort of thing goes down well as it's more personal. Obviously, this has to be a joint decision for it to work!
 ByEek 17 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

We don't bother with subtle hints any more. We simply tell each other what we want. It kind of removes some of the surprise, but it saves a tonne of agro.
 LastBoyScout 17 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Technically, it should be quite easy this year - neither my wife or I will get any interest and the baby will get everything :-D

More seriously, I know she wants some new clothes in the new year, before she goes back to work, and is planning a serious wardrobe clearance at some point, so either clothes/money should do.

I also do her a stocking as a bit of fun and have a few ideas - including a hair net, after what I fished out of the plug hole last night :-D
Wiley Coyote2 17 Oct 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> We simply tell each other what we want. It kind of removes some of the surprise, but it saves a tonne of agro.

Lucky you! I told Mrs C what I wanted last year (ok, it was a new rope) and was told that was boring. So she bought me a digital video camera, which I did not want and I got a b*ll*cking for not using it. Still, could be worse, an ex once thought she should get me a guitar because I sometimes do the middle-aged air guitar bit when Clapton's on. Never learned to play that either. Nor sure I even learned how to tune it properly.

FrankBooth 17 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:
> Looking ideas for Thoughtful, kind and Cheap gifts.

They're very subjective parameters. Think you might want to work backwards, and define 'cheap'?
 gribble 17 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

I got my girlfriend a secondhand spare wheel for the van last year. This year we got married. Some women just like practical presents I guess.
In reply to goldmember:

Belay glassses.
 GridNorth 17 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

I think you should spend equal amounts on each of them.
 The New NickB 17 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:
At Christmas we always have a limit on Christmas presents for each other of about £50 and try and be a bit creative, often lots of little things. We then treat ourselves to a weekend away in a nice hotel in January.

Birthdays are a bit different, we usually ask what the other want and add a surprise present as well. Jill's birthday is only a few weeks off so she will be getting some new fell shoes, some perfume and something else I haven't decided yet. Obviously we will go for a nice meal as well.

All a bit rambling, but the point is, you should know better than most what your other half likes.
Post edited at 13:13
 BusyLizzie 18 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Just a reminder that climbing girlies who also like earrings will be delighted by this sort of thing:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=climbing+earrings&client=firefox-a&am...

(or just google for "climbing earrings").

L
abseil 18 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

> Ideas? suggestions ?

As I said on a previous thread on the topic, I always give Mrs. Abseil, and baby Abseil, cash. (They insist that is what they want).

***Am I clever - or boring?***

(PS IMO the best reply on this thread so far is "I got my girlfriend a secondhand spare wheel for the van last year", excellent!)
 Ramblin dave 18 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

I got my girlfriend a Black and Decker Workmate for Christmas last year and she loved it!

Your mileage may vary, though...
mgco3 18 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

I will get 'er indoors exactly what she wants.

When I asked her was there anything that she really wanted she replied "Nothing really"!

So that's what she is getting ! Nothing
 birdie num num 18 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

I get Mrs Num Num brown ale, and my girlfriend Champagne.
 Bob Hughes 19 Oct 2014
In reply to birdie num num:

> I get Mrs Num Num brown ale, and my girlfriend Champagne.

a master of metaphor?
 Toerag 19 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Give her a bowler hat and a cucumber. If she doesn't like the hat she can go.....
 icnoble 19 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Every time I buy a new piece of photographic equipment my wife says that is my xmas present.
 BnB 19 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:
My wife needs a new red and a new gold Camelot in case she ever takes up climbing
Post edited at 20:20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...